JOB ..?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
didn't the devil test job because he said he only loved God for everything God was blessing him with?? ....and God told the devil that he doesn't love because all that he gives him...so that makes me wonder...why else would we possibly love God?? Don't we love him because:
1. he's God, and our saviour / he GAVE us salvation
2. He helps us with our lives/ GIVES us stuff
ughhm i don't know how else to put it...but don;t you generally love someone becaus eof what they give you/do for you!? ...

Comments

• [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

don;t you generally love someone becaus eof what they give you/do for you!? ...

Definitely not.  If you love a person because of what they do for you, then it's a self-seeking love.  You get something out of the relationship and so you are using them.  Should they ever stop giving you stuff, you would cease to love them, and that is certainly not love.  We love God because 'He first loved us' (1 John 4:19).  We should not love God merely because He gives us stuff.  We love Him for who He is.  We love Him because He is our Heavenly Father.  Do you love your own father simply because he gives you stuff?  Of course not.  Why should that be the case with God then?
  • i see what you're saying...but ..yes, we love God for who he is..but that's my point....he gave us salvation and and love and ect. idk..i can't exactly explain what i'm thinking..=/
  • we should love our lord jesus christ for that that he is our father
    i don't know(god forgives me) but dont't u love ur father here on earth?
    u love him because he is ur father...not for that that he gives u food, and so on
    so we should love our father in heaven who is our way our truth and our life
    god bless u
    pray for me
    forgive me if i said somthing wrong

[quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5194.msg69796#msg69796 date=1176617215]he gave us salvation and and love and ect.

I think I sort of understand.  Here's my question for you: before the fall, did Adam and Eve love God?  and if so, why?
  • of course i love my father on earth...more then anythig..but i don't really know why...=/?...and i guess adam and eve loved God before the fall...wait..what fall?

'The Fall' is what is commonly known as when Adam and Eve ate the fruit and were expelled from the Garden of Eden.  They had a 'fall from grace' if you will.  They sinned and were cast from the presence of God.  Anyway, you are quite correct that they loved God before the fall (before the plan of Salvation was known and set into motion).  They loved God because He loved them.  They loved God because He was their Father.  The same reason you love your father, because he is there for you.  He comforts you if you are down, and lifts you up when you fall.  God does the exact same thing as our Heavenly Father.  Our love is merely a reflection of His in the same way the light of the moon is merely a reflection of the sun's light.  The why is simple, and as I've stated before: We love God because 'He first loved us' (1 John 4:19).  It's as simple as that.
  • that really makes sense...thanks :)
    uhmm, this makes me think....why exactly does God love us?!??
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5194.msg72096#msg72096 date=1181188917]
    why exactly does God love us?!??

I guess the short answer is: because 'God is love' (1 John 4:8).
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5194.msg69637#msg69637 date=1176351837]
    didn't the devil test job because he said he only loved God for everything God was blessing him with?? ....and God told the devil that he doesn't love because all that he gives him...so that makes me wonder...why else would we possibly love God?? Don't we love him because:
    ughhm i don't know how else to put it...but don;t you generally love someone becaus eof what they give you/do for you!? ...

You quoted: "didn't the devil test job because he said he only loved God for everything God was blessing him with??"

2:10 "What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?"

To answer your question, No. To quote: Job1:21

"And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. 22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly."

Job continued to bless God and that's why the devil continues on... Chapter 2:1
    "1.  Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause."

I think it was the opposite of how you've stated it, copticcross3. Perhaps, Job couldn't understand why God was testing him. Again applying this within our own lives. We don't always understand the reasonings of God or why we go through trials & sufferings. But we have to trust in God to know that He will take care of us during those painful periods, I know it's easier said then done. Each time Satan returns back before the throne with something new "up his sleeves"he continues to assume that Job will give-in to the suffering and will eventually turn away from God. As the passage quotes:  2:10 "What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?"

• [quote author=mimi50 link=topic=5194.msg73606#msg73606 date=1183199566]
    [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5194.msg69637#msg69637 date=1176351837]

You quoted: "didn't the devil test job because he said he only loved God for everything God was blessing him with??"

2:10 "What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?"

To answer your question, No. To quote: Job1:21

"And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. 22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly."

Job continued to bless God and that's why the devil continues on... Chapter 2:1
    "1.  Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause."

I think it was the opposite of how you've stated it, copticcross3. Perhaps, Job couldn't understand why God was testing him. Again applying this within our own lives. We don't always understand the reasonings of God or why we go through trials & sufferings. But we have to trust in God to know that He will take care of us during those painful periods, I know it's easier said then done. Each time Satan returns back before the throne with something new "up his sleeves"he continues to assume that Job will give-in to the suffering and will eventually turn away from God. As the passage quotes:  2:10 "What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?"

Two add'tl thoughts:

Remember what happened to Joseph and his brothers toward the very end:
    Genesis 50: 20 "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive."

Joseph consistant faith in God's plan (although very painful) continues*on toward it's path* for everyone to see toward the very end, God's beautiful glory. Again, apply this into our everyday life, it's only when we turn and place doubt in our souls does God glory fall short.  Always ask God to strenghten you/us until the time for His Glory to be revealed through our trials.....and sometimes it's toward the very end.

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. {Rom 5:3-5 NIV}

• [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5194.msg69637#msg69637 date=1176351837]

i think you should read Job again.
    When we glorify God when temptations come it is a greater thing than when you are well.Because it is harder to do as there is a struggle. An example of this is when the tsunami happened in Indonesia and the people there were interviewed by an ex catholic monk and not one of them blasphemed God but focused on their own sinfulness.

By going through tempations like Job did it shows whether or not you truly love God or not. If you love God it doesn't matter if He gives you goods or not. The love is very superficial then if you love someone because they are nice to you.
  • ok so that's superficial love..then what other reason would you love someone for???
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

You love someone for being themself.  Remember one of Christ's most difficult commandments 'Love your enemies'.  Now, clearly an enemy is not someone who is nice to you, and yet, we are called to love them.  How can you love such a person?  Because they too are created in the image and likeness of God.  Because they too possess in them the potential for good and love, and it is these characteristics that you should focus on because they are reflections of God's Goodness and Love.
  • so you're basically saying...find the good in everyone and love them for it?
    cuz, if that's how love is defined...then i really honestly do "love" everybody....
    ..>???!?!
  • When you cannot easily control it: try limit hate to only the bad deeds, they are all somehow due to some satan intervention, do not hate the persons themselves. Instead you should love and help them as much as you can. With God's Grace exercise Love combined with Wisdom.

Do not fall into sin yourself as it is a "price" you should never (and are not meant to) pay for the Love of others. At all times pray for the Lord's blessings, guidance and protection.

GBU