me and my friends debate about this a lot...

2»

Comments

• plz forgive me for not reading the other posts but i dont belive tatoos or wearing ear rings defines you.........its become more of a trend in society than anything else....one needs to respect their body and themselves.........certain characteristics and material things often define or divide the sexes such as the ear rings or make up for example....
    many of my friends come from a pacific islander background and their tatoos stem from cultural traditions more so than fitting into society or to look "cool" or "hot"

anyways relating back to religion..........your body is not your own........God created it...............so respect urself and ur body

God bless and take care
  • hey

ok i understand from the original post there are 3 issues

1. boys and earrings - well in the older times male slaves were made to wear an earring in order to be identified - we are against this because Christ came to the world to save us from our sins and therefore we are no longer slaves to anything or any one Christ made us free - thats the reason we are against that i believe.

2. girls and long hair - the hair on a woman is her crown - it says that somewhere in the Bible cant think of the reference now - thats the reason it shud b covered in church

3.tattoos - as Kerestina mentioned - your body is a temple to Christ and it shouldnt be defaced - there is a verse about that inthe Bible too again cant remember the reference - that is why we are against the tattoo thing

ok hope i helped

Kristina123
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5105.msg69068#msg69068 date=1174907008]
    plz forgive me for not reading the other posts but i dont belive tatoos or wearing ear rings defines you.........its become more of a trend in society than anything else....one needs to respect their body and themselves.........certain characteristics and material things often define or divide the sexes such as the ear rings or make up for example....
    many of my friends come from a pacific islander background and their tatoos stem from cultural traditions more so than fitting into society or to look "cool" or "hot"

anyways relating back to religion..........your body is not your own........God created it...............so respect urself and ur body

God bless and take care

Excellent point Kerestina. There's no debate there that your body should be respected as you rightly said. However, what about people who have tatoos of crosses on their wrists??

I think its a great idea to this tatoo on your wrist as it reminds you that your body DOES in fact belong to Christ, so to ahve that on your wrist is OK. But then, where does it end? What if a person just liked to have a tatoo of Rafael's Last Supper tatooed on his back?? Its also art.

I mean, there does seem to be double standards here. Tatooing is wrong, but NOT unless its of a cross??

I see it this way still: if its accepted in your society, fine - but if its against your parent's wishes, this has to take precedence.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5105.msg69070#msg69070 date=1174908360]

Excellent point Kerestina. There's no debate there that your body should be respected as you rightly said. However, what about people who have tatoos of crosses on their wrists??

I think its a great idea to this tatoo on your wrist as it reminds you that your body DOES in fact belong to Christ, so to ahve that on your wrist is OK. But then, where does it end? What if a person just liked to have a tatoo of Rafael's Last Supper tatooed on his back?? Its also art.

I mean, there does seem to be double standards here. Tatooing is wrong, but NOT unless its of a cross??

Hey Vas,
    for me simply,if a tatoo is not of a religious nature then its unacceptable............and im referring to ppl who get tatoos on cetain parts of their body with images of hearts or dolphins (sorry for the wacky example)
    for me personally.....this is my opinion not the churches........i dont mind tatoos that are of a religious or cultural nature such as my pacific islander friends i was referring to b4

i dont think its a double standard but with anything there are reasonable exceptions....

with the tatoo on the wrist, i find eventho i dont have one that it creates an opportunity for discussion about your religion

[quote author=vassilios link=topic=5105.msg69070#msg69070 date=1174908360]
    I see it this way still: if its accepted in your society, fine - but if its against your parent's wishes, this has to take precedence.

i agree with you..............but even if its acceptable by society we need to define what is in our best interest and reasonable..........we dont need to abide by societies standards jus becoz its acceptable
  • mean, there does seem to be double standards here. Tatooing is wrong, but NOT unless its of a cross??

hmmmmmm??? who says this? as i understand the Pope said that people should no longer be getting those crosses as they not only pose health risks but go against the relevant verses in the Bible.

there are no exceptions ppl are under a mistaken assumption that its ok to tatoo a cross well i dont see where it says that

it once was necessary for historical reasons but now is not

please clarify to me where the double standard is?

kristina123
  • firstly it aint madam and it aint kris - its Kristina123

well who worte that quote? fancy stating a quote without mentioning the author???!!?!?

the verses from the Bible are those to which you yourself were referring i cant remember the reference but i will certainly endeavour to find them and susequently post them.

as for the words of the Pope i heard it in a sermon once and unfortunatly i cant remeber the reference either. but im sure other members of the forum may be able to assist.

As for me having the cross on my wrist i dont see why its relevant? if you referring to the issue of hypocricy well again thats irrelevant as it makes no difference as to whether the concept is right or wrong. let me give u an example - if im a murderer and i post here and say that murder is wrong what relevance has the fact that im a murderer to the crime of murder being wrong? u seem to be a little confused and i ask u to keep ur posts to issues of relevance that go to the heart of the matter rather than being side tracked.

i dont beleive they are the historical reasons i was referring to.

anyway we wear the cross on a chain - i beleive that serves the same purpose also we have the cross in our hearts and thats all thats required!

Kristina123
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=topic=5105.msg69077#msg69077 date=1174914109]
    firstly it aint madam and it aint kris - its Kristina123

ooooooo sorrry kristina 123 wud u like me to buy u a pacifer??

[quote author=Kristina123 link=topic=5105.msg69077#msg69077 date=1174914109]
    well who worte that quote? fancy stating a quote without mentioning the author???!!?!?
    the verses from the Bible are those to which you yourself were referring i cant remember the reference but i will certainly endeavour to find them and susequently post them.

plz do endeavour.............and sorry i didnt realise i had to reference everything i wrote but if ur commenting in reagrds to the bible or quoting the pope u need to provide these "relevant" verses of urs to support ur argument and dont forget my dear i DO NOT support tattooing

as for the words of the Pope i heard it in a sermon once and unfortunatly i cant remeber the reference either. but im sure other members of the forum may be able to assist.

well think harder..........umm's dont provide a substantial answer

As for me having the cross on my wrist i dont see why its relevant? if you referring to the issue of hypocricy well again thats irrelevant as it makes no difference as to whether the concept is right or wrong. let me give u an example - if im a murderer and i post here and say that murder is wrong what relevance has the fact that im a murderer to the crime of murder being wrong? u seem to be a little confused and i ask u to keep ur posts to issues of relevance that go to the heart of the matter rather than being side tracked.

dont put words in my mouth...........i didnt say u were a hypocrite dont imply that i did...........and even if...............i did imply so which i didnt ..............u cant say tatto's are wrong and then have one urself.......and no im not confused..........thankx for ur concern tho...........but ill refrain from commenting on ur exaggerated reply

i dont beleive they are the historical reasons i was referring to.

what are u referring to??

ps. sorry about the rushed response..........someone seems to be nagging me every 5 min
  • ooooooo sorrry kristina 123 wud u like me to buy u a pacifer??

apology accepted

plz do endeavour.............

i already said i will

and sorry i didnt realise i had to reference everything i wrote

apology accepted

but if ur commenting in reagrds to the bible or quoting the pope u need to provide these "relevant" verses of urs to support ur argument

i already said i would endeavour to find those verses
    secondly i aint involved in no argument - thats the view of the church!

and dont forget my dear i DO NOT support tattooing but i do not see any problems with a cross on ones wrist

well that argument u put forth is problematic as it seems to be contradictory

umm's dont provide a substantial answer

there were no ummm's anywhere in my post

dont put words in my mouth...........

i made a very reasonable implication - and besides what did u mean with that comment?

and no im not confused..........

i beg to differ

LOOK im not going to engage in these discussions any further - its pointless - what i said in my first post represents the view of the church if you have any dramas with that then consult the Pope

as for the references to verses and sermons once i have obtained such information i will post

i hope that has cleared things up

Kristina123
  • lol you fa fa balungi

gee you wasted alot of space on a useless post
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=topic=5105.msg69073#msg69073 date=1174911115]

mean, there does seem to be double standards here. Tatooing is wrong, but NOT unless its of a cross??

hmmmmmm??? who says this? as i understand the Pope said that people should no longer be getting those crosses as they not only pose health risks but go against the relevant verses in the Bible.

there are no exceptions ppl are under a mistaken assumption that its ok to tatoo a cross well i dont see where it says that

it once was necessary for historical reasons but now is not

please clarify to me where the double standard is?

kristina123

Hi Kerestina123,

That's so interesting to hear actually. It makes sense that it shouldn't be allowed. As kerestina said, the body should be respected, and a tatoo would be wrong. Can you retrieve or tell us more about the article in which the Pope said that such tatoos were wrong.

Yes, you are right also, i think tatoos can be damaging to your health.

• is someone gonna conclude this topic.

At the end of the day: should earings and tatoos be allowed on Christian men?

Yes or NO!! ????

(( and what the heck was wrong with my example in that i made an association between what the devil has done and revolutionists: those trying to go against God's plan for us))
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

To conclude this topic, I will appeal to what St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 10.

23.  "All things are lawful," but not all things are beneficial. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up.
    24.  Do not seek your own advantage, but that of the other.
    25.  Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience,
    26.  for "the earth and its fullness are the Lord's."
    27.  If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience.
    28.  But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, out of consideration for the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience--
    29.  I mean the other's conscience, not your own. For why should my liberty be subject to the judgment of someone else's conscience?
    30.  If I partake with thankfulness, why should I be denounced because of that for which I give thanks?
    31.  So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
    32.  Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God,
    33.  just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, so that they may be saved.

Basically, the choice in the end is yours.  You decide what you want to do, whether it be getting piercings or a tattoo or anything for that matter.  HOWEVER, you should bear in mind that your actions not only affect you, but those around you and you do not wish to be a stumbling block to others.  So the conclusion is that there really is no set yes or no/ this is allowed or this is not allowed answer.  It is up to you and your conscience, but you have to be aware that your actions do hold consequences and so thought should be put into what your decision should be.

Please pray for me.
  • That's why im saying that if it is offensive to your parents, do not do it. Why offend them by something that is based on fashion?

Most likely, if u are Coptic, and of Egyptian background, i'm 99% sure they'll ask u to remove your earing before boarding a plane and landing in Cairo.

And if you will not wear your earing when in Egypt, its best to never wear it at all.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

It's ironic though, because there was a time when it was culturally acceptable to wear earrings (in Egypt).  If we look back at the Pharonic ages, it was quite common for men to wear earrings.  This is apparent by looking at the masks worn by the Pharaohs and noticing that in the ear lobes, there are 'holes' where earrings were placed.  I wonder when it started to become culturally unacceptable to not wear earrings anymore.

Please pray for me.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5105.msg69081#msg69081 date=1174918324]
    Hi Kerestina123,

That's so interesting to hear actually. It makes sense that it shouldn't be allowed. As kerestina said, the body should be respected, and a tatoo would be wrong. Can you retrieve or tell us more about the article in which the Pope said that such tatoos were wrong.

Yes, you are right also, i think tatoos can be damaging to your health.

ok firstly its kristina123 lol not kerestina123.........we are two different ppl (Thank God)...its ok vas its not a big shame but a small shame that can be forgiven :p

[quote author=vassilios link=topic=5105.msg69084#msg69084 date=1174921395]
    That's why im saying that if it is offensive to your parents, do not do it. Why offend them by something that is based on fashion?

very true and its a commandments which u sed b4 i think but what if your parents arent concerned with whether you have a tatoo or not.......??? and do you see a problem with cross tatoos?

[quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5105.msg69083#msg69083 date=1174920894]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]
    Basically, the choice in the end is yours.  You decide what you want to do, whether it be getting piercings or a tattoo or anything for that matter.  HOWEVER, you should bear in mind that your actions not only affect you, but those around you and you do not wish to be a stumbling block to others.  So the conclusion is that there really is no set yes or no/ this is allowed or this is not allowed answer.  It is up to you and your conscience, but you have to be aware that your actions do hold consequences and so thought should be put into what your decision should be.

i agree essentially it does come down to personal choice and making that decision but those who influence that decision are important to note such as parents and the church
    and in regards to the pharoah ages...........so many things and customs have changed over time........
  • Kerestina, and Kristina123:

You're both very interesting persons, and have a lot to offer everyone. Kristina123 is very articulate and knows exactly how many full stops terminates a sentence, on the other hand, Kerestina , although she exaggerates the number of full stops in  sentence, she's blessed with having a good coptic upbringing.

Let's learn from each other, and try and use ONE full stop at the end of each sentence.

• lastly................

If tattooing is a sin, according to the Holy Book of Leviticus 19:28, "You shall make no cuttings in your flesh" is having a cross tattoo an exception, or is it to be considered the same as a tattoo of the sun or moon and therefore a sin?

Tattoos were rites and ceremonies with which people expressed their sorrow at their funeral. The heathen did so to pacify the infernal deities they dreamt about, and to render them favorable to their deceased friend. God commanded that this must not be imitated by His people. The Holy Bible tells us that God forbade tattooing and body piercing without giving exceptions. God commanded His people not to make cuts or prints in their flesh for the dead "do not tattoo yourselves or cut gashes in your body to mourn the dead" (Lev 19:28). "You are the children of the LORD your God; you shall not cut yourselves nor shave the front of your head for the dead" (Deut 14:1).His people, whom the God of Israel had set apart for Himself must not receive the image and superscription of these worthless deities, and therefore must not make cuts or prints in their flesh. Such practices were signs of rebellion against God Himself.

During the era of persecution, the Coptic Christians were prevented from wearing crosses or declaring themselves Christians. As the persecution increased, Christians started to tattoo the cross on their skin as a sign that they will never denounce their Christianity till they are skinned. Henceforth the cross tattoo became a sign of holding on to the Christian faith. I think in our days it is more important to tattoo the cross on our heart rather than on our skin.
  • i wanna make two points, one with not much evidence.

firstly it says somewhere in the new testament not in the gospels that having long hair is a disgrace.

secondly i wanna ask this because it has been on my mind along time and no one really answered it properly.

if in the bible it says that having a tattoo is wrong how come us (the coptics) are allowed a cross on our arm.

isnt this like making an exception.

i dunno but thats wat i think that all sorts of tattoos are wrong

but im not basing ma facts on anything

so i want to learn more about this cross on the arm and its beginings.

also please im not here to judge or say anything wrong about the church im just asking a question.

sorry if anyone takes it the wrong way, i dont mean that im against the church i just want to make sure wat is right.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5105.msg69115#msg69115 date=1175006281]
    Kerestina, and Kristina123:

You're both very interesting persons, and have a lot to offer everyone. Kristina123 is very articulate and knows exactly how many full stops terminates a sentence, on the other hand, Kerestina , although she exaggerates the number of full stops in  sentence, she's blessed with having a good coptic upbringing.

Let's learn from each other, and try and use ONE full stop at the end of each sentence.

Excuse me, but what exactly are you implying ? if you want to post a response to the topic area then do so, but if you have nothign to add but personal attacks i ask you to refrain from doing so and i ask that the moderators better monitor this behaviour.

This is totally unacceptable and im greatly dissapointed and appalled at that comment.

Kristina123
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=topic=5105.msg69572#msg69572 date=1176289032]
    [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5105.msg69115#msg69115 date=1175006281]
    Kerestina, and Kristina123:

Excuse me, but what exactly are you implying ? if you want to post a response to the topic area then do so, but if you have nothign to add but personal attacks i ask you to refrain from doing so and i ask that the moderators better monitor this behaviour.

This is totally unacceptable and im greatly dissapointed and appalled at that comment.

Kristina123

I said you're both interesting people... what's up? lol
    Kerestina123 - are u feeling ok?
  • + Pi`<rictoc aftonf>

[quote author=copt4eva link=topic=5105.msg69571#msg69571 date=1176288781]
    if in the bible it says that having a tattoo is wrong how come us (the coptics) are allowed a cross on our arm.

isnt this like making an exception.

i dunno but thats wat i think that all sorts of tattoos are wrong

but im not basing ma facts on anything

so i want to learn more about this cross on the arm and its beginings.

also please im not here to judge or say anything wrong about the church im just asking a question.

sorry if anyone takes it the wrong way, i dont mean that im against the church i just want to make sure wat is right.

copt4eva,

Might I suggest you re-read kerestina's post.  She explains clearly why tattooing in the Old Testament was wrong.  It had to do with pagan practices.