Mary Magdalene

edited January 2007 in Faith Issues
Mary died in France
True or False

im thinking false, but id be interested to know if im right or wrong
im aware that she ministered with the disciples..............
my apologies for asking a stupid question but i they mentioned it on a tv show and ive been thinking about ever since
anyways
god bless n take care

Comments

• If ur french, france is the place

If ur greek, she died in ephesus and her body was relocated 2 constantinople

As for the coptic church, the synexarium doesnt mention anything about the location of death.
  • wow i never knew that!!!!!!!!! :)
  • [quote author=hardyakka link=board=1;threadid=4934;start=0#msg66806 date=1170147688]
    If ur french, france is the place

If ur greek, she died in ephesus and her body was relocated 2 constantinople

As for the coptic church, the synexarium doesnt mention anything about the location of death.

thankx hardyakka ;)
    yeah i also referred to the synaxarium but that didnt really say anthing as u mentioned about her death
    so wat sources did u read to find out wat the french and greek beleive?
    plus y is the location such a puzzle??
  • From The catholic Encyclopedia

"Subsequent history of St. Mary Magdalen. The Greek Church maintains that the saint retired to Ephesus with the Blessed Virgin and there died, that her relics were transferred to Constantinople in 886 and are there preserved. Gregory of Tours (De miraculis, I, xxx) supports the statement that she went to Ephesus. However, according to a French tradition (see SAINT LAZARUS OF BETHANY), Mary, Lazarus, and some companions came to Marseilles and converted the whole of Provence. Magdalen is said to have retired to a hill, La Sainte-Baume, near by, where she gave herself up to a life of penance for thirty years. When the time of her death arrived she was carried by angels to Aix and into the oratory of St. Maximinus, where she received the viaticum; her body was then laid in an oratory constructed by St. Maximinus at Villa Lata, afterwards called St. Maximin. History is silent about these relics till 745, when according to the chronicler Sigebert, they were removed to Vézelay through fear of the Saracens. No record is preserved of their return, but in 1279, when Charles II, King of Naples, erected a convent at La Sainte-Baume for the Dominicans, the shrine was found intact, with an inscription stating why they were hidden. In 1600 the relics were placed in a sarcophagus sent by Clement VIII, the head being placed in a separate vessel. In 1814 the church of La Sainte-Baume, wrecked during the Revolution, was restored, and in 1822 the grotto was consecrated afresh. The head of the saint now lies there, where it has lain so long, and where it has been the centre of so many pilgrimages. "

Hope that helps
  • hello

well firstly why is it relevant where she is buried?

well i just asked my sister, she said MM went to preah in France so its likely she died and was buried there.

she then proceeded to tell me something about an egg which she held up to the emperor and it represented eternal life - easter egg thing - but i dont know

so btw kerestina my sis says hi!!!

kristina123
  • [quote author=hardyakka link=board=1;threadid=4934;start=0#msg66810 date=1170163173]
    From The catholic Encyclopedia

"Subsequent history of St. Mary Magdalen. The Greek Church maintains that the saint retired to Ephesus with the Blessed Virgin and there died, that her relics were transferred to Constantinople in 886 and are there preserved. Gregory of Tours (De miraculis, I, xxx) supports the statement that she went to Ephesus. However, according to a French tradition (see SAINT LAZARUS OF BETHANY), Mary, Lazarus, and some companions came to Marseilles and converted the whole of Provence. Magdalen is said to have retired to a hill, La Sainte-Baume, near by, where she gave herself up to a life of penance for thirty years. When the time of her death arrived she was carried by angels to Aix and into the oratory of St. Maximinus, where she received the viaticum; her body was then laid in an oratory constructed by St. Maximinus at Villa Lata, afterwards called St. Maximin. History is silent about these relics till 745, when according to the chronicler Sigebert, they were removed to Vézelay through fear of the Saracens. No record is preserved of their return, but in 1279, when Charles II, King of Naples, erected a convent at La Sainte-Baume for the Dominicans, the shrine was found intact, with an inscription stating why they were hidden. In 1600 the relics were placed in a sarcophagus sent by Clement VIII, the head being placed in a separate vessel. In 1814 the church of La Sainte-Baume, wrecked during the Revolution, was restored, and in 1822 the grotto was consecrated afresh. The head of the saint now lies there, where it has lain so long, and where it has been the centre of so many pilgrimages. "

Hope that helps

it was an interesting read, but it raises a couple of questions in my mind but neva matter

thankx

[quote author=Kristina123 link=board=1;threadid=4934;start=0#msg66811 date=1170163560]
    hello

well firstly why is it relevant where she is buried?

if the question is of no significance to u then dont reply to it
    i think its important to understand the history of important bible figures and id rather have a correct understanding than to be mislead by false info

she then proceeded to tell me something about an egg which she held up to the emperor and it represented eternal life - easter egg thing - but i dont know

interesting, very wierd............... never heard that b4

so btw kerestina my sis says hi!!!

hey sweety

ps. thankx kristina for trying ur hardest to answer my query
  • According to the Greek Synaxarion, St. Mary Magdalene spent much of her time preaching in Italy, which is where she presented the Emperor Tiberias with a red egg symbolising the resurrection.

It is her St. Paul is referring to in Romans 16:6 when he says "Greet Mary, who labored much for us."

She stayed in Rome until the arrival of the blessed Apostle, and two years after this she finally went to Ephesus where she laboured with the Beloved Apostle John and finally died and was buried.

I am aware of the Catholic tradition saying she reposed in France. I remember going to a church in the south of France which had what they claimed to be her relics (her head) on display. But as far as I know, this is a tradition not recognised by any of the Orthodox.