why did adam and eve sin?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why is that?

Didnt God give us the conscience to know what's right from wrong? So why were they still tempted by satan? Were they born sinners?

Comments

• they did not know right from wrong except through the tree... thats why the serpant said... “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

THEN...

"Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.
    And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
    Then the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, “Where are you?”
    So he said, “I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.”
    And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?”
    Then the man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate.”
    And the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”
    The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

you see how they started thinking... they started knowing whats wrong and right...
  • I heard some interesting points about this subject in some of the sermons of fr Antony Meseeh.

He said that both Adam and Eve were guilty when Eve ate first.

If u have a close look at the story in Genesis, you will note that the command of not eating from the tree was given to Adam, even before Eve was created. So part of the problem was a lack of leadership from the side of Adam.
    Second point is that Eve was tempted by satan to be like God. Note that Eve was tempted by the devil, and not Adam....it was no coincidence. Remember that Eve was to submit to her husband as a wife, and the devil wanted her to feel she could do better than that. And it worked, because she fell for it, she wanted to attain a higher spot, more glory, more knowledge.

One last point, HH wrote a book on Adam and Eve and divides the sin of eating from the tree in a number of different sins. I dont know if its available in english, but for those who read arabic, its a good read.
  • Superman,

that is a good point, however, God told both of them NOT to eat from the tree. they didn't need to know "right from wrong" they only needed to know that what God said must be obeyed. That is their sin; Failure to obey God.

Adam and Eve, according to the Bible, were created according to the image of God. That means, that they were created without sin.

AS for resisting temptation. This reminds me of a story I heard in Sunday school a while back. There was this man who always blamed sin on Adam and Eve. He blamed them for being tempted and they should have been stronger. One of his friends decided to teach him a lesson. He invited him over for dinner. Once he arrived at the friend's house, a feast was laid before him. There was every kind of food imaginable arranged in a plate in front of him. Then one of the servants brought a plate that was completely covered and put it in the middle of the table. The guest got curious and while waiting for his host, he couldn't resist but to go and uncover the plate. under the cover was a piece of paper that told him just like he couldn't wait for his host to uncover the plate. he was tempted to see what is under the cover. Adam and Eve were tempted.

Hope this helps.
  • Adam and Ever were born pure, and because God gave us free will, they were able to make that choice and eat from the tree. Just like now, why do we sin everyday? cuz we have free will. Same thing happened with Asam and Eve.

GBU
    sandra
  • Adam and Eve sinned beacuse they are humans and the sin is in the nature of every human. They had the chance to chose from evil and good and they chose evil. For me i do a lot of bad things and i know it is not right and it is a sin but i do it. I am not saying tha is right but human do sin everyday.
  • .. I didn't read all the replies..but...this just kinda came to me..how come satan was in paradise in the first place?
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=1;threadid=4839;start=0#msg66304 date=1169076282]
    .. I didn't read all the replies..but...this just kinda came to me..how come satan was in paradise in the first place?

because God gave everyone free will! and satan was an angel before he sinned.

GBU
    sandra
  • i know..but after satan was dropped from heaven..he STILL had free will? it's not like their was any way he could makeit back to heaven (or so i've been told) so why would he have free will?
  • [quote author=St. Monica link=board=1;threadid=4839;start=0#msg66226 date=1168922177]
    Adam and Eve sinned beacuse they are humans and the sin is in the nature of every human. They had the chance to chose from evil and good and they chose evil. For me i do a lot of bad things and i know it is not right and it is a sin but i do it. I am not saying tha is right but human do sin everyday.
    -------
    Posted by: St. Monica Posted on: January 15, 2007, 11:36:17 PM
    Adam and Eve sinned beacuse they are humans and the sin is in the nature of every human. They had the chance to chose from evil and good and they chose evil. For me i do a lot of bad things and i know it is not right and it is a sin but i do it. I am not saying tha is right but human do sin everyday.

the original human form of Adam and Eve and all of us was incoreption. means no sins and nothing wrong. but than from the free will and their thinking of becoming like God and the envy of the devil, they eat the fruit, disobeyd and were corrupt now because they now know bad good instead of only good.

they did not know right from wrong except through the tree... thats why the serpant said... “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

you are right, and the devil was right to. but they still disobeying the word f God.

.. I didn't read all the replies..but...this just kinda came to me..how come satan was in paradise in the first place?

here it is the same as temptation, God gave him the right to tempt Adam & Eve to see if they would resist. of course He knew and know what would happend but we have free will. also a continution, God gave the devil the promissin to go in paradise and tempt Adam & Eve. Satan took the form of the serpant which God cursed after and made it eat dust all its life.
  • they sinned from the devil