Can I Take Holy Communion?

Can I take Holy Communion if I have cold sore on my lips? I apologize for this silly question but I am new to Coptic Orthodox Church and I recently faced this dilemma.

Cold sore is very contagious and I was afraid to take the Holy Communion so that other people would not feel disgusted with drinking blood after me.

God Bless You.

Comments

• The Holy Communion is the true Body and true Blood of Jesus Christ our God and our Saviour. Somebody mentioned that we are encouraged, especially when we have an illness, to take communion. It is no problem if you partake in the Holy Communion. Do not worry because even the strongest of diseases can not even touch the pure Body and Blood of Christ because it purifies those who partake of it. Welcome to the Coptic Orthodox Church. May you grow spiritually with God.

Please pray for me always,
    Believer in God
  • Believer in God is correct. No disease, however contagious, can overcome the lifegiving Body and Blood of Christ.

However, if you feel that you are making others uncomfortable, you could just stand at the back of the line and receive the Blood of Christ after all the others have.
  • i agree with u orthodox11
  • Yep, Our Lord Christ's body can't be touched by any disease
  • I agree with all of you guys, but if you are worried about what other people might say, ask abouna to give you communion privately... Abounas do that alot of times when someone is sick....

BUT remember to pray for me :)
    and welcome aboard!!
  • No matter what kind of sickness you have, you dont ever have to think once about taking communion.

Think about, wit all of the different people using the same spoon, not once did anyone ever get sick from the holy body and blood of jesus christ.
  • I agree with what everone is saying but if you still feel uncomfotable than you can ask the priest to dip the body of christ in to the bloodof christ so that way you will be relaxed
  • I heard that if you're vomiting everything that you eat you shouldn't have communion in case you vomit that out.. is that true ?
  • yes it is true..my dearest clara...

what we as a family (the church) , partake of, (holy communion) is not what it seams. its neither WINE (alchaholic) even thought its made out of alchaholic wine. Also, its not a 'desiese carrier' waiting for epople to share the spoon....

ill tell u a story. there was once a man who was the only deacon serving in a mass and it happened to be a day when there was double demerit points (twice the punishment for driving crimes). anyways, just before Holy Communion, the deacon was unsure about sharing half the cup of te Blood (wine) as he was anxious about his drive home and double demerit points...

anywasy abouna advised him to take the holy communion and go in peace. on his drive home, he was stoped by the police (cops) took the alchahol test and had 0 agains his name...

although im walinh around the bush, im telling you that whatever U may see, or think becuase it is logical such as getting drunk over the blood, God works his powers that the logic is no longer needed.

have faith :S

hope i helped
  • Yes Hizz_Child...that is true, it happened to someone i know sometime ago...she was sick after partaking in Holy Communion and she did vomit...so what had to happen was that a hole had to be dug in their yard and the vomit had to be put there and covered. Also, when u have communion, u shouldn't chew gum after, or eat things that have seeds because afterwards of course u will be spitting them out hence spitting out the body and blood of or Christ...which brings me to a question... what happens if u have Holy Communion and u cut ur finger and ur bleeding or ur foot or any part of ur body...??? coz i heard that people generally don't walk bare foot after communion so that they're not in any risk of getting a cut and bleeding ???

God Bless
    Coptic88
  • yes and there are people who are EXTREAMS..like my sunday skool teacher...who told us (my sunday skool class comprimised of me n my friend) tthat we are not to eat from poons or forks after holy communion

reasoning: so that it doesnt go in ur mouth then out again. it may have traces of the body

also, there are some specific food my mum usally dislikes me eating after holy communion suuch as: lollypops and LEB..LUVEEN LEBB
  • Can you take communion if you've repented but not confessed?
  • Somebody correct me if i am wrong.

Yes you are allowed to.

That is why Abouna gives the ABSOLUTION.

AGAIN SOMEBODY CORRECT IF I AM WRONG.
  • If we were only able to receive communion when we had confessed and had no cause to repent then it seems to me that we would never be able to receive communion, because even after we have confessed and are waiting for abouna to finish confessing everyone else we are liable to sin and need to repent, and then we would have to join the queue again to confess.

It is necessary to remember, as has been posted here recently, that in the early centuries there was no private confession of sins, and this developed as a means to support the spiritual growth of Christians. There was a public confession of gross sins, and the absolution offered during the preparation for the liturgy for those lesser sins which we fall into. We still have this absolution which prepares us for the communion. It would be meaningless if absolution could only be given in the context of confession.

So if we have repented then the Church prepares us to receive communion by a general absolution. This is just as effective as the absolution given in confession, because in all cases the absolution is given in the name of Christ, it is he who forgives us, and renews us and prepares us to receive himself. This is not to diminish the place of confession, which is a means of receiving one-to-one spiritual advice and counsel. But unless we are in a monastic context where we can speak with our father every day then it is not possible to always be in a state of having confessed and received absolution. But we can always be repentant.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=why link=topic=4441.msg65461#msg65461 date=1167226429]
    yes and there are people who are EXTREAMS..like my sunday skool teacher...who told us (my sunday skool class comprimised of me  n my friend) tthat we are not to eat from poons or forks after holy communion

reasoning: so that it doesnt go in ur mouth then out again. it may have traces of the body

also, there are some specific food my mum usally dislikes me eating after holy communion suuch as: lollypops and LEB..LUVEEN LEBB

that really doesn't make sense.......for as much as lollipops and spoons and forks, that's all is fine. you can't just say that anything comes out of your mouth after communion is not supposed to.

the whole idea, and the action that is not supposed to be done is anything that will make you spit. chewing gum is the most famous because sooner or latter you will need to spit it out.