fasting

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey everyone,

i wanted to ask how to benefit from fasting? for those who are fasting, did you set a goal for yourself during fasting? and how do you come to achieve your goal?

and what are some examples of things you do diferent in fasting?

thanks and have a blessed fasting everyone :)

Comments

• well to really benefit from fasting one must really try to stop doing the sins that the person does. commiting sins is what really keeps on earth and not in a heavenly mind-set. its not just about the food even though its a big part of it. we fast from certain foods so that we can control our earthly desires and lusts. my personal goal is to stop commiting the sins that i do so that i can be raised to a higher spiritual level.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness,
  • hey ppls

i wrote a paper on fasting!!

its not great but its a quick overview!

wanna see ? click the link

Kristina123
  • very nice paper, kristina! good job! i'm very proud to have a sister in faith, like you, who is zealous about her faith and her church's tradition. keep up the good work and may God bless all your efforts ya okhty. salam.

Fibo
  • oh thanks mate thats real sweet of you!

kristina123
  • Kristina,

Very well written paper, job well done!!!

I would just like to add one comment to the quote that you inserted in your paper at the end. You quoted H.H. Pope Shenouda III saying that "[m]ake sure fasting changes something in you."

That is always the aim of every fast because fasting like you illustrated is not about food but rather humbling and cleansing the mind, body, and spirit.

But my suggestion is to talk with ones father of confession at the beginning of the fast before one sets out to stop committing a certain sin. The reason is that attempting to stop a habitual sin is very difficult and one may very well fall in despair if at the end of the fast they are still committing the same sin that they set out to stop. Not only is it likely for one to fall into despair but one might lose hope and give up on trying to stop committing the sin all together and that will be counter productive. Also sometimes we get really motivated and we set out unrealistic expectations for ourselves and our father of confession will be able to guide us through the decisions we make. The father of confession will “arm” us with many ways in how to overcome the sin, as well as encourage, and guide us.

Another backlash is if an individual tries to stop committing a sin and actually does stop that certain sin, then they might fall into the act of pride, and that’s a whole ball game on its own.

So my advice would be to talk to a father of confession before deciding to change something during a fast.

In His Name
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=board=1;threadid=4739;start=0#msg64657 date=1165671144]
    hey ppls

i wrote a paper on fasting!!

its not great but its a quick overview!

wanna see ? click the link

Kristina123

Hey, Kristina123, I read your easy! I think it is wonderfull.......... i have seen and understand new things about fasting that I haven't seen nor understood before.
    God bless you.
    If a person is fasting, and for example sees a piece of chocolate infront of him, and his mind tells him "yummy......... go eat it"; however, that person refuses. WOULD THAT BE.......... invald fasting???
    Also, Fasting should be a chance and an opprotunity to get closer to god, to me that means........... DO NOT CURSE, DO NOT LIE, DO NOT WATCH BAD MOVIES, AND PRAY MORE THAN BEFORE AND READ YOUR BIBLE MORE.
    T.V. during fasting........ Is it a bad thing? even if it was just basic cartoons???

pray for me,
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=board=1;threadid=4739;start=0#msg64688 date=1165762724]
    T.V. during fasting........ Is it a bad thing? even if it was just basic cartoons???

Do cartoons bring you closer to God? :P If they do, then great! But if they're just for your entertainment, you should try to cut them out if you can.

We don't only fast from what is bad. Food is not bad, yet we limit both the amount of food and which kinds of foods we eat.

Kristina already did a good job of explaining the positive effects of fasting, which helps us overcome our passions and draw closer to God, so I'm not going to repeat what she's already written.

But for the same reason we abstain from food - which is good in itself - we would also abstain from things such as TV, magazines, music, going to the cinema, parties, etc. even if these things are perfectly innocent in and of themselves.
  • wow that was a really great essay kristina good job on that i really benefited from what you wrote. thanks a lot for that.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • wow

thanks u guys!!

it was just somethin i put together when i had a bit of time on my hands!!!!

anyways glad to see u benefited!!! i recommend u read the book i refer to its great!!

Kristina123
  • alright i will definetly have to do that
  • To answer the fasting question i believe fasting is about protecting our spirtual life from temptations from food or any bad habits i believe just fasting from food is not enough you have to pick something that you dont like about yourself for example cursing you have to fast from it and dont go braging about fasting because that well put you in hard temptations

GOD BLESS YOU ALL
  • as we know
    we fast 2 get blessings
    its like takin cominun
    well get blessings and less temptations