brothers and sisters you might be upset with me..

I CHANGED MY USERNAME SO SOMEONE OR SOME PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHO I AM.. FOR MY OWN REASON(S) I PREFER THIS..

whats more important though I know is if God is upset with me..

I went to the park with a seventh day adventist and let him talk to me about his beliefs.. even though I do not know much about his faith...

he does not live far from my house..

Did I really do wrong? do not say if you know it is wrong and you do it, it is sin.. because I thought it may not be wrong because I thought It may be good to be friendly with him and did not plan on accepting his beliefs..

2 John 1 (King James Version)

10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

From
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 john 1&version=9

I don't know if that verse is relevant because he may believe Jesus is God..

I am not aware of accepting any of his beliefs that are wrong ..

since I let him talk about his faith and I think he would be okay with me talking about the orthodox faith...

would it be okay to preach the orthodox faith? is that only for the priests?
am I only to preach by silent example and not word?

Comments

• Hi

yes it is ok to preach to others but make sure u know exactly what ur saying represents the teaching of the coptic orthodox church because you are representing the church. and if u get asked a question you dont know make sure u get some guidance before answering.

but other than that i dont see whats wrong with preaching to others??? for example i always tell the kids in sunday school to recite the lesson to three other people which is a form of preaching. i dont think we should ever pass the opportunity to preach to others, and like u said preaching is not just words.

by the way no one is upset at u and there was no need to change ur name.

Kristina123
  • hey, no one holds a grudge. deffinetly no need to change your name..
  • I have my own reason(s) why I changed my name..
  • I stronly advise people to get to know their faith 100% well before they start to talk to 7th day adventists or anyone.

The thing is: Abouna Zakaria has converted 100's of muslims to christianity thanks to one particular reason:

--> He is well educated in Orthodoxy, and secondly, he is well educated in Islam.

Also, i don't think Abouna Zak goes out to "convert" anyone. I think what happens is, he compares Islam and Christianity and then , through the comparison and through supporting his argument with verses from the Koran, the interlocatuer can only distance himself from the Koran.

In fact , he has never said a word against Islam. Honestly... he's just compared the differences in a very respecful way in fact.

So, the thing is, why are u preaching to someone who is already preaching to you?? that means he is already an established 7th adventist? Why can't you just be friends without bringing religion into the friendship. When you get to know this faith, you'll be very surprised if you were raised orthodox.
  • Neverleavemelord,

Might I recommend a source to help enlighten you on the Mormon faith....that is in the midst of your conversational apologetics with your friend? You should probably take a look into a one Dr. Walter Martin and his intraspective on the different cults, including Seventh Day Adventism. If you develop any theological or practical issues regardiung the faith and it's perspective on Christianity please don't heisitate to ask. There are many reasonable and intelleigent people on this site who could help to enlgihten you a great deal as well.

God Bless.
  • talk to him about what you know and if u donot know something or get stuck...do not try to put it in your own words but tell him that you will be back later when you ask your FOC or a teacher about it and make sure you understand it before you talk about it

http://www.copticnet.com/Books/English Books/H.G. Bishoy/Seventh Day Adventists.pdf

http://www.copticnet.com/Books/English Books/H.G. Bishoy/Responding to the Seventh Day Adventists.pdf

http://www.copticnet.com/Books/English Books/H.G. Bishoy/Response to the Seventh Day Adventists.pdf

You can read up about the seventh day adventists... I think the church does not consider them christian

"
    1. Decision of the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church
    Regarding the Adventists, the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church,
    headed by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, had officially declared in its session on
    Saturday June 17, 1989 that both Jehovah’s Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists
    are non-Christian cults. We do not consider them Christians; nor do we
    acknowledge their translations of the Holy Bible. The Holy Synod had warned
    against attending their meetings, or receiving them into the homes of Coptic
    Orthodox Christians as the case is with the rest of heretics and innovators.
    "

This comes from the first book (or whatever it is.. an article? )

So I think maybe Satan sent that adventist to my house and I accepted to go to the park with him..

But whats the problem if I will not accept any false teaching?
  • But whats the problem if I will not accept any false teaching?

there is no problem with not accepting false teaching, you just need to be wary and cautious and they dont influence you in the wrong way

I stronly advise people to get to know their faith 100% well before they start to talk to 7th day adventists or anyone.

not always, having faith in God is enough. god will provide us with many opporunities and we need to utilise them. if we were to wait till we knew our faith 100% id be waiting years, we are always learning and we cant abandon such opportunities to talk about God just because we believe we are limited in our knowledge, we need to let God lead us and do the talking, we only need FAITH and patience
  • [quote author=vassilios
    The thing is: Abouna Zakaria has converted 100's of muslims to christianity

maybe its kinda late for this but he's made even more mad at him ....lol :-\
  • i think it is ok to preach about your faith.....
    personalii
    i dont think its rong 2 ask sum1 about their religion.......
    JUST DONT LISTEN OR TAKE ADVICE FROM THEM
    GOD BLESS US ALL
  • hey neverleavemealone,

how r u? i think what you did is GREAT. you should not be ashamed that you preched to your friens [if he was ur friend], you should be proud of yourself.

God put us on tihs Earth to preach to people, we r his sons and daughters.

i have a question for you, when God said that he is the Lord Jesus Christ, did he just say it or did he show us exampoples, like healing the blind man which was blind for 40 years or getting the devil out of Lazarus. Its so wasy to say that you are christian, it is another thing to show that you are.

If you feel guilty about you did, talk to your FOC and asked him what you di was right, i personllay think it was

GBU:)

pp4m

EgY
  • You can preach about the coptic faith but if you just want to be good friends with this person then I don't think talking about your faiths is a good idea. For example: I have a lot of muslim friends and were close but we just don't discuss religion, it doesn't mean that it's wrong that were not preaching our faith but if you want to have a solid relationship with this person just don't get your religions intertwined...you never know how words from someone can just make you think differently about your faith.

• of course u r allowed to preach God's word , why wouldn't u?and what u did is not wrong if u do not believe in anything he said. It doesn't matter if u think what he said is rite but still don't believe in any of it.hope i helped.
  • preaching is a responsibility- in which everyone takes part but has different roles and skills. Do you think you played the role you meant to play? Do you think you used the skills in which Christ gave you? These are the questions I think you should ask. If any is lacking, try what you are good at. Talk with FOC or Coptic elder friends.
  • I think for seventh day adventists the commandment applies "he who greets him shares in his sins" "Do not receive him into your home" do not let him preach to you..

sorry for bringing back an old topic.. I wanted to deal with it properly