Do not lead us into Temptation

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,
What does that mean exactly? "Do not lead us into temptation" ? Ya3ni God will lead us into temptations?? He will want to tempt us?
I think really to understand the Bible perfectly, we have to learn greek or aramaic, im 99% sure that something got left out in the translation....

Cheers

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=board=1;threadid=4449;start=0#msg61338 date=1159435877]
    Hi,
    What does that mean exactly? "Do not lead us into temptation" ? Ya3ni God will lead us into temptations?? He will want to tempt us?

The Bible says:
    "Let no one when he is tempted be saying, “I am tempted of God”; for God is incapable of being tempted by evils, and He Himself tempteth no one. But each is tempted when he is drawn away and enticed by his own desire." Iakovos 1:13-14

That particular part of the Lord's Prayer is actually better translated "let us not be brought into temptation."

The meaning is made clear when you look at the next line "but deliver us from the evil one." St. Chrysostom explains that "evil one" refers to the devil.

When you translate the verse in this way, you see that it is not suggesting God tempts people, but rather asking God to save us from the temptations of the devil.

I think really to understand the Bible perfectly, we have to learn greek or aramaic, im 99% sure that something got left out in the translation....

You don't have to learn Aramaic to understand the New Testament, since it was written in Greek. There is a tradition that Matthew wrote his Gospel in Aramaic as well as Greek. However, this version no longer exists and all Aramaic copies we have today are translations from the Greek.

A few of the Old Testament books were written in Aramaic, such as Daniel (the rest being Hebrew). However, the Church has always relied on the Greek LXX as its Old Testament.

But even if you did learn Greek, that does not guarantee you an accurate understanding of the Bible. The only way one can understand the Bible correctly is to interpret it according to the faith of the Church, which is the guardian and interpreter of the Truth.
  • i agree but i also think that when we pray the LOrd PRayer this also refers to Asking God for the strength to stay away from the evvil, dangerous paths of this world. He knows that as human beings we easily fall into sin. When we pray Lord lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one. He gives us faith that he will save us from satan even when we attempt to stay faithful to him.