Is wearing all black wrong

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
i have always wondered why people wearing all black is a sin. its just a color. What do you think?

Comments

• umm where did you hear that before...i never heard it was a sin....

maybe u misunderstand..its not a sin..
    it is not encouraged by the church ...

thats all!!
  • sorry i guess i didn't make myself clear. :-\
  • no worries...

so you are asking...why is wearing black not encouraged by the church...

am i right??
  • oh no no no its just that some people think that if you wear black your a goth adn thus a santanist (i don't think i spelled that right).
  • ohhh your talking about gothics...i thought u meant ladies who were black after a loved once has passed away. you see wearing black after a death is perfectly normal, your expressing your grief but if you wear black for fashion...i personally dont think its a problem. i jus see it as a colour
  • i think black is ok but i joke around with my best budds at church and say they are a goth for wearin blck well shes a weird person but cool lol so i just joke around and say shes a goth cause she loves black but black does not mean anything bad its not bad at all its just a bad color i mean like a color for mourning for pain and stuff like that
  • I think the priests are meant to wear black all their life or most their life because they are meant to stay repentant all their life...
  • ...also because they carry the burden of their congregation...by that i mean like our sisns. the priests have to listen to all the sins of the people and give absolutions and they grieve with their people but they wear white when praying the mass because its a celebration
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=0#msg47135 date=1139123535]
    ohhh your talking about gothics...i thought u meant ladies who were black after a loved once has passed away. you see wearing black after a death is perfectly normal, your expressing your grief but if you wear black for fashion...i personally dont think its a problem. i jus see it as a colour

oh ok...well in regarding goths...um...blak..satanism...is there a connection..personally i dont think so...BUT goths..blak...and satanism...there is a connection

baaka...you add it all up..
  • My dearest brothers and sisters:

A small historical note: Priests and monks wear black because during the persecution in the horrible Muslim Empire times (which were mostly hard on us, but not always), part of the persecution was to wear black and hang heavy metal crosses on their necks, which is why Christians are sometimes called "el aadma el zar'aa" (ask your parents about this expression)...so, after the persecution ended, the priests, and thus the church, chose to keep the same dress as the "official" (so as to speak) dress code for Coptic Orthodox priests...

Just thought you'd know....

In HIS Name,

Rami Fouad Zachari
  • thanks guys, i was getting kind of worrried there and nice info on how priests got to wear black ;D
  • Yo copticross, black isn't a sin. It is just a color. And not all goths are satanist. 8)
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=0#msg47147 date=1139127531]
    ...also because they carry the burden of their congregation...by that i mean like our sisns. the priests have to listen to all the sins of the people and give absolutions and they grieve with their people but they wear white when praying the mass because its a celebration

This is true but because they ae also supposed to be dead to the world
  • I'm not sure about this...but priests have not died to the world...they are still people who have a family, wife and chidlren to take care of...

On the other hand, Monks and Nuns have died to the world...and during their ordinations they actually pray on them as if they had died, covering their bodies with a veil. They are the ones who wear black because they have died for the world...

• [quote author=salsoul link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47393 date=1139348241]
    I'm not sure about this...but priests have not died to the world...they are still people who have a family, wife and chidlren to take care of...

On the other hand, Monks and Nuns have died to the world...and during their ordinations they actually pray on them as if they had died, covering their bodies with a veil. They are the ones who wear black because they have died for the world...

i didnt mean that they are dead like that i meant that they do not live for the world or have very little need of the world and the materialistic things. They also cover priest with veils and pray on them this is showing that they live for God not for man
  • I don't think that wearing black is a sin, but I think what's behind it could be a sin. For example, if you wear black becuase you truly enjoy the color, then I don't think it's bad. If you are wearing it becuase you are goth, then it is a sin because then you believe in the DEVIL and that is obviously wrong. Just like I said in the beginning, it's what'e behind it that makes it a sin or not a sin.

• i didnt mean that they are dead like that i meant that they do not live for the world or have very little need of the world and the materialistic things. They also cover priest with veils and pray on them this is showing that they live for God not for man

Correct me if I'm wrong. but isn't that also why priests aren't supposed to cut their hair or shave their beards?
  • [quote author=Gods kid link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47420 date=1139359399]

i didnt mean that they are dead like that i meant that they do not live for the world or have very little need of the world and the materialistic things. They also cover priest with veils and pray on them this is showing that they live for God not for man

Correct me if I'm wrong. but isn't that also why priests aren't supposed to cut their hair or shave their beards?

They are allowed to cut their hair but not shave their beards.
  • [quote author=Andrew Saad link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47425 date=1139365805]
    [quote author=Gods kid link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47420 date=1139359399]

why are they allowed to do one thing but not the other, whats the difference?
  • [quote author=Andrew Saad link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47395 date=1139349483]

I checked "Khedmet el Shamas" just to make sure...but they don't cover priests with veils and pray on them....they really only do that with monks and nuns....just wanted to clarify!!!!

• They might cut their hair, but not shave because of some hygeine reason.
  • I don't know about eastern Priests, but i know are priests wear all black, so do our Bishops.

How do Coptic Priests Dress?

• [quote author=copticross link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47429 date=1139366984]
    [quote author=Andrew Saad link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47425 date=1139365805]
    [quote author=Gods kid link=board=13;threadid=3160;start=15#msg47420 date=1139359399]

why are they allowed to do one thing but not the other, whats the difference?

well because if they dont cut their hair its going to get too long... there will be no point in letting it grow...
  • tu es petrus, coptic priests wear black, a cross and a ema, a type of hat.
  • yeah, i agree with CopticChica21 because as she said that there is nothing wrong with wearing black depending on the reason. cause if you like the color of it and wear it for fashion in an innocent way than i think there is nothing wrong with it but if you are wearing it for goth or emo or anything like that to follow satin than, yeah that is a def. sin. and if you wear it if a loved one died in your family than that is alright too :D
  • fyi:
    1) gothic is a type of literature not a style
    2)im sure ppl were wearing black before satanism became the style of sin
  • hey
    i don't know abt u
    but ppl who wear black as a gothic ppl, freak me out!
    they take it to the extream!
    and some worship the devil
    but wearing black cuz someone passed away! that is normal!
  • first of all goth is wrong second of all ppl who wear all black repeatedly thinking its cool not for someone that just passedd away dont know anything about fashion (lol im just playin) but like i think its a wrong way to express something and espcially in wearin black on a daily basis for no reason just that u want to or think its hott in fashion or something is bad and nope not accepted by the church i mean its not encouraged like other ppl said
  • Wearing all black is a very good thing imho. Not if its black Slipknot or Marilyn Manson T-shirts of course. But wearing black as a sign of humility and that one is dead to the world is very good.
  • does abouna wear black?
    Black may mean grief but
    black also means wisdom- Abouna shenouda LI, NY