jeans

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
hey guys,i have a question: do think it is right for ppl to wear jeans in church, i wore them beforec, but then i look at hte other traditions and see what they wear.suits and long sleebes even the summer, any reply would be good, thanks
???

Comments

• I always wear jeans 2 my church. And so does evry1 else. Its only wrong if u where shorts to a liturgy or ashaya.
  • thanks 4 the reply
  • It is ok to wear jeans only if they are appropriate
    you should just use your own personal judgement
  • For me if it’s a youth meeting or something like that then it’s ok. On Saturday and on Sunday I wear a button up shirt and slacks.
  • I think it's ok to wear jeans to liturgy as long as their appropriate like not ripped or like they don't have those chains hanging out. Cuz like there is really nothing wrong with jeans.
  • i think it fine jsut for like vespers or like bible study but not for a liturgy.. always wear church cloth on the liturgies.. i mean that is what i think..
  • I agree with most of you guys... as long as there not extra tight and ripped then it should be ok... i mean u dont wanna wear something that will draw too much attention to yourself. remember your going to church to meet with the Lord your God! not just anyone... you have to look respectable and pleasent :-*

[glow=red,2,300][move]GB.[/move]
    [move]Dee.[/move][/glow]
  • Hello,
    I think it's not really good to wear jeans on sunday but maybe fridays.

Juliann
  • dont make them tight..

but no its fine..

remember .. our church is not black and white but it seees grey...

and god is not a HATEFUL god but he is just..

dw i dont think ur gonna go hell becuase u wore jeans to church!!
  • acctually i agree w/ what a couple of u said.. i don't think its respectful to wear jeans on sunday on saturday youth meeting ect. i guess its fine.. but on sunday u should dress up because the lord Jesus Chrrist is in your presence likei f you we're going to see the president.. ur not gona wear jeans ur gona dress up.. so..yea... :)
  • I agree with those who believe that jeans are not the best thing to wear when going to Church. Ever since I can remember, my parents would tell me that when going to Church, I have to wear the best thing that I have. Now that I'm older, I agree. Christ is our King, so we need to dress with all respect when going to see Him. Those who work in offices would know that they can't wear anything casual including jeans to the workplace, except maybe Fridays. Likewise, you should dress for church. I think meetings and social activities are okay to dress casual, but definately not the mass.
  • jeans are ok!
  • use the judgement the Holy spirit gives you
  • oh wow we disscussed this subject on here before ;) i was the one to actually post it heres the good answer tht i got

if u think ur jeans are the best to meet god with go head and wear them. in otherwords when u go sum party or somewhere special u dont wear what u wear to school everyday or wut u play with,u wear something nice and dressy.well same with god its a special place and special time

hope i helped ::)
  • I wear them at Ahsheya but not to the liturgy.

also you shouldn't wear ripped jeans to CHURCH!! ( you really shouldn't wear them at all because they are not appropriate but especially to church)
  • you guyyyyysssss... :o you can't wear jeans to the DIVINE Liturgy!!!! notice the word DIVINE! meaning from GOD! we are at his house. I mean, if u go to a wedding, think about the kind of clothes you wear.. i mean, you probably wouldn't wear jeans to a wedding! how is going to the house of GOD any different?! It should be a special day, get dressed up, because you are in the presence of GOD himself! I used to wear jeans.. but am stopping now... I mean If you wear everyday clothes to the church on sunday, how is that making it any different any other day you wear jeans? It is a special day, and you should honor it.

Matthew 22:

10 So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.
    11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and[a] cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

now mind you, God's not gonna put you straight in hell just because u wear jeans to the church! but I'm just saying... think about it! :P

GBU and pray 4 me,
    laura
  • I think that jeans is ok except on a Sunday Liturgy...
  • Someone please explain to me... how a topic of 2 pages was made on the discussion of wearing jeans to church ? And then tell me how does that relate to FAITH issues... ?

Just for clarification, the description of this board - Faith Issues reads:

For spiritual Issues dealing with the faith in general, such as subjects on prayer, the Bible, morals etc.

Wearing jeans is not a spiritual issue.
  • thanks, y was it moved?
  • i used to wear jeans myself....and not just any jeans...i mean baggy and all the way down ..u know all ghetto but then someone said something to me that really stayed with me.....he said ..if u r goin to see the president of the U.S... would u wear a suit?...then how should u dress when u go to meet the Prince of Life on his Holy day..sunday?? keep also in mind that others look up to you.,...no matter wht age u r and there r some who will copy whtever u do...i also replied by sayin that it is all in the heart but it is how u show it not just by how to say it but doing is more important.
  • i think that there is nothing wrong with wearing jeans to church...i mean i know u should wear the nicest stuff u have to church and everything...and some of my best clothes are jeans...just because they are jeans doesnt mean they are casual..u can EASILY dress up jeans and pull off a semi-formal look...personally im 17...i dont really feel to comfortable in formal clothes and skirts and all of that...and very few people my age dont wear jeans to church...so i dont think theres anythin wrong with tht!
  • i sometimes see girls wearing tight jeans and a lotta makeup in church im like  :o WTF

lol

but is it true  we have to dress nice to church? i doubt it...its about the inside, not the outside
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=4297.msg105461#msg105461 date=1250342126]
    i sometimes see girls wearing tight jeans and a lotta makeup in church im like  :o ***

lol

but is it true  we have to dress nice to church? i doubt it...its about the inside, not the outside

you must do. if you are saying that....then why just go NAKED. God wants your heart but He is also worthy of respect.
  • I would suggest that what is best is that we attend the liturgy in a manner that draws no attention to ourselves at all. Neither for good or bad.

It would be possible to attend in a prom dress and be the centre of attention, just as it would be possible to go in shabby work clothes and be the centre of attention. If that was truly the only two choices we had then that would not be a problem in God's eyes. But for those of us with a choice in what to wear then I would recommend learning from the Amish and dressing plainly. We should be clean and tidy but it seems to me that this is all that is required of us if it is possible. Nothing especially trendy, nothing especially expensive, nothing especially old or worn either. But something that is clean and tidy and does not attract attention.

Of course I would not turn away anyone who had just come from work or was going to work and had to dress in work clothes or was a little grimy. But we are not talking about such situations.

Father Peter
  • i dont think God cares what we wear to church...we only wear clothes because other people around, but i never realized it is not good to wear poor, worn clothes

amba barsoum el arian (the naked) wore nothing when he lived alone in his cave, st john wore camel skin, i think pope kyrillos or someone wore worn garments underneath his fancy dress thingy

why isnt wearing poor clothing good again (assuming youre not poor)?
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=4297.msg105467#msg105467 date=1250355326]
    i dont think God cares what we wear to church...we only wear clothes because other people around, but i never realized it is not good to wear poor, worn clothes

amba barsoum el arian (the naked) wore nothing when he lived alone in his cave, st john wore camel skin, i think pope kyrillos or someone wore worn garments underneath his fancy dress thingy

why isnt wearing poor clothing good again (assuming youre not poor)?

it's not about "poor cloth" it's about wearing the best you have for the appearance of the ultimate KING.
    Anba Barsoum lived in his OWN cave alone and he didn't have much to wear. His best, he wore. He wasn't FULLY naked as it sounds....

Saint John the Baptist wore the simplest he had. He was the son of the wilderness and that's i guess what he wore. other then that, he couldn't wear cloth better then the people who he is preaching to to repent. ALSO, he was doing all of that he was not in a church like us today.

Pope Kerrelos example is the best to PROVE this whole concept. he wear his normal humble cloth, being a simple person. But when it came to the liturgy, being the Pope who prayed the most liturgies of all the pope, he wore his best of his humble cloth that befit the "Coming of the KING" in bread in wine.
  • We should not draw attention to ourselves at the Liturgy, and this is why we should neither wear the most expensive clothes nor the poorest, if we have a choice.

We are not monks, or Pope Kyrillos. If we are in Church and are dressed in a way that draws attention to ourselves needlessly then it is wrong of us. This is why the priests and bishops all wear the same uniform that hides what we are wearing. We become invisible to an extent.

If we wear the poorest and most worn of clothes to show our humility then we are likely to sin. If we are in a remote village or in a poor part of a city and we are dressing the same as others so that we do not stand out then poor clothes are fine. But if we have a wardrobe full of clothes and choose to wear either the most glamorous or the most worn then we are going to stand out and draw attention to ourselves.

For the same reason a woman should not wear a great deal of make up so as to stand out. Perhaps a little if she chooses, but not so much that it draws attention to her.

Father Peter
  • Makes sense...
  • there was this one situation that taught me exactly what Fr. Peter said....my uncle came to visit us (in Canada) from the states and from where he is from, everyone dresses up on Sundays. so on Sunday when we went to the mass he was a wearing a shirt and a tie and when he entered the church and saw that no one dressed up as much as him he quickly took off the tie and hid it so as to not stand out.
  • I wear jeans to weekday services and sometimes Vespers on Saturday night. I usually wear nicer pants on Sunday's and other times when Liturgy is served and usually wear long sleeves but that's just my choice. As long as you dress modest it is ok since we shouldn't worry about what we wear as long as it's modest and not a distraction to others.