Why Jonah's Fast

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why do we fast for 3 days?

Comments

• the three days that the people of Nenivah fasted to be granted forgiveness from God.
  • we fast for three days bc that is how long Jonah stayed in the belly of the whale.....im pretty sure that is y
  • minagir ...........maybe u r rite...ur explanation makes more sense
  • i got this from on of the post on coptichymns.net so its not mines but i tohught id share

I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that the fast that we are celebrating these 3 days, is really called Jonah's fast, not Nineveh (The name Nineveh is something new).
    1-Because we fast as Jonah was in the belly of the fish 3 days and nights as Christ in the tomb (that's why it's a fist degree fasting, if this was related to Nineveh, this would have been 3rd degree fasting.)
    2-We do not know how many days the people of Nineveh fasted.
    3-The fact that we mention the people of Nineveh's repentance during the hymns, is their to speak of the wok of Jonah, besides we always live a season of repentance.
  • [quote author=cop link=board=1;threadid=3246;start=0#msg47977 date=1139963093]
    3-The fact that we mention the people of Nineveh's repentance during the hymns, is their to speak of the wok of Jonah, besides we always live a season of repentance.

Yes, i did see this on ch.net. but here, we don't only mention the ninevits for jonahs work, but we do also to show how God had mercy on them.
  • Well, jonah was a prophet and what happened to him with the whale was actually a prophecy about how jesus would also be in the tomb for 3 days. So that is another reason why we fast these three days.
  • but what i dotn get is, why is johna's fast such an important fast in the coptic church, i know that all the other fasts are as important but my priest was saying how even little todlers must fast for this feast>>> any reason as to why????
  • Well its becuase of the fact that it forshadows the ressurection of our lord and of course that is important. The reason abouna says that even toddlers should fast it, is probably because its such a small fast and that they are able to fast it.
    hope that helps

-peter
  • 2-We do not know how many days the people of Nineveh fasted.

y isn't it mentioned in the bible? ???
  • hey did they fast without food at all........ or just eating poor food n wearing that tough material

y did the animals hv to fast with them the animals have no second life rit?
  • jonah in the whale,its only 3 days, thats the shortest fasting ever