prayer support

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i have pondered this question for quite some time. i think i found the anwser in the BIBLE ,but i would like to review it with u . i asked many times why we have to stand up before God and tell him what we want when he already knows
matthw 6:7-9
"and when you pray do not keep on babbling like pagans, for tyhey think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not not be like them for your father knows what you need before you ask him"
This also tells me that wht we do..... pray for hours or repeating things is not that necessary. please tell me if i understood somrething wrong
also
[color=Black]Matthew 6:9
"This then is
how you should pray: Our father who art in hevean.."ectThis tells me that this is all we have to say, do it and read the Bible ,then we are set? seems too easy compared to what wwe do

please respond
luv
mary

Comments

• well its like saying why do i have to write the answers to an exam if the teacher already knows the answers??

the verse simply states that you should pray from your heart and dont let your prayer be a mere routine like a repitition. praying from the agpia although repetitive it causes you to think of your own prayers and contemplate what you want to ask God.

well i think i dont make much sense but do u get what im trying to say??

Kristina
  • yeah, thank u!!!!!!1 i get what ur saying! good teacher example, that helps! But when i read from agpyia ,i feel like im being forced to pray, like a chore, i dont enjoy it and i feel like im reeating the same exact thing! But thank u tho, it helps, i see it a little bit differently now.
    mary
    GB
  • dear copticcross3
    sometimes, the repetition of prayer in a mundane way leads to the feeling of it becoming a chore
    one of the advices given to me was to try to add to the prayer your own words or vary the prayer
    a question for you: do you pray ALL the prayers of the agpeya? if so, do you do prostrations? if so, do you read from the Bible also? if so, do you read a spiritual book? if so, do you try to memorise the prayers of the agpeya, especially the psalms? if so, do you try to recite them at all times? if so, do you try to memorise and contemplate on a particular verse or reading from the Bible (preferable daily)? if so, do you read the daily readings of the Church (the vespers, matins, and Liturgical readings, and the Synaxarium)? if so...

it is very hard to continue with something that has become mundane, but persist, and the feeling will pass, but do not stop. DO NOT STOP your current prayers. Expand on them slowly, and with time the feeling will pass.

The above suggestions are just that, suggestions. Speak to your Father of Confession and ask for his advice to see what you can personally do.

And above all, have Holy Communion.

GBU
    mg
  • Prayer should really be a conversation between you and Your Heavenly Father. You should tell Him everything (yes he knows what you are going to say but He like you to express it to Him). When you are standing to pray to God, tell Him all what your heart desires, don't feel as though you have to be formal and just say a couple of words and that set, prayer should never be a chore, take it a step by step and you will see how powerful it can become. The church has offered us the agpeya so we could know what to say since it includes psalms, part of the bible and some other prayers and the creed at some hours...you can do all that and really contemplate on each part that you read, don't just read it...live it...think about it.
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=board=1;threadid=4105;start=0#msg57418 date=1152365890]
    well its like saying why do i have to write the answers to an exam if the teacher already knows the answers??

the verse simply states that you should pray from your heart and dont let your prayer be a mere routine like a repitition. praying from the agpia although repetitive it causes you to think of your own prayers and contemplate what you want to ask God.

well i think i dont make much sense but do u get what im trying to say??

Kristina

yep you guys said it all....just the same way God knows the outcome of the temptation, he still gived you the temptation...

Nice replies to a nice question