Verse: 1 Cor 14:34-35

edited June 2006 in Faith Issues
Hello Everyone

Re: 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

Its Kristina123!

This verse was shown to me and then I heard it during the prayer on Pentecost Sunday. Just a couple of questions I wanted to ask in relation to the abovementioned verse and they appear below. Please reply with an answer which will help me to respond to this particular person who bought that verse to my attention.

1. Is the verse merely referring to a womans role in the church or is it implying something else. The person who showed it to me stated that we were to infer from the verse that woman are considered to be inferior.

2. Why is this verse read on Pentecost Sunday? (is it because the apostles were all male???)

Much appreciated

Kristina123

Comments

• 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak."
    Women are commanded by Paul to be silent in church and to be obedient to men. He further says that "if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in church."
    Can women be church leaders?
    What the Bible says about women's rights
    Should women have the same rights as men?
    May a woman speak in church?

This is not ANY REASON TO SAY MAN IS SUPERIOR TO WOMAN.
    However, concept of equality as viewed in todays world is also not feasible as it contradicts God's commands.
    Man and woman are equal in salvation.
    Man and woman can attain equal level of inteligence and more.

The Bible is clear that women should not have authority or be teacher over men; and to do so is to take the place of headship whih the scripture commands otherwise.
    There are no known women pastors in the Bible.
    The church order and intructions does not include intructions for women pastors.
    The Bible text clearly forbids womento occupy such role.
    Personally, man and woman to me like the scriptures says compliment one another and the question of equality in intellectual, physical or spiritual should be left to the individual partners or spouses.
  • Yes, but what do you say about women judges in the OT?

Is not a judge a position of authority ( For reference a judge means someone who is chosen by God that is the definition by which I identify the term).

Kristina123
  • The woman is not to have authority over the man in the church context.
    But this does not extend to the political/economic world.
    In the Old Testament Deborah was a judge in Israel over men.
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=board=1;threadid=4033;start=0#msg56541 date=1150717272]
    Yes, but what do you say about women judges in the OT?

This was political power, not spiritual. So the Bible's ok with a woman president, just not women priests ;-)
  • Hello all

Yes thats all well and good, but so far an exact answer is yet to appear on this question that i have raised. This applies especially to the second part of my question.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Kristina123
  • Let's understand these verses in context.

In the early church specially in the house worship type of church (the days of St. Paul), women and men used to sit together. Men were the more knowledgable regarding the teachings, service, etc. Women would ask questions to understand and learn. That's exactly why vers 35 comes to speak of "ask at home". This has nothing to do with women leading prayers or not. This ends this thougth.

Just to make things clear, women not to be priests, or lead worship, etc. This is because it is the priest role to teach, lead prayers, etc. But there is nothing worng with women speaking in a youth meeting setting, or a sunday school class env.