why can't they be nuns?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
i was listening to a wa3za to pope shenouda yesterday and he said they don't accept women over 28 years old to be nuns..why do they have to do that?

GBU
sandra

Comments

• anyone?? anything??

GBU
    sandra
  • Hmm. Thats diffecult to know. It may point to the age of St. Mary when some importent happend. Just a guess though.
  • REALLLY...but u know..u can be a nun even when u r married...ON ONE CONDITION...ur spouse agrees!!!!!!!
    can u believe it...we learnt it in SUnday skool...

oh n that u dont have little children or anything!!

so i dunno..maybe u understood wrong..or there was a condition to not being a 28 yr old nun...

usually it is becasue at that age women usually wouldnt be able to get married..cause of their age...so they resort to becoming nuns..where in our religon...becomeing a nun is the number 1 thing on ur mind...and not only when everything is not going as planned...!!!
  • actually i was listening to a lecture from this site the other day, and a priest in america was saying that 30 was the age limit for females to become nuns. The reason why that is the rule is because there isnt really a reason for females to have to wait more than that. However, if there is a reason (such as having to look after a sick parent and so on) a female must tell a nunnery many years in advance of her situation, and kind of reserve a seat at the convent.. I can find out the exact lecture i was listening to if you want.

Rabana Maak
  • i don't get plase explain??/ ??? ??? ???
  • yarni the priest was just saying that if a woman really wants to become a nun it is a yearning she would have had her whole life, and so there is no reason why she should wait after the age of 30 to join a convent.. In special circumstances exceptions are granted..

Rabana Maak

Natt
  • Wow thats very interesting i didnt know that guys .Learn somethin new everyday thanks.
  • [quote author=why link=board=4;threadid=3863;start=0#msg54560 date=1147410840]
    REALLLY...but u know..u can be a nun even when u r married...ON ONE CONDITION...ur spouse agrees!!!!!!!

so i dunno..maybe u understood wrong..or there was a condition to not being a 28 yr old nun...

usually it is becasue at that age women usually wouldnt be able to get married..cause of their age...so they resort to becoming nuns..where in our religon...becomeing a nun is the number 1 thing on ur mind...and not only when everything is not going as planned...!!!

r u saying that their chance of getting married is over so they go and be nuns? or what?

GBU
    sandra
  • the women monestries in coptic church only put this rule, as they think the girl over 28 can not obey and change her qualities easly, but the eastern orthodox, put limit till 40 to become more wise and mature, but over 40 they refuse as she can not work in the monastery so she can not complete the obediance laws as her other companions in the monastery.
    actually as the women aged may be she become more serious in her aims in monastic life
    pray for me
  • It's basically the same deal with monks though isn't it. Didn't the Pope say that he'll only accept people who have degrees as applicants for the monastic life. His Holiness, I believe, just doesn't want people to become monks or nuns just because they didn't get the life they wanted. Like you guys said already, the lifestyle of a monk or a nun isn't something that is adapted in the spurr of the moment, nor is it acquired in such a short time, it's something that you are called to do, to live, and it shouldn't be a second choice, in fact it's the complete opposite; you're supposed to give up for it... right?
  • ya..i guess thats right after what all of you guyz said

GBU
    sandra
  • thx guys neww iinfoo :D:D
  • i heard that when u hit the age of 30+ and arent married, you think that god has chosen u to lead the life of monasticsm (well as a nun) and this is bad because u should choose to be a nun not because u havnt gotten married yet but beccause you want to serve the lord. i remeber i was staying with the nuns and there was one lady who was also staying at the guest house, she was about 40 and was really wanting to become a nun, abouna said no because it was believed that she wanted 2 become a nun because she wasnt married. its for this reason that they recommend you being a young person so u leave the world and the lusts of the world- friends, social life, money, etc

hope u guys get me
  • [quote author=matt88 link=board=4;threadid=3863;start=0#msg54575 date=1147431366]
    ..I can find out the exact lecture i was listening to if you want.

If u could tell me which lecture it was, i'll appreciate it.

Thanx
  • I am not sure... Maybe you should either get a copy of his sermon and review again. OR you can ask what it means if you aren't sure.
  • okay there could be a specpific reason for women that have to be age 28 to be a nun.Pope shenouda may have books about this topic or discussions on this topic.but that was a great question by the way sandra.god bless all.

and great job on ur khen o shot exam by the way.

mary :)
  • thnx..and does anyone know if there's any books about this or not by pope shenouda or any other priest because i really wanna know the exact answer!

GBU
    sandra
  • you go and look at the church libray sandra and they should have books there.i hope u get to find what your looking for.

mary
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=4;threadid=3863;start=0#msg54618 date=1147474225]
    [quote author=why link=board=4;threadid=3863;start=0#msg54560 date=1147410840]
    REALLLY...but u know..u can be a nun even when u r married...ON ONE CONDITION...ur spouse agrees!!!!!!!

r u saying that their chance of getting married is over so they go and be nuns? or what?

GBU
    sandra

yep that is what i was implying..and also with the monks..but not in all situations..