The Resurrection

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello everybody, Khristos Anesti...so during the Easter Eve Liturgy, during the gospel this questioned popped in my head...in the gospel of St. John, chapter 20, verse 17...Jesus says to Mary, "Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father;..." and then a week later we celebrate Thomas Sunday and in the gospel for Thomas Sunday from St John, chapter 20, verse 27 Jesus says to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at my hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into my side..." so my question is, How come Mary couldn't touch Jesus after he rose from the dead if Thomas put his hand in his side a week later? Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but anyone can explain this to me, I'll appreciate it very much thank you...God Bless...Remember 42 more days of lahma...so make it worthwhile! :D
And sorry if this question has been posted already

Comments

• dont know...........gotta think about it!
  • for I have not yet ascended to My Father
    That's your key phrase right here and the answer to your question. When Jesus appeared to Mary, He didn't ascend to Heaven yet therefore she couldn't touch him...but a week later...Jesus has already ascended and was only coming to visit the disciples and assure them that that's really Him and to keep their faith strong.
  • The "do not cling to me phrase" I believe means do not get attached to me, since he is leaving, but will come again later.
  • Actually I think He meant it don't touch me...because why would he tell her don't get attached to me...we are all attached to Christ.
  • Marianne87 said, "That's your key phrase right here and the answer to your question. When Jesus appeared to Mary, He didn't ascend to Heaven yet therefore she couldn't touch him...but a week later...Jesus has already ascended and was only coming to visit the disciples and assure them that that's really Him and to keep their faith strong."

So you are saying he ascended once temporarily to the Father before the actual ascension we celebrate 40 days after the Resurrection?
    Thanks
  • I think that's what happened...but anyone feel free to correct me on that if you know the answer.
  • After the resurrection by 40 days, Jesus was everywhere for Christ is God incarnate. What does Abouna say during "The Confession"? Abouna says "And never of His divinity, separate from His humanity, for a moment of a blink of an eye." Jesus was everywhere. While He appeared on earth, He was in heaven as well.
  • Please read the replies to the same question:
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=3918;start=15

from the last p. 5 of the posted PDF: