lent!

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
hey guyz,
i was wondering about the word lent is it rit or wrong because we were having an open discussion last week and i said the word lent and the teacher yelled at me! :'(

anyways.. the teacher didn't tell us why we can't say it..so i was wondering if anyone knows why!

GBU
sandra

Comments

• sandrahanna,
    The word lent is a Latin term, the Roman Catholic Church uses it to name the Holy forty days starting from Ash Wednesday to Easter Eve.
    In our Coptic Church we use the word, The Holy Great Fast " Al Sayam Al Kabeer "
    The teacher should not yelled at you, she just had to explain why we do not use it in our vocabulary as a Copts.
  • so does this mean we r not supposed to use this word?

becoz i think this is gonna be a problem with my church's sunday school as all the kids say lent lent all time... :o
  • No problem at all, just teach them to use a new word, the Holy Great Fast.
  • yeah, i think you should just explain to your teacher
  • wow thats interesting ...becasue my sunday skool teacher says lent...so its the Holy Great fast...gotcha! ;)
  • Lent is associated with the Catholic faith and it means giving up something during 40 days. However, we call it the ‘Great Fast’ because (1) that is the exact translation from Arabic (“Syome Kibeer”) and also because it we fast in a different way than the Catholics (our fast is longer and we deprive ourselves of more than just one thing).

ok, is that right?

GBU
    sandra
  • maybe your teacher got mad at you because you it didn't go for anyone cause some people are prob. a diff. religion and that is why (in my school i don't know about yours) we are not aloud to talk about religion. (well REALLY discuss it) cause some people get offended.

......unless you go to a cathlic or other religious school
  • I think she was talking about a sunday school teacher not an actual school teacher.
  • hmm..well that's strange..every preist and bishop I've ever heard lecture used the word 'Lent' when referring to the Lent..
  • Me too. In fact, abouna used the word last week at the youth meeting.
  • first of all, this was in sunday school not school.
    second of all, SOME people say it and they don't know its the catholic word of great fast, same here i didn't know at first.

if marmar or christ4life or ServantOfJesus got a chance to ask abouna about that its gonna be helpful maybe its not a catholic word, they know better.

GBU
    sandra
  • ok, there is nothing wrong with using the term lent. my abouna uses it. every one here does. and if you think about it, we still fast 40 days. it's in this order of rite:
    A week to get ready
    6 week the fast (40 original days)
    And the Holy Week.

Fathers ude to fast till the friday endingof the 40 days, than lazures saturday would be a normal day (without fasting, and also that's why the liturgy is prayer in annual tune) and than palm sunday starts out holy week. BUT than our fathers alos thought it's not right to finsh a fasting, than not fast for a day, and than fast again. so they said the last friday of the 40 days will be prayed as a sunday rite, than lazures saturday will be prayed in annual tune AND there will be no abstance of food, and than holy starts with palm sunday after.
  • [quote author=minagir link=board=13;threadid=3297;start=0#msg49307 date=1141510095]
    ok, there is nothing wrong with using the term lent. my abouna uses it. every one here does. and if you think about it, we still fast 40 days. it's in this order of rite:
    A week to get ready
    6 week the fast (40 original days)
    And the Holy Week.

Fathers ude to fast till the friday endingof the 40 days, than lazures saturday would be a normal day (without fasting, and also that's why the liturgy is prayer in annual tune) and than palm sunday starts out holy week. BUT than our fathers alos thought it's not right to finsh a fasting, than not fast for a day, and than fast again. so they said the last friday of the 40 days will be prayed as a sunday rite, than lazures saturday will be prayed in annual tune AND there will be no abstance of food, and than holy starts with palm sunday after.

LAZARUS SUNDAY>>>WHAT THE HECK IS THAT>>>
  • The saturday before palm sunday..to remember when Christ raised Lazarus from the dead.
  • btw does ne1 have the 'names' of the weeks of the fast in order?
  • 1st Sunday: gospel of St. Luke: chapter 12: 32-46
    2st Sunday: Sunday of Temptation
    3rd Sunday: Sunday of the Prodigal Son
    4th Sunday: Sunday of Samaritan Woman
    5th Sunday: Healing the Paralytic Man
    6th Sunday: Healing the Man born Blind
    7th Sunday: Palm Sunday

• cheeeers! :D
  • Palm Sunday is coming up, I'm so excited, I call it Palm Saturday the day that we get to make palms, I'm so EXCITED, it's so much fun, I'm known for my flowers, I can make flower rings and flower bracelets!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Yes, all my priests use the word lent as well.
    It's not like its a bad word or anything. They use "The Great Fast" as well.

btw, Holy Weeks starts the night of Palm Sunday after the general funeral.

• Yes, all my priests use the word lent as well.

there is nothing wrong with using the word "lent"... my foc uses it all the time and we even have our annual "Lenten retreat" every year, so if it was wrong, im assuming they would have called it something else.

yea i agree, nothing wrong with it cos it's written in the leturgy book and other church books as well