Question on Baptism

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everybody,

In John 3:1-13, Jesus talks about how we must be born again in the Holy Spirit. In John 3:8 Jesus says,

"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

I read a commentary on this on biblegateway.com that said that this means that God will direct the Holy Spirit and will send its influences where, and when, on whom, and in what measure and degree, He pleases.

This doesn't make sense because this implies that God doesn't give everyone an equal chance of gaining the Holy Spirit. So, I just wanted to know the correct interpretation of this passage.

Thanks and God bless.

...it seems like I've been posting up a bunch of questions on interpreting passages from the Bible. Does anyone know of a Bible or a book that has Coptic Orthodox interpretations on passages from the Bible?

Comments

• what does it mean that got doesn't give everyone one an equal chance ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Well, I understood this commentary as God choosing who He wants the Holy Spirit to work in because it says as He pleases. So, He will allow the Holy Spirit to work in some people, and He won't allow it to work in others. This doesn't make sense because I was taught that the Holy Spirit is for everyone, and it depends on us whether or not we will accept the Holy Spirit. This commentary implied that God won't give some people a chance to accept the Holy Spirit. I know this is wrong, so I wanted someone to give the correct interpretation on this verse.
  • Prior to answering the question posed, I will ask one question.
    The wind, does it blow on all people or only on those whom it wishes to blow upon?

Yet, interestingly, only few people will pay close attention to a small gust of breeze that passes by....for many fail to recognize what continually surrounds them wherever they may travel.
    Thus, the wind seems to whistle upon everyone it meets, yet only few consider to heed it's call.

God Bless.
  • ooooooooooohhhhhhhh I get it now.

thanks for the clarification.