Pyschics

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
What do you all think about Psychics? I don't mean the ones sent from God, to help us out, they are known for looking into the future! Like Pope Kyrillos VI he saw that future, and was a messenger from God! How many of you watch That's so raven, well, she is a psychic, played a role as a psychic, but what I don't get is that sometimes we might know what could happen, or not! I heard that the ones sent from God, are allowed, like Saints or Martyrs or even Popes! I was wondering, if anyone had any quotes from the Bible or quotes from Bishops or Pope Shenouda III!

Forever,
Coptic Servent

Comments

• Hey,

Those who practice that stuff and that related are considered an abomination to God... we dont believe in them, because the devil works through them... stuff like palm reading, card readers, psychics, etc are all a form of witchcraft and scorcery, etc....

Here's what the Bible says about them and things related:

"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you." Deutronomy 18:10-12

"Moreover Josiah put away those who consulted mediums and spiritists, the household gods and idols, all the abominations that were seen in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem..." 2Kings 23:24 --- (ie, they're bad because he got rid of them)

"A man or a woman who is a medium, or who has familiar spirits, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones." Levitcus 20:27

"Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God." Levitcus 19:31

"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." - Rev 21:8

Sure wouldnt be one of those people!!

Hope that Helps

Take care and God bless
  • That is so awesome CrazyCopt, that was so cool, I recognized the Revelations verse, I finished Revelations on Sunday I think, but I started on chapter 6 and worked my way up! Thank you so much CrazyCopt that was totally awesome!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • "..."There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you." Deutronomy 18:10-12"

What does calling up the dead mean(the blue text)?
  • Haha, no problem Coptic Servant ;)

Elitew,
    I believe that part in blue means talks to the spirits of dead people.

Do you remember the time when Saul was king, and God was upset with him and left him, then Samuel passed away... Saul was worried about many things, and went to the spiritist to call up Samuel's spirit and talk to him.... (it should be found in 1 Samuel Chpt 28)... that's what she did, she "called up the spirit of the dead" and allowed Saul to talk to Samuel's spirit....

Hope that helps!

Take care and God bless
  • Thanks for the reply CrazyCopt but I am still a little bit confused. What is the difference between asking like a saint who passed away/is dead for his/her intercession and talking to a dead spirit?
  • Hey,

The difference is that when we ask the Saint, we ourselves talk to them through prayer and means like that.... we dont really have a conversation face to face, but we know they hear us and reply to us one way or another.

Spiritists actually go through a wierd and scary process where they summon the spirit of the dead person and that spirit is present infront of you (usually they posess someone in order to talk through the body they possessed), and you talk to it face to face in a conversation....

With saints, we're asking for them to pray for us infront of the throne of God, and we're using a method He taught us (namely prayer)...

With summoning spirits, its definately nothing God-related...

I hope it sort of clears things up, if you're still confused, i dont mind TRYING to further clarify :)

Take care and God bless
  • Thanks much for the reply. I think that do clarify it better. If something pops up in my head I will post it later on.

Btw do you know anywhere in the bible where it mentions asking be it dead saints or prophets for their intercession? I think if there such practice whether in the old or new testament then I think that will end the case. You know, Protestants think doing such a thing is necramancy; that is why I raised the question.

Thanks for your time again and GBU!
  • Hey,

Well, i'm not sure about saints per-say, but there are points in the Bible when people intercede for others...

In Genesis 18, Abraham intercedes for Sodom....
    In the life of Moses, he is constantly interceding for Israel...

In the Wedding of Cana in Gallile, when St Mary told Jesus that the wine was done and they need help, it is the first proof in the bible of St Mary's intersession to mankind.... no one told her there was trouble, but she found out (doesnt specify how) and immediately went to Christ for help...

I can't tell you much, but in REV 5:8 it says "Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."
    And in REV 8:3-5 it also talks about prayers of the saints....

That's all i can come up with, i dont know if it's what you're looking for... but good luck!

Take care and God bless
  • "....REV 5:8 it says "Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."..."

I guess that will probably do it. If I am not mistaken, those saints are dead; that in other words mean they are able to pray after they are dead which also, I think, implys that they are capable of intercedding behind some one. That is my way of thinking at least for now. Thanks much CrazyCopt.
  • Yup, that's what i understood from that verse....

Good luck with everything!

Take care and God bless