Church vs. Homework

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Well i kinda am having problems with my h/w, mostly english. My teacher is giving away so much h/w over the weekends that when i go church i kind of have trouble concentrating on the liturgy because i keep dreading school the next day. It is so unfair i get a packet everyday now with lots of pages to read. and the book were reading, i would kind of say that it is really not appropriate for middle school. i really like to spend time reading some church books and work on hymns but it's just getting to be a problem with h/w. i am not saying h/w is bad but when u spend ure whole day doing pointless things like reading love stories and memorizing poems isn't it kind of haram? idk i would really like to hear what u have to say

PopeKyrillos

Comments

• LOOK, i don't like it ether espcily when i have to rite 2 five_paragraphs_essays everyday. and also when i have to take the HSPA tomorrow. :'( :'( :'(
    but gess what, who ever put the school system thought it would be useful for us to learn about eveyrithng even if we wont like it ot if we will not use it.

anyway u r saying it's english. u do need to learn english espcily when ur living in the english speaking country. and reading, it doesn't matter much what u read as long as it's approved by the school. its part of our life today, EDUCATION (is the only thing no one can take from you)

• and don't worry about school and church on sundays, you will have enough time to do ur homework. would u really need more than 48 hours to do ur HW (i mean 48 HOUR straught), of course not.
  • I think if your having problems with school and homework just try not to do many activites after church and just go hoe and do your homework then you can start having fun and doing whTEVER YOUR HEART DESIRES TO DO.
  • Well actually ya i know it's 48 hours but i'm kinda different i live 2 hours away from church and i get home from church at about 6:30 at nite so that kinda takes up the whole day. and saturday i do my best but i still don't finish every thing so i have to finish it up on sunday night,and i even start on friday night but it's never enough. usually between church and homework the whole weekend is gone, and ya mina i know how u feel i get essays 2. but there is sort of a big age difference and sometimes my essays are longer than 5 para. but like does anyone have sort of the same problem between managing time with church and school?

pk
  • ok, well..i don't usually have hw on the weekends but when i do, i don't have any problems with it.
    i come home from school friday i finish everything..i donno how come friday is never enought. i mean u come from school u have the whole day to do ur homework.

i have a question, what kinda homework do you get that could take 3 days to finish?

GBU
    sandra
  • well i have to read and answer about 25 questions per chapter. And whenever i ask my teacher for help she says figure it out ureself. so then i stay thinking about the question for such a long time it takes me for ever to finish. then i usually have about 2-5 worksheets to do on the chapter i read. then rite a 1 page summary on it. and look up some vocab words usually about 15-20 and use them in the summary , then there a poems i have to memorize daily. then there are the other subjects too, but thry give me normal work to do.

PK
  • :o
    no wonder why you don't have time to go to church!
    :o

well..try to do most of it on friday and whatever you don't finish you will probably finish it before sunday to go to church.

GBU
    sandra
  • There is something wrong with what you are saying. I feel like u kind exaggerating. Do you know what it means just one day studying?

Wake up at 8, start studying at 9, lunch at 12, break till 1, continue from 1 till 5 or 6 then dinner then finish at 9 pm. This is like 10 hours for just Saturday.

Get help.
    Ask your friends how they manage to finish.
    Organise your time.
    List what u have to do and estimate time for every entry.
    Watch the clock and see if you are following your schedule.
    Dont check every minute your email or msn or cell phone or TV or internet, etc.
    Dont waste your time. Take control of your time and dont let time take control of you.

HOPE THINGS GO WELL [glow=red,2,300] GOOD LUCK[/glow]
  • well see the thing is is sometimes the problem is i really can't finish my h/w and at other times i finish it but barely before i have to go to bed. and either way u put it i never have time to pray and read the bible, learn hymns. sometimes even i can't afford to eat or have a snack, and ya athanasius i asked my friends and they say well on the weekends they do nothing pretty much b/c most of them don't even go to church. and like i told u i wake up really early to go to church and come back in the late evening. so my sunday is usually just taken up. i just want to kind of find out what exactly what can i do? is my school just crazy and gives to much h/w? am i a lazy person? or am i just slow and should pick up the pace doing my h/w? i am really sorry that i keep putting up posts and am wasting ure time

PK
  • I think you should speak to your FOC... I am having what some people might think an opposite problem.. I read the bible, pray and do not study enough I think maybe.. but I do not know if even my bible reading is pleasing to God sometimes because I might not be doing what He might want me to do.. i.e, Study
  • Look man I know it can be. However if it is that much trouble you can do something. Pray! If you ask through the intersession of Saint Mary and other saints you will find that you will have some relief. Don't let it get to you. Go to Liturgy and pay attention to what God is saying and to the Bible readings, especially the Bible readings. I'm sure that everything will turn out fine.
  • Pray and tell God that you need some time with him, pray even while your doing your homework, you could even talk to your teacher about it, and ask your parents if you could have them come sit with your teacher, maybe even on conferences, and figure this problem out, this situation you need to figure it out before it explodes on you, not literally, just that the situation might get out of hand and you can't contol it anymore, if you have time after church you could do that. Try your best, ask for your intercessioner! Put your complaint on your the alter and see if that would work!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Hi PopeKyrollos,

Nice to meet you sicne I really havent met you before
    Ok, I think that you should manage your time, Start making a daily log of what you would do like wake up and do what blah bla. then think aobut ur prayer time and make sure that you pray at night right before bed. then pray before you do ur homework. trust me it eases things a little. after that, if you still dont get it try to get help from family, try really hard to finish everything on friday becuae although she may give u homeowrk until night, you can still do it becuase its the weekend. thats why this is how it works best for me. if you have math, do that first. then any worksheets then reading. if you still have project that are not due the NEXT day, work on those at the end and DO NOT and i repear DO NOT DO NOT stress yourself becuase it makes things so much harder on you. stay after to talk to ur teacher and trust me when she sees that you are trying really hard with all this effort, she will give you a break. have ur parents call her and schedule times where you can meet up with her becuase she will prolly listen to ur parents. do extra credit. study really hard and try your best. if you can do your part, GOD will do his because trust me its just like the chapter in the gospel of JOB. work on it really hard and god will in the end help you, trust me. PERSERVERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. thats a nice word. pray to god, and read the bible over and over. i also think that if you could set a time where you could relax. then go ahead. because no offense, but i doubt that you NEVER take breaks to watch TV or something. thats a bad habit becuase u end up forgetting things. please, take it easy on yourself and learn from every mistake that she gives you. turn it around to be positive. PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY. and talk to your FOC about how you could manage ur time better. and i think that if u realyl really need to you can take ur hw to churc hand get help from those around you at church, becuase im pretty sure they wont mind helping you. that way, you get it done by the supervisiion of adults and friends. make sure that ur FOC is aware of that and that he does not mind of you bringing your stuff to church

hope i hlped.
  • I havent read all the responses so sorry if i repeat enything. I so totally know what ur talking about , ur like my twin (lol). My English teachers, is so mean and when i ask a q she expects me to know and doesnt anwser ne way that isnt the point. I live like an hour away from church so i can only go on da weekend, its the only coptic orthodox church in all of Nevada ! And we dont have a steady priest so ya. I always have toooooooooo much to do its like im wasting my time analyzing poems (we r in our poem unit ) and writing poems, i hope that helps in the real world LOL.ays complain to my parents but they always tell me to get over it malich so i spend my whole weekend @ home finishing hw!!!!!!! Most of the klids that have her realy dislike her but they dont care enough to do their hw so they just have fun. I am always thinking of skool and how i'll do. So umm maybe u shud :"Seek Ye first the kingdom of god and all other will be added unto you." Sop conceterate on god first then ur skool.

luv
    mary
  • copticcross3,
    i do know what ur saying and at some point that happend to me. BUT what can u do with 48 HOURS. i know freinds who live about 2 hours away from my church (and they still come any way even tho there is a closer one), and they're in acadamic schools and do a lot diffrent from normal classes and STILL have time to go to church, hang out, and do oter stuff on weekends.

"Seek Ye first the kingdom of god and all other will be added unto you." Sop conceterate on god first then ur skool.'

copticcross3,
    that verse u put down is just a lame reason for you to not do ur homwork. u ur self said others don't care and here u are trying to be like "the others".
    u r rit, seek the kingdom of God first, but also the will of God. God wants u to be secceful here and in heaven. like balance ur life. and also, if u have a test tomorrow, i will go to church all day and leave studying and say i'll pass. of course not. like what would you beding in church all day that u didn't have time to study. i don't think any church could have service all day. and if she does, than you should divide ur time 2 hours here and 2 studying. so here u benefited. u took the blessing of going to church, and u studyed for ur test.

copticcross3, u still 12, i can't wait to see what u would say when u go to high school.
    so read this response this time, and reply.
  • I cant to see what I will be doing as well! ;) I dont mean to brag but FYI im in high skool algbera honors 8). Im not trying to get out of doing my hw. i am a perfectionist and i cant finishing ne thing fast!!!!! NOT AN EXCUSE , i promise . u r right my church as mass every week for like 2 hours then sunday skool then we leave ! I mantain straight As for now . and i hope to keep it that way, but i think God would rather u like ummmmmmmmmmm oh yeah be faithful in ur religon and like concentrate on rather then being succesful. what about all the monks that have like doctors of science.....etc. and they leave everything Ohhhh what now ?:D Joking !!!! ;D
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=10;threadid=3377;start=15#msg49549 date=1141882569]
    I cant to see what I will be doing as well! ;) I dont mean to brag but FYI im in high skool algbera honors 8). Im not trying to get out of doing my hw. i am a perfectionist and i cant finishing ne thing fast!!!!! NOT AN EXCUSE , i promise . u r right my church as mass every week for like 2 hours then sunday skool then we leave ! I mantain straight As for now . and i hope to keep it that way, but i think God would rather u like ummmmmmmmmmm oh yeah be faithful in ur religon and like concentrate on rather then being succesful. what about all the monks that have like doctors of science.....etc. and they leave everything Ohhhh what now ?:D Joking !!!! ;D

what do you mean to be faithful. are u like SINNING when u study. trust me, by may be skiping church 1 day for big test, God will help u more. not because u left church and went to study, but here u are going to chrch almost everysingle day (like what i do), and skiped 1 day, is God going to send angels to kill u or somthing . of course not. God would like if you do have a crear and there isn't anything for u to do in your life to do batter. and also, do u think all these rich ppl will may be go to hell or be judged for there seccesfulness. come on.

second, if u kno the rules of bing a monk these days (as HH put them), u wouldn't be speaking. what does being a monk mean. in one sentence it mean giving up ur life for God (when a monk get ordained, the prayer of the dead is prayed on him to show that he will be dead of his old life). if like we say today, " you don't have LIFE", than what are you going to sacrifice for God. if you don't have a jop, a house, a family, or anything else (don't have a life), think about it and it would be batter to go be a monk. but that person who thinks that way is taking th eopposite way. he doesn't know what a monk is all about.
    so monks do need to be seccesful(ask all the monestary apps we have in our church, and HH) for the fact that they would give that awsome life away just for GOD.

Now did you get it ??????
  • I get it ;D !!!!!! Hey im not a monk. Like u mentioned u go to church everyday but i barely go like maybe every 2 weeks sometimes even a month or two. So when i have a chance to go i like go duh !!!!!I get what ur saying but hw takes me a reaaaallllllly long time cuz i dont stay on target and i am a perfectionist so i could probably sit in front of a piece of math hw for like an hour until its done, but i do good on it. Same with studying !God sends angels to kill ppl??? ??? scary. i didnt know monks had the prayer of the dead thats kind of creepy. I hope im successful when i grow up n all its not like im gonna be a hobo 9my parents probably wouldnt let me, just cuz my ma graduated as a dentist in Egypt she always refers to how hard she worked on skool, same with my dad and they like make me do goo ) But ya i totally get what ur saying !!!! I couldnt do any after skool activities/cheer this yr
    cuz i just cant find the time !!!!!!!!!
  • sorry i didn't have the patience to read through all the posts this might have already been said but you can try to finish your hw on your way home from church since the ride is 2 hours that should give you plenty of time ;)
  • i agree with mina.

love lots,
    CopticChica21
  • I'm sorry Mina but I don't, I'll tell you why, some people get car sick, and the #1 reason they do is the roads are bumpy and you could get a headache from reading, or doing homework, or writing something, and plus, what if you are writing something and roads are bumpy and your utensil messed up, well actually your hand because your hand is holding the pencil!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • coptic servant, not everyone gets road sick :-\

sorry i didn't have the patience to read through all the posts this might have already been said but you can try to finish your hw on your way home from church since the ride is 2 hours that should give you plenty of time

and i kinda agree with that but i doubt it he/she is gonna finish all the homework..maybe u didn't read what kinda homework he/she gets in the first page!!

GBU
    sandra
  • ok... so she/he might not finish all the homework, but they will get some of it done...