Bible question.

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi everyone,
Yesterday, I was reading the Gospel of St. Mark, when I came across a passage that I did not understand... Mark 7:27-29.

27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs. 28 And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs. 29 And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter. 30 And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed.

What does it mean what Jesus said to the woman? If anyone knows, please let me know.

Comments

• Thanks Marmar! But how was he testing her faith... that's what i want to understand.
  • I don't know why...but I think this part has to do with the jews and gentiles..I think I heard it before but I might be wrong.
    I think he was saying that the Jews should have more blessing/etc..from the Lord, than should the gentiles. And that's where she answered...that they should take the blessings too because the dogs (gentiles) eat what is left from the children (meaning the Jews).
    I might be wrong in that..and testing her faith might be it...so anyone feel free to correct.
  • Marianne87 is right,
    Christ meant by the “Children”, the Jews and by the “Dogs”, the Gentiles.

In the Old Testament the Jews were the people of God who had the promises, the sonship, the heritage and the law. On the other hand, the Gentiles were enemies and strangers to God and were described as dogs, unclean animal sacrifice
    The Syrophoenician woman was so humble and acknowledge the fact that she is not worthy to eat from the same table as the Jews, to have the gift of healing to her mad daughter. She knew that the gift of Christ should be first to the Jews and if something remained which she described as the crumbs, then she is willing to have them, even at the feet of the Jews. That is why the Lord was marvelled at her faith which He did not find in the Jews.

• Thanks for clearing that up. :)
  • thats confusing because it's Jesus... doesnt He love everyone equally... are you sure.... why would Jesus refer to His children as dogs..

He was not using the term disparagingly. Romans and Greeks (i.e. the gentiles) regarded dogs quite highly, even if they were regarded lowly by the Jews. Jesus was hence using what is known as a "double entendre", of their low regard by the Jews along with their high regard and affection by the Gentiles in comparing her to an affectionate pet (the term translated "dog" is actually a word that is more accurately translated "puppy")

but now He is favoring Jews here? I understand that they were the chosen people, but wasn't Jesus supposed to have a different chosen people that would later become known as Christians?

Christ's mission was universal, He simply chose to minister to the Jews first, since they were His chosen people, and they were the ones to whom the prophecies concerning His coming and mission were given. It was just a matter of sequence and time.
  • It is not directly connected with the topic but in some ways it is, I guess. Anyhow can someone explain to me as to why God prefered Israelis as his chosen people over others? I am not saying there is something wrong with it rather just curious that if there were any sound premise/s behind it for I believe God has reason/s for everything he does!?

Please pray for me? and GBU!
  • I think they were the most righteous at that time..starting from Abrham...maybe because he was the most righteous person so God decided to make the covenant with him and not with anyone else. Abrham being an Israeli and all of his offspring were from that place so He chose all of them. I don't think at the time..other people worshipped One God...but I might be wrong, just an attempt for an answer.
    And without a doubt..I have to say...God is wise in His choices so you can't really know what God was thinking then.
  • Thank you for the reply Marianne87.
    Since Abrham was a holy man and at the sametime an Israeli thus God chose them over others…I am not really certain if that is as such good reason to do so or is it?

And as you said IF they were the only people who worshipped God or monotheistic at those times it may make sense. I am not quite sure if that is historically valid? For now I will just leave it at that and try to digest it. If a question pops up in my mind I will be back.

• there is a reason why the jews were chosen:
    Abraham their father followed the lord with all his heart in his times but at his times no-one else did so this is the first reason why God chose the 'Jews'

second why did he chose certain people anyway?
    because there has to be reference so that when Jesus was incarnated people won't say this has just happened suddenly and it was not said that such a thing is about to happen but by chosing those people he made it known to the gentiles that those people are waiting for the messiah

and that helped those who believed in him (jesus) after that and it proved that this is the right faith as any1 can trace back to the begining of creation in the (bible)

i wish i helped!
  • I am not sure if that is going to answer the question but thanks anyways!
  • Elitew,

Since Abrham was a holy man and at the sametime an Israeli thus God chose them over others……I am not really certain if that is as such good reason to do so or is it?

I do not understand what do you mean by ”……I am not really certain if that is as such good reason to do so or is it? “

God, the Righteous Judge, drove out His first creation, Adam and Eve, because of their sin and disobedient against His command. God the Almighty destroyed the Old World, with the flood, because there had not been a single man , aside from Noah, on earth that was righteous in God’ Eye. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, the land and all the people, with the exception of Lot’s family, because they were wicked in the sight of God.
    When God had chosen Abraham, he was the only righteous man on the whole face of earth, by the way he was not Israelite, “ Thus says the Lord GOD to Jerusalem: Your origin and your birth are of the land of the Canaanites; your father was an Amorite, and your mother a Hittite.” Izekiel 16:3 .
    God made His covenant with him and with his descendants and they started to be called Israelites, when He changed Jacob’s name to Israel.

And as you said IF they were the only people who worshipped God or monotheistic at those times it may make sense. I am not quite sure if that is historically valid?

All the nations on the face of earth was worshipping idols even if they believed in one god, an example was of Ancient Egyptian worshipping Atone the god of Sun. Israel was surrounded by pagan’s nations, of whom God asked them not to marry from them or imitate their habits or mode of worship. When they disobeyed Him, He first divided their kingdom, sent them to exile and ten of their tribes disappeared. Our Lord is the Righteous God who hates sin and He is a Sovereigns God who can do whatsoever good in His sight.

• I do not understand what do you mean by ”……I am not really certain if that is as such good reason to do so or is it? “

Safaa,what I was trying to say was ...after I posed the question as to why God chose Israelites over others? Marianne and then mc_hnn answered by stating that Abrham was a very righteous person and also an Israeli. Therefore Israelites were chosen over others because of him.
    So after reading as to why they were elected I stated my uncertainty of their way of thinking, I may be wrong though! To make it understandable let us say, this is just an example, that you are a descendant of Abraham; on the other hand my ancestors are Egyptians who were worshipping idols. Then God chose you over me just solely because of your ancestors’ deeds rather than taking into account yours and mine. If that was what hppened, do you think that was a right thing to do?

When God had chosen Abraham, he was the only righteous man on the whole face of earth, by the way he was not Israelite, “ Thus says the Lord GOD to Jerusalem: Your origin and your birth are of the land of the Canaanites; your father was an Amorite, and your mother a Hittite.” Izekiel 16:3 .

You are right, thank you for correcting me.

All the nations on the face of earth was worshipping idols even if they believed in one god, an example was of Ancient Egyptian worshipping Atone the god of Sun.

If that was the case with the exception of Israelites then that sounds more reasonable, I guess, for chosing them over others.

• I'd like to thank everyone who participated in helping me understand this passage. I really appreciate it. But I have another question now! In Mark 9: 11-13 it says:

11 And they asked Him, saying, “Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”

12 Then He answered and told them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and restores all things. And how is it written concerning the Son of Man, that He must suffer many things and be treated with contempt? 13 But I say to you that Elijah has also come, and they did to him whatever they wished, as it is written of him.”

How has Elija come already? If he had come already, does that mean he won't come again? Wasn't he taken up in flesh... he needs to come again so his body could die, right? Was Jesus referring to John the Baptist when speaking of Elija?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please let me know.

God Bless you all!
  • Can anybody help me understand please?
  • The Lady that asked Jesus for His Blessing was not a believer .....as she was not Christain or Coptic ......Therefore ....Jesus said to her "Let the children first be filled......(First let You and your children be christains and believers) For it is not meet to take the children's bread.....( It is not right to take the Christain's Blessings) and to cast it unto the dogs............ ( and give it to the unblievers)And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs........( Then despite her fate... She told him that even the dogs eat of the leftovers and the crumbs of the table as even the unblievers learn from the right and true religion and need Their Blessings.)And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; (Jesus then said that He has not found faith as strong as this woman).......the devil is gone out of thy daughter. 30 And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed.

• i am sorry i answered the wrong question but for ur second question about Elijah...that honestly i do not know so best thing to do is ask Your Father of confession and Pray for an answer ...just like Anba Ibram did.....when He had bible study with the congregation .....and they couldnot understand a passage ....they would pray for an answer and God will send one of the people in the church to answer the question ..so Sorry again and just Pray
  • It's okay! Thanks for trying anyways. I'll take your advice and ask Abouna, then I'll post it up so every one will know the answer as well.

Please remember me in your prayers!
  • yea that is a good idea...to post it up so We all know the answer because i personally want to knwo the answer...

remember the lost souls and pray for their return
  • [quote author=Marmoura99 link=board=1;threadid=3363;start=15#msg49362 date=1141657432]
    I'd like to thank everyone who participated in helping me understand this passage. I really appreciate it. But I have another question now! In Mark 9: 11-13 it says:

11 And they asked Him, saying, “Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”

12 Then He answered and told them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and restores all things. And how is it written concerning the Son of Man, that He must suffer many things and be treated with contempt? 13 But I say to you that Elijah has also come, and they did to him whatever they wished, as it is written of him.”

How has Elija come already? If he had come already, does that mean he won't come again? Wasn't he taken up in flesh... he needs to come again so his body could die, right? Was Jesus referring to John the Baptist when speaking of Elija?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please let me know.

God Bless you all!

John the Baptist is often referred to as the "Elijah" of the New Testament (anyone feel free to correct me). By saying Elijah God was referring to John the Baptist, who in fact did come before Christ.
  • Thank you Christ4Life! Before i found out that anyone had replyed to the topic, I went and asked Abouna to explain and he also said that Jesus is talking about John the Baptist. So you are right! :D

God Bless you all!

Please pray for me and all of humankind!