The Holy bread

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Does anyone know the recipe of how to make the holy bread. If you know the recipe please send them to me. Thanks.

Comments

• Do you mean the Holy Body, we don't call it bread, it's orbana in arabic, if you go to church, they may give you recipes there, I know it contains, wheat, flour, and water!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • EXCUSE MEEEEE,

WHAT"S THE HOLY BREAD??? ??? ??? ???
  • Ok I think I can Help. I make Orban occasionally for my church. If You still Need it ask me.

PopeKyrillos
  • First off welcome to the site chris i am also new. Are u guys
    taking about the orbana u take for communion or the one aboina hands out at the end ? Either way i don't know the recipe that would be really cool to know. Can kids make the orban for church?

God Bless
    much luv
    mary
  • minagir: He meant the Holy Body which we take during communion.

Ok all orban is made the same (I think?). If there is something different, it would probably be the orban of the hamal, which is chosen from it the sacrafice that is to be offered.
  • Can kids make the orban for church?

Yes every one can do orban except women who are between 10 and may be 60. that also includess them not entering the orban room (which is called Bethlehem). that's for general orban. but the hammal is done by men. In making orban itself there is not much diffrent. it's the same recipe except may be the size is diffrent AND the hammal is done with care cuz of the fact that one of them will be the Lamb.

and just one thing, the orban is never to enter the alter before the liturgy.
    I personaly do prban with my dad every week for our church so i would know :)
  • You guys didn't answer his/her question...lol
    I think I know the reciepe..
    it's just water, flour and yeast...no wheat, you mix all of that, and just shape it and do it with the (khtem) no idea what's the word for that in english. I think you put as much flour as you put water..like if it's 3 cups of water, it would be 3 cups of flour (but I might be mistaken in that one), and for the yeast (about a full spoon of yeast with a cup of warm water) then put it on the mix so it would rise..
    Something else..never put sugar or salt in the orban...and the orban is all the same, whether it's for the hamal or the barka. And according to my abouna...NO WOMEN ARE ALLOWED TO DO it no matter what their age is.
  • ok, let's think about it. first the orban room is Bethlehem, and also is an alter. to do orban you need to be in the orban room. and orban room is similar to an altar which the woman can't enter either.

anther way, the chosen Lamb dwells on the alter for liturgy. but if u thionk about it, where was that Lamb before it gets up there in heaven and on the alter.
  • here is a recipe for the orban, it is for 5 lb flour,

ok here is what you need to have before you start,

1- Agpeya
    2- 5 lb flour bag
    3- warm (not cold and not hot) water, around a 5 cups, (you may not use all of them)
    4- yeast (which represent our sins)
    5- stamp (khetm)
    6- somthing to do holes with
    7- roler
    8- something to roll on like a peice of flat wood
    9- trays

ok lets start (many people won't tell you this in public forum, they feel it is their secret)

STEPS:

1- so you put a spoon (medium to small size) of yeast in half a cup of warm water mix it, and let it stay there for couple of minutes untill you smell it, or you find bubles coming out

2- put the yeast with the water that you just mixed with the flour that you have prepared in a bowl,

3- mix the flour with the warm water littel by littel until it forms a 3ageena

4- make sure it is soft, add more water as needed

5- cover it waith a towel, and let it sit for about 15 minutes

Pray the hour in which you are doing the orban in (if you do not pray that hour, it will become like normal bread, I mean in taste) you can do this hear, or may be at step 12

6- cut the 3ageena into small balls, and roll untill it becomes a circle, you may need to use more flour under and above the ball, so that it won't get stuck with anything, just a very small amount

7- stamp it without putting the holes yet

8- so repeat step 6 and 7 untill you are done,

9- remeber to cover the 3ageena while you are working or it will get hard (and trust me you don't want this to happen)

10- put flour under the orbana on the tray, and stamp it there (some people put it on a towel, and then transfer it before they bake)

11- leave it for 2 hours untill it rises.

12- put holes in the orbana (5 exactly) which represent the 5 wounds of christ

there are four corners in the stamp, make holes in these four corners and the fifth put in the middle of any two holes

13- bake at 350 F for around 10-15 minutes,

so in the liturgy the arabny will be prayed for 5 times, which is a great blessing.

one more thing we put yeast in the orban, which represents our sins. then in the liturgy christ dies for our sins and then rises with great glory.

also the orbana should be a circle, so that it would represent God, who has no begining nor an end,

Pray for me while you are doing the orban

LMary
  • Nice and detalied...a lot better than I explained.
    God Bless you. :)
  • wow i didn't think sum1 would really care to tell us how the orban is made omg now i know....yes! lol

God bless you brethren
  • WHY, isn't that how the hammal is first made and than ONE is blessed and made holy to be the Lamp.

and i just wanted to add that on whatLMary said, that u don't really have to wait all the time for the yeast. but the basics are great details. thank you!
    and also that the arabny needs to may be read all the psalms. so what my dad does sometimes is that we have the set of 6 tapes for the book Psalms chanted or kind of read that we hear while we doing orban.
  • minagir: Yes every one can do orban except women who are between 10 and may be 60. that also includess them not entering the orban room (which is called Bethlehem).

ok, let's think about it. first the orban room is Bethlehem, and also is an alter. to do orban you need to be in the orban room. and orban room is similar to an altar which the woman can't enter either.

anther way, the chosen Lamb dwells on the alter for liturgy. but if u thionk about it, where was that Lamb before it gets up there in heaven and on the alter.

I understood ur explaination about why woment aint allowed 2 enter bethlehem, but (ok this maybe sound stupid), can they enter at a time when the orban is not being made.

2 b honest, i didnt know about this rule b4, and i entered very often :-[

Marian
  • i don't think it's a sin if u did that?

also whyyy can't we enter this room?
  • I understood ur explaination about why woment aint allowed 2 enter bethlehem, but (ok this maybe sound stupid), can they enter at a time when the orban is not being made.

In my church, people who do the orban do it in the regular kitchen because we didn't build a special room for the orban yet..so guess what all women enter that all the time. Also, some people do it in their own home, so there is nothing wrong with entering that as well.
  • I forgot one moe thing in the steps, in step 5 which you will cover the 3ageena, nake 4 holes by your finger like the shape of the cross, so that the air would come out and the 3ageena won't explode, and I will get back to all the questions that have been posted about who to do the orban. and who should be there!! good questions ;D

LMary