Why is dancing wrong?

Comments

• Excellent question!

Often, there are sins that are not clearly enumerated in the Bible. But we can tell that they are sins through extrapolation of those things that are mentioned. For example, the Bible makes absolutely no mention of people who hack into websites and shut them down. But we know from Jesus' teachings that we must love our neighbor and not hurt them unnecessarily. Hacking into the websites of others just to shut them down is clearly hurtful conduct, therefore it is a sin.

So it all comes down to making logical extrapolations based on what has been clearly written for all times.

God bless you for asking this!
  • So it all comes down to making logical extrapolations based on what has been clearly written for all times.

So what logical extrapolations have you concluded from or for dancing?
  • Well SMS, dancing isn't a sin in itself. But if it incites other conduct that is clearly forbidden, then we might have a problem.

God bless!
  • I just realised something we always start posts with is xyz wrong, like in this case, dancing. How about starting threads by saying is dancing right? After all our aim is to seek to do things that bring us to God rather than looking at it in the negative and thinking what can I get away with...

CS
  • o0o0o...I like that idea CS. Very very good. We can try that next time. Great Idea!!!! :)

- Chris
  • quick verse on that note...

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify."
    1 Corinthians 10:23

to "edify" is to "build up"... (i had to ask about that one so i thought i would share :) )... if it doesn't build us in the image of Christ, then why waste our time?
  • as no one has said in a long time: HIGH FIVE FOR YOU! :D
  • [quote author=Marys link=board=1;threadid=325;start=30#msg4341 date=1087936458]

to "edify" is to "build up"... (i had to ask about that one so i thought i would share :) )... if it doesn't build us in the image of Christ, then why waste our time?

Not everything I do has a direct impact on the "image" of Christ. For example, when I buy myself a kebab (which is a kind of food that is often skewered on a stick), it's because I want to eat the kebab, not because I'm trying to do something Christianity related. Similarly, when I do a victory dance every time Kobe Bryant sinks in a game-winninng shot, it's not because I'm praising God so much as it's that I'm celebrating his good fortune. But I don't think that either acts are a waste of time, especially if they make me feel good. :)

The real issue is whether our behavior (be it eating kebabs, dancing in front of a TV, expressing a crush, scratching our itchy feet, picking our noses, saving money on gas by riding a bike, playing golf, or whatever) interferes with our duty to love God and generally do good. If it doesn't, then I'm not sure there's a problem.

God bless!
  • but does it GLORIFY God?
    eating... ur feeding the Lord's body
    doing a victory dance for kobe.... absolutely no comment... if u were to do a victory dance for anybody, of all peopel, it should NOT be kobe (jk)
    expressing a crush... expressing emotions, just express them the RIGHT and PROPER, GLORIFYING GOD way lol
    scratching itchy feet... scratching God's feet too
    picking noses... once more: no comment
    riding a bike... saving the earth God created and not putting a hole into the ozone or saving that one last worker from dying from an asthma attack
    playing golf... exercise
    whatever... whatever
    so unless u think that dancing is somehow glorifying God's image, cause as u can c, everything does... then, by all means... DANCE!
  • [quote author=SMS link=board=1;threadid=325;start=30#msg4352 date=1087941831]
    but does it GLORIFY God?
    eating... ur feeding the Lord's body
    doing a victory dance for kobe.... absolutely no comment... if u were to do a victory dance for anybody, of all peopel, it should NOT be kobe (jk)
    expressing a crush... expressing emotions, just express them the RIGHT and PROPER, GLORIFYING GOD way lol
    scratching itchy feet... scratching God's feet too
    picking noses... once more: no comment
    riding a bike... saving the earth God created and not putting a hole into the ozone or saving that one last worker from dying from an asthma attack
    playing golf... exercise
    whatever... whatever
    so unless u think that dancing is somehow glorifying God's image, cause as u can c, everything does... then, by all means... DANCE!

;)
  • im sorry SMS, but u lost me ??? :-\
  • [quote author=egprincess link=board=1;threadid=325;start=30#msg4376 date=1087954151]
    im sorry SMS, but u lost me ??? :-\

It's OK, she was just answering my post. Although I have to admit that I never thought of my feet as God's feet and my nose as God's nose, even though I understand the idea that God owns my body. I guess it means I should stop picking my nose. Just kidding. ;D
  • i think thats wat lost me
  • I think I get it. SMS is just trying to show how each thing benefits us as well as glorifies god. She's also saying that if you can find a reason to dance that glorifies god, praises his name, and benefits us, then by all means, DANCE.

sleepy
  • well SMS
    watching tv does not glorify god
    singing is in some ways is not glorifying god
    so if we think there are some things that we do in our normal day life that does not glorify god
    so we should just stop them
    stop going shopping
    hanging out with friends
    singing ... etc,etc

so what should we do
    plz explain
  • Well, not ALL tv is bad. Not ALL singing is bad. You need to look to the good things.

sleepy
  • I can think of some dances that Glorify God. Ballet, Wedding Dances, etc...
  • im being realistic here. here who of us, that everything they do glorifys God. not me, im the first to admit. unless ur living in a monstary or convenat, i dont think its possible.
  • even if you live in a monastery, not everything can be for glorifying God (it would be good if we could but we are human), sometimes you just want to eat a burger, cause you feel like a burger...
  • i have to agree with copticsoldier. not all dancing is wrong. some dancing is used to glorify God and praise Him; for example some churches in south africa use dance as a part of their liturgy to express with their whole bodies, their joy of being in Christ. you have to be wise: know when it becomes excessive (as St Paul teaches us to be moderate) and when it's becoming temptation rather than innocent fun, art, or praise, know when to stay away (however the art debate could go on forever..). you need to use your judgement and God's guidance.
    if you're talking more specifically about graduations, school dances, proms, etc, then yes, be careful; not only is the kind of dancing ('grinding' as they call it) that goes on there impure, but the atmosphere isn't one for Christ's children. remember, He lives in us-we don't want to be where He wouldn't either.
    God bless!
    h
  • hey you guys..
    what i had meant is that we should try to eliminate the things that don't glorify God so that way, we can be perfect as he is.... after all, that is what he asks of us...right?
    so when you watch TV, watch something beneficial to your knowledge, like an enviromental or historical show...or watch a religous program that won't ruin ur mind
    when you sing, sing a song that praises him, etc
    God never said don't have friends, and don't hang out with them.... but whne you do, instead of sitting around and gossipping, go swimming, play a game, play a sport, do something thats fun AND glorifying
    when you go shopping... don't look at things that you wouldn't wear in God's presence... or something that may lure someone else into looking at you
    Glorifying God doesnt mean open the bible, sit there, and read it while your just chillin out... God never asked that
    just hang out in a good pure way... as someone said the verse before that goes "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify." we should live our lives according to it

and as far as dancing goes.... we're not from south africa, and we don't have religous dancing.. and if you dance as an art, keep it strictly to an art and nothing more
    if you do find ANY point in dancing whatsoever, let me know...because i have yet to find one
  • Sounds good sms
  • [quote author=SMS link=board=1;threadid=325;start=45#msg4791 date=1088194961]
    hey you guys..
    what i had meant is that we should try to eliminate the things that don't glorify God so that way, we can be perfect as he is.... after all, that is what he asks of us...right?
    so when you watch TV, watch something beneficial to your knowledge, like an enviromental or historical show...or watch a religous program that won't ruin ur mind
    when you sing, sing a song that praises him, etc
    God never said don't have friends, and don't hang out with them.... but whne you do, instead of sitting around and gossipping, go swimming, play a game, play a sport, do something thats fun AND glorifying
    when you go shopping... don't look at things that you wouldn't wear in God's presence... or something that may lure someone else into looking at you
    Glorifying God doesnt mean open the bible, sit there, and read it while your just chillin out... God never asked that
    just hang out in a good pure way... as someone said the verse before that goes "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify." we should live our lives according to it

and as far as dancing goes.... we're not from south africa, and we don't have religous dancing.. and if you dance as an art, keep it strictly to an art and nothing more
    if you do find ANY point in dancing whatsoever, let me know...because i have yet to find one

for myself, i think i wont be able to do that.
  • to keep in shape... to let loose... i can't dance so... :'(
  • Michael, didn't you say that you play music? If you can do that, then you can dance. :)
  • its wrong if ur intentions are wrong..

wow im a parrot ;D
  • lol i dun get it either cuz im new
  • I guess if you keep it clean, then it's ok, and I think I speak for everything here. If that doesn't help, imagine god watching you from the side, would you be ashamed to do what you're doing with him there....if you like your answers keep on going, if not, then stop.

sleepy
  • i still dont see how this in any way glorifies God, at all...
  • does eating gloryify God?
    and i dont think everything we do glorifys God.
    as long as it is clean then wats the problem?