food

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
"CONSIDER THE RAVENS,FOR THEY NEITHER SOW NOR REAP...AND GOD FEEDS THEM. OF HOW MUCH MORE VALUE ARE YOU THAN THE BIRDS?"
LUKE CH12 V24

if this is so, why are many people suffering from starvation... i hope im not reading this verse too literally.

Comments

• I think this verse is showing us the necessity of the Eucharist. It is food for our Soul. God feeds the material needs of animals, how much more our spiritual needs? How wonderfully God allows us to be filled with Himself.
  • i don't know Michael if He is talking about spiritual food and G.J.I he wasn't talking about acutal food when i read that verse i see God telling us why do you care so much about your life and your food and everything why do you worry so much if the birds, and the animals and all things are not worried and they find food, and rest then how come you the sons of God (us) are worried and scared i think it is more of a verse to put our berdin and worries on Christ and not on ourselves
    now answering the starvation part God has a plan and reason behind everything and you can never know why He is doing that
  • i think sometimes people suffer from starvation because of our selfishness. Look at the way God fed Ishmael in the desert, and the Israelites with manna... that was a pre-cursor to Christ feeding the world with His Body.
  • Hey All,
    I think Michael Thoma is correct. People that don't care (99.999%) in the U.S. and around the world, take advantage of the things that they have. Food is a scarcity in many nations, yet, that doesn't seem to be an eye opener for us. Hint Hint: Maybe people need to stop wasting food!
  • Oh gosh, Peter, never say "hint hint" again, coz my teacher ALWAYS says that and it's SO annoying..lol

Epsaltos Mike
  • well keep in mind that your lord is great and whatever happens, happens for a reason. What is the reason? it changes in all cases and some we may not know. how did this person become poor? Did they ask god for help? Do they truly love him or only call to him in time of need? There are many questions in which it could be specified.
  • I find that for the most part, many who are the poorest are the ones with the most Faith in God... When I went to a mission trip in West Virginia, and Bolivia, the poor the people were, the nicer and kinder they were.
  • Actually there's enough food to feed the whole world...poverty actually moved from europe to the colony's, and with it also people started to suffer from starvation...it's definetely in most cases the fault of selfishness from human beings as stated before :(

-matt-
  • i herd that over-eating (after ur full) jus 4 the taste of the food is sin. is that tru? it duz sound a little like greediness...
  • actually it is gluttony

In the words of nineteenth-century Russian Bishop Ignatius Brianchaninov:

Wise temperance of the stomach is a door to all the virtues. Restrain the stomach, and you will enter Paradise. But if you please and pamper your stomach, you will hurl yourself over the precipice of bodily impurity, into the fire of wrath and fury, you will coarsen and darken your mind, and in this way you will ruin your powers of attention and self-control, your sobriety and vigilance.

Medieval theologian St. Thomas Aquinas said of Gluttony: "Gluttony denotes, not any desire of eating and drinking, but an inordinate desire... leaving the order of reason, wherein the good of moral virtue consists." (2, 148, ad 1)