Truning Religions

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Does anybody know the proccess that you have to go through if you aren't coptic to becoming of the Coptic Religion? I know that you have to talk to Abouna and get baptized, but after that do you like have to fast or wait to take communion or do something special? Because, It's not that big of a question, but I am just wondering?

Also, do you have to be a certain age? What if your parents dont want you to, but you really want to and can't and thats not really fair, but would you be able to without your parent's permission? I was just wondering about this. Thanks for helping...

Comments

• good question....we have a girl in my skool like that...she wants to become coptic but she is NOT allowed..i think she is Hindu..

GOOD QUESTION
  • know that you have to talk to Abouna and get baptized, but after that do you like have to fast or wait to take communion or do something special? Because, It's not that big of a question, but I am just wondering?

Once one is baptised and Chrismated, they are full members of the Church and there are no special conditions or restrictions placed upon them of any kind. They may partake of the Eucharist as with any other member of the Church, and they are required to adhere to the regulations of the Church as with any other member.

Also, do you have to be a certain age? What if your parents dont want you to, but you really want to and can't and thats not really fair, but would you be able to without your parent's permission? I was just wondering about this. Thanks for helping...

There is no standard answer to your questions; all such things are ascertained by the priest (or even the Bishop if necessary) on a case by case basis.

For example, there is no age limit per se, but the priest may decide that the particular potential convert in question is too young in any event, or that their reasons for wanting to convert are immature. He may also decide that due to the child's family's circumstances, that it would be better for the child to wait till adulthood, to avoid family friction and tension.

Usually it is the priest's responsibility to make sure a catechumen (which is the Orthodox term for new converts) is sufficiently educated in the Church, and is prepared to partake in the life of Grace that the Church offers. It is not meant to be a simple process, because to be baptised is a very serious thing, and the priest must make certain that the catechumen is well-prepared and worthy of reception into the Church.
  • [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=3147;start=0#msg46900 date=1138943520]
    good question....we have a girl in my skool like that...she wants to become coptic but she is NOT allowed..i think she is Hindu..

GOOD QUESTION

why isnt she allowed?
  • thanks IQBAL, that was a really good answer. thank you
  • Wow that color is hard too read ;D
  • what color? pink.. lol ;)
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=1;threadid=3147;start=0#msg46941 date=1138970316]
    [quote author=why link=board=1;threadid=3147;start=0#msg46900 date=1138943520]
    good question....we have a girl in my skool like that...she wants to become coptic but she is NOT allowed..i think she is Hindu..

GOOD QUESTION

why isnt she allowed?

can someone answer...
  • She's probably still a minor living in her parent's home. Her parent's may object to her leaving Hinduism. Therefore she should wait until she is older. Also, she may be considered too young to make this decision now. I do not know about this particular case, but it gets complicated when you are dealing with children.
  • Just to add something...once you are baptized, you have to take communion right away...so there is no time to wait or anything.
  • That is correct Marianne, but they can not take the body because it is too sacred, and they might spit it out, so the priest doesn't give to them, unless they have teeth to chew!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=3147;start=0#msg48019 date=1140038831]
    That is correct Marianne, but they can not take the body because it is too sacred, and they might spit it out, so the priest doesn't give to them, unless they have teeth to chew!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

No, the body is just as sacred as the blood. However, most people that are baptized are infants that do not have teeth, therefore they cannot chew. So they only take the blood until they are able to chew.
  • Does anybody know the proccess that you have to go through if you aren't coptic to becoming of the Coptic Religion?

Just a clarification:

It is more accurate to refer to our faith as the Orthodox faith, our religion as christianity. Coptic is a race, culture and not a faith. We do not preach to people so they can become coptic, but orthodox (oriental orthodox).