Is it a sin not to pray even a little from each hour of the agbeya?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
What if you want to spend that hour reading a spiritual book and the agbeya becomes a burden?

I sometimes feel like sleeping a bit longer I think because I dont want to read from the agbeya straight away I think... it seems repetitive and my feelings maybe isnt much different then the last time I read from it I think.

Comments

• I think that in our busy societies, only monks can read the seven hours (prayers) of the agbeya. However, the agbeya should certainly not feel like a burden.

I find that memorization is important. If you memorize certain parts it will come to you easily like the Lord's prayer. This allows you to pray the selection anywhere you go without having the Agbeya book infront of you.
    This, then, will not feel like a "burden" anymore.

Also, God judges you on your effort. So as long as you put an effort to improve your spiritual life (by prayer, fasting, being spiritualy prepared and free of guilt etc.) If you are unable to read the seven hours of the agbeya, then you need not worry as long as you made an effort.

• Today's sermon from Abouna talked about pray a little bit from the Agpeya, IDOLS, idols do not have to statues, Idols-is something that prevents you from worshipping Our Lord, idols can be any of these, money, computer, tv, shopping, cars, homework, work and anything else that can keep you away from God! It is a sin, I think if you look at the facts, I loved today's sermon it was outstanding!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I think it depends on what your FOC tells you, each one is different...
  • lol yea wat about that one?

actually abouna said that the time you spend on school is the time God considers that isnt empty... and its the time "el rabina be awado"... but like i cant pray every single hour if im at school...

btw can someone tell me exactly when we're supposed to pray each hour? i know prime is in the morning, vespers is the evening and compline is at night but what about the rest?
    thanks in advance ;) :)
  • Prime: 6:00 A.M.
    Terce: 9:00 A.M.
    Sext: 12:00 P.M. (noon)
    None: 3:00 P.M.
    Vespers: 5:00 P.M.
    Compline: 6:00 P.M.
    Midnight: 12:00 A.M.

Just add 6 hours to whatever hour it is in the agpeya
  • o thank you soo much...
  • My heart sometimes is not into it I think... maybe sometimes if I really want my heart to get into it I might take 3 hours for just one part like Prayer of thanskgiving... because I feel dead I think..

And still I dont think I was really contemplating much I think..

and then there is so much prayers left... and I want to be reading something I enjoy like a spiritual book... because sometimes I am depressed and I have been diagnosed with clinical depression before I think.

pray for me!
    And pray for me to feel im a sinner.. because maybe I think im very holy now.
  • If we pray all those prayers I think maybe we will only get six hours of sleep everyday... is that healthy?

If we follow that maybe we wont have as much time to do good deeds to our brothers and sisters who are poor, naked, in prison, thirsty, hungry .. and to strangers? and other good deeds?
    But maybe I like this because I feel like im unable to help my brothers and sisters... or to have much sweet conversation and care for them sometimes.... but the truth is" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Will God accept me if I pay attention to prayers and bible reading and not do as much good deeds? But then what good will the bible reading do to me if I dont apply it?
    But how often does God send to me a poor, hungry, thirst, orphan, widow, stanger, one who is poorly clothed.. etc? am I able mentally to deal with someone in prison? what will I say to him/her? Must I seek these people out? Where will I find them?

Maybe people here have the same questions?

• it shouldn't take you that long to pray from the agpeya, even it takes you a long time to get into the "mood". you don't need to do that, keep praying even if you're not in "the mood", you will still benefit. If you can't concentrate, then thats another issue...
  • and you can alternate the times to fit your schedule... right now i only pray prime n compline, but if i was to pray the midnight prayer id prolly pray it at 11 or 11:30... it doesnt have to be at exactly that time...