Good Joking vs Bad Joking

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Can anyone give examples of good joking and bad joking?

Mostly good joking... because I think maybe most if not all joking is bad...

But I think maybe there is some good joking because I think our pope did joke and play with some children?

"How to relate to children"
By
His Holiness Pope Shenouda III

http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Children/

Comments

• Simple; good joking is just pure funny jokes that don't evoke any sin, hatred, etc. Bad jokes are those that promote racisim, hatred, etc. I personally don't think it's THAT big of a deal to say racist jokes..I mean, I'm not racist but it's okay to poke fun at people, including ourselves..too many egy jokes have I told..it depends on you tab3an..there's also those peverted jokes that I completely don't approve of..it's not even poking fun at anything..it's just for sick minded because normal people wouldn't think of matters in such a way.
  • No I think racist jokes are very wrong...
  • Why? People normally make fun of each other for the fun of it and not for any conempt..my friends and I always joke like that..I don't think it's wrong unless someone really does hold contempt for that particular race/person. ::)
  • 1. A sin hidden in the guise of virtue:
    How easy it is for the devil to offer you some sins under
    different names, in a style which can be easily accepted so
    that sins become disguised as virtues.
    As the Lord has said, "... come to you in sheep's clothing, but
    inwardly they are ravenous wolves." (Matt 7:15)
    Mocking or sneering at people is introduced as gentleness and
    courteousness, affection, familiarity, wittiness and an attempt at
    humour.
    He calls cunning, intelligence!

From Diabolic Wars? by H.H Pope Shenouda III
    http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Diabwars/index.html
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=board=10;threadid=2959;start=0#msg45079 date=1136110404]
    1. A sin hidden in the guise of virtue:
    How easy it is for the devil to offer you some sins under
    different names, in a style which can be easily accepted so
    that sins become disguised as virtues.
    As the Lord has said, "... come to you in sheep's clothing, but
    inwardly they are ravenous wolves." (Matt 7:15)
    Mocking or sneering at people is introduced as gentleness and
    courteousness, affection, familiarity, wittiness and an attempt at
    humour.
    He calls cunning, intelligence!

From Diabolic Wars? by H.H Pope Shenouda III
    http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Diabwars/index.html

Mike, His Holiness does not speak of jokes among friends..he speaks of those in bad situations disguised as 'humor'..His Holiness jokes around allll the time as you should know..he usually makes fun of us and well, it is funny..anba David also jokes like crazy..your interpretation might be a bit too literal. In Diabolic Wars, Pope Shenouda described the contempt that one holds for his brethren in disguise of 'jokes'..not the humor among brothers and sisters in Christ ;)
  • OH.. thanx for that post...

Do you know any examples of non sinful joking among friends? what are some things you think H.H would say which is not sinful?
  • Hmm..that's a bit difficult to answer but logically, something that has pure intentions solely for pure humor and not any hurt..
  • But sometimes your intentions can be good but its still bad I think.
  • what?..I don't get what you're trying to say quite honestly..I just explained that brotherly humor is not wrong as the whole world including His Holiness joke around with pure intentions ofcourse..
  • I would like to know an example of brotherly humor?
  • like making fun of a friend's feature or something... its just harmless play... and you cant have a good intention about something and its wrong, you wouldnt have a good intention about it if it was wrong.
  • If you make fun of a friends big nose then that person might think they are ugly?
  • Joking:

Jesus Christ and the Devil had a computer programming competition, when suddenly a power outage takes place. The Devil complained how all his work was lost. The referee declares Jesus the winner.
    The Devil asked how Jesus Christ's work was still oh His computer even after the power outage.

The referee responded: "Jesus Saves"

:)
  • Good joking is just playing around with you friends and having a good time. you shouldn't make fun of n e 1 cuz thats bad joking and no one finds it funny except for the people who told the joke. but rememebr, what goes around comes around.

~ Daughter of God
  • I don't think that making fun of a friend that much is right, because, although they may laugh, it may still hurt them on the inside(I speak through experience, although I may be guilty of it sometimes).
  • jokin is perfectly fine the holiest people are always the funiest ones and the monks laways make fun of me and others so i think its alright haha jsut my opinion lol
  • that is so true

the monks at our monastry here in sydney, they dont stop with jokes, theyre soo funny
    oh an our bishop, you should c him at our youth conferences lol- his hillarious