I have a problem

edited December 2005 in Personal Issues
I want to know if I should still use my old email address which was created because I liked watching wrestling.. it has the letters wwf in it .. one of the letters standing for (?) wrestling... Maybe I can still use it but make (?) it stand for something else now .. maybe something spiritual..

This post might be annoying to some.. but this is a real problem to me.
Some might just say ofcourse you can without thinking enough about it but I dont like those answers.. If it came to my mind.. do you think Gods Spirit personally wants me to get rid of it?

Anyway I hope I make sense.. I ask a lot of questions that bother me I think and I think I may not even ask them if I feel its going to take a lot of time just to make sure it makes perfect sense if thats possible.

Comments

• It depends..if it's just an email then it's not that big of a deal but if it brings back bad memories as well, then delete it..
  • Aside from TV wrestling being a sad excuse for a sport, why do you feel its a sin?
  • I think there are 3 reasons why someone in your position would want to change an old email address: 1) the content is inappropriate, 2) the email reminds you of a not-so-great past, or 3) you’ve grown out of it and want a new one. In your case, I am sure its not reason #1 and I don’t think its reason #3…I feel it is reason 2, right? Well, let’s assume it’s this reason. If it is in fact this reason, then I think you should change your email. But before I explain I’d like to make a point…

In your post it seemed like you had some spiritual revival since you’re thinking of changing your email to one that is more spiritual. And you obviously didn’t just wake up one day and think ‘I want my email address to become spiritual.’ So without a doubt, I think we can all agree that you had an experience that changed your perspective on life and you now want everything you do in life to be done for the Glory of God. Now, if it that is the case, that means you have repented and confessed and put on a new man (Colossians 3:10), correct?

Well…the truth is, your old and new self cannot go together. It is like saying I want to diet and lose 10 lbs but I’m going to have a chocolate bar/day. Well…you can diet in such a manner but it wouldn’t give you the results you wanted. This is much like your spiritual life. You cannot integrate your old, unclean and inappropriate values and decisions into your new life of righteousness. These CAN go together, but they will never give you spiritual benefits. Though wrestling isn’t something tremendously immoral, the bottom line is, if it is something that may have made you wander away from God (at one point), then by all means change your email.

Also I wanted to point out that your choice of words, your actions, and your interests ALL have give you an idea of what you value most. If you feel that wrestling reminds you of a past that is full of inappropriate values than change your email because you have a new set of priorities now and you can’t amalgamate 2 completely distinct values and morals into your life. Ephesians 4:20-24 nicely sums this up:

"But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness."

I hope I didn’t confuse you and sorry for the long post. I hope I helped, GB

NOP+
    Youstina S
  • Greetings MikeforJesus,

I also do not find it an annoying post. I had a similar situation; however, my e-mail was reflective of a business I was in that did not work out for me. I maintained the e-mail, but found a different meaning for the acronym that reminds me of my faith and what I should focus on in my life.

I agree with much of what was said here and I found youstina's post to be very articulate. If you do feel the need to change it, becuase you fear it will remind of an old life that takes you away from God and you fear the temptation, then by all means do so.

If, however, you would like suggestions on what else WWF could mean for you, let us know. I am sure many people here would offer some that you might find more meaningful to you.

One example: WWF - wonderful world faith.

God bless

emiles
  • It shouldn't matter what is your email or what letters are in it. The reason for your email is to recieve mail from ppl. I think you should substitute it for something else like what emilies said "Wonderful World Faith," No one will notice. I didn't even know wwf stood for wrestling until now. Don't worry about it. It's not like you still like wrestling. What matters is that your a true Christian and you believe in God and have a strong Faith. If it still truely bothers you then maybe you should get a new one so you don't have it bothering you forever. May God bless always. ;D

Always,
    Angel from Heaven
  • I have to agree with emiles!
  • Thankyou all who tried to help... I think Im still going to think about it..
    I might end up changing my email but I still want alot of my old contacts..
  • Do you think its okay to email your friends with bad email addresses? not like the ones which would seem very bad..

examples: people who call themselves prettychick, email address related to wrestling?

?????