Exception for priests?

I was just wondering...if for any reason abouna is ill, can he 'skip' praying the mass and have another priest replace him? Or is there a cardinal rule in priesthood that says priests must attend mass every week and cannot under any circumstances skip a liturgy service??

NOP+
Youstina S

Comments

• No...there is no rule for that...Priests don't have to attend if they are sick or whatever. In Egypt, where there are like 4 priests or more in our church...only two have to be present...other than that the rest can stay home.
  • the thing is...in my church, we have 5 priests and and a huge congregation and 4 masses on sunday which means each priest MUST pray a mass every week. So how is it that they can ever 'skip' when they're under so much pressure to pray the mass EVERY sunday?!

NOP+
    Youstina S
  • The priest can call someone else to fill for them...He doesn't need to go to masses all his life...A mass won't be done if there is no priest and since there are 4 masses...there could be 3 and everyone could attend...
    We only have one priest in our church and he gets sick sometimes...it's normal he is a human being...sometimes the mass is cancelled and sometimes he calls another abouna ahead of time...
  • hey, can a priest pray more than one mass in the same day then?
  • i dont see why not...
  • a priest, or even anyone cannot take communion more than once in one day so no a priest may not pray 2 liturgies in one day, and yes priests may skip. in my church, we have 4 but only 3 come because one is very old.
  • what about if a priest is like u said very old can't he pray parts of the liturgies or do the other priests just pray all of it and this old priest don't pray liturgies nemore till he depart?
  • what if there is only one priest in the church?
  • umm ususally i think there would eb a substitute that week...n by the way...if one of the priest are really old, he can pray a brief part n then can sit for the rest of the mass (most of it) while the other priest will finish it off..therefore he still has the blessings of that mass!!
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=board=4;threadid=2918;start=0#msg44687 date=1135186630]
    hey, can a priest pray more than one mass in the same day then?

no..he can't!
    and about ur question christ4life,if there is only one priest in the church which is us, we only have 1 liturgy..bec. abouna can't do more than 1 liturgy per day!

GBU
    sandra
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=4;threadid=2918;start=0#msg46762 date=1138814654]
    [quote author=mnc_hnn link=board=4;threadid=2918;start=0#msg44687 date=1135186630]
    hey, can a priest pray more than one mass in the same day then?

no..he can't!
    and about ur question christ4life,if there is only one priest in the church which is us, we only have 1 liturgy..bec. abouna can't do more than 1 liturgy per day!

GBU
    sandra

he CAN>>>he just has to have enought time to fast...just the same as the altar has to fast...so he can have a early mass...from 7-10 am and then have another mass from 10-12 pm....it has been done before...but i am not sure with the altar one!!
  • i asked abouna about that and he said no.... :-\
  • i wasnt asking if abouna can do more than one mass in one day, but what can he do if his health does not permit him to do that one mass..