Is there such a thing as a "sinful" sport?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I'm not talking about nude beach volleyball or Roman gladiator matches, lol. I'm thinking more along the lines of the more modern violent sports, like boxing, karate, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Muay Thai, etc.

Your thoughts!

Comments

• Hmm. This is a tough, good question. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with sports. They are just for entertainment and competition. Even boxing. I know you're beating the living day lights out of each other, but it's not because you hate your opponent and want to kill him, but that that is the sport, and to win, you must defeat him. Or football, or baseball, or any sport for that matter. I don't approve, however, of co-ed wrestling and co-ed cheerleading. They're just wrong somehow. I can't explain. lol.

Truly your names are glorified on earth: O Apostles, chosen by the Lord.
    - Chris
  • I would not think of them as "sinful" as this is a too big word to discribe such sports. They are just too violent. I think it is difficult to find a peaceful truely christian guy who would like to practice such sports. but they are sure not sinful. If u find yourself in such violent sports and feel that the help u discharge the energy inside u, and after the gmae is over, it IS REALLY OVER, with no hard feelings, wishing for vengence, or intention to hurt anyone next time, it is ok, go and play and enjoy your time.
  • I box, and I’m on the wrestling team. After any match I have I go and give my opponent a hug and tell them “nice match” regardless of who was the victor. I have no hate towards my opponent; we are simply playing our sport. So the nature of the sport has nothing to do with whether or not it’s a sin. Even basketball could be a sinful sport if you have hatred towards the person you’re playing against.

-Mark
  • That's true. It all depends on what you make of the game. If you make it your life, then you'll develop hatred to all those who beat you. If you play because you love what you do, you'll be happy with the outcome of the match reagrdless of who won.

sleepy
  • Banoub I agree… co-ed sports are definitely wrong. Aside from the fact that I could never fight with a girl the same way I do with a guy; it’s extremely inappropriate. In my case, with wrestling and boxing, they are high on the list of “contact sports” contact that shouldn’t be taking place between two people of the opposite sex. Even though the intentions are not the least bit sexually oriented; this simply should not be taking place.

Nobody is questioning the abilities of females. Despite being a rarity; there are indeed girls who are good enough to compete with males. Some even better… HOWEVER, there is no need for them to compete against men. Should I enter a beauty pageant with a bunch of women? Why the gender boundaries?! If I girl can enter an all male wrestling team, I should be allowed to enter an all female beauty pageant…

-Mark
  • OK, i need to edit my last comment. What I mean by making it your life is that it gets to a point where you can't stand anyone beating you. Music takes up a major portion of my life but I don't let it get to me if someone is better. That's what I meant in my last comment. Athletes make their sports a major portion of their life, but if they don't enjoy it, and do it merely for the glory, then that's when it gets too far. If they do it regardless of the outcome, then they truly are having fun, and doing what they like. Sorry for any confusion my last comment may have made.

sleepy
  • lol Mark. An interesting perspective. Believe it or not, there is a female, although most say she is in fact a man in disguise lol, who is on my school's wrestling team (which of course is all guys). When someone asked her why she joined, she said, "Rolling around with guys in tights is always a plus."
    Co-ed sports are wrong and inappropriate to say the least Mark. Except maybe co-ed badminton, or ping-pong. lol.

- Chris
  • It’s safe to say we can question the femininity of a girl who finds it natural to fight with guys; however that can be a whole new topic.

To stick to the matter at hand, there is nothing wrong with a co-ed sport as long as there isn’t contact involved. Ping pong and badminton, okay by me… wrestling and boxing, nope…

-Mark
  • Basically...

sleepy
  • i think cheerleading is wrong. i dont know why, i jsut dont like it and dont feel right towards it. :-\
  • I think Cheerleading is wrong too because you cause other people to:

1.fall into temptation
    2.think of you as an object
    3.you show lotsa "skin" sometimes

lol

Ok, God Bless, only a couple of hours till my ordination *shiver*

Defender
  • I don't think ALL cheerleading is wrong. Sometimes, it'a good thing to have.

sleepy
  • please explian sleepy
  • i agree..i don't find a thing wrong with cheerleadears..i encourage all the girls to become cheerlearders ;)

[sacasm guys...sarcasm...ha ha]
  • phew.....
    u scared me
  • I didn't realize that cheerleading is a sport, lol.

God bless!
  • I think the reason we think cheerleading is not a good "sport" is because of the way it was portrayed to us through mostly movies and sometimes-real life
    All we think of when somebody says cheerleading is girls in tiny tiny clothes going around doing all kind of stuff shacking you know what all over the place (sorry if I may seem to graphical here)
    but in fact if you look at pure cheerleading it is a very appropriate and athletic sport trust me all those back flips and jumps and all that are not easy and take a lot of practice and athleticism to do
    so i guess present day cheerleading is wrong but pure cheerleading is ok
    :)

• well i agree with wasim
    but if cheerleading today is like that and might lead ppl into temptation and sin then why do it.
    i mean if we know that this thing that we are doing might bring us into temptation then why take the chance and do it even if we dont mean any harm by it.
    it may not harm us but it may harm other ppl that are watching.
    also that brings up another question,
    then how about swimming
    is that bad or good
    ur not doing anything wrong but if someone is watching they might fall into temptation

someone explain plz
  • Clearly you haven’t been to a Knicks game. Indeed they are showing a great deal of athleticism with their flips. In addition, they are showing other things… things that shouldn’t be seen… we’ll leave it there.
  • [quote author=Mark423 link=board=1;threadid=356;start=15#msg4291 date=1087922699]
    Clearly you haven’t been to a Knicks. Indeed they are showing a great deal of athleticism with their flips. In addition, they are showing other things… things that shouldn’t be seen… we’ll leave it there.

I agree mark but it is there choice to show those other things why you may ask so they can bring attention and people to come watch. If just for the sake of cheering or athleticism i see nothing wrong with cheerleading
  • Fair enough. Now please, give me an example of any cheerleading team that works only on flips and jumps and doesn’t wear skimpy clothing… oh I think they have a name for those people, gymnasts.
  • my school's cheerleaders dont just do flips and stuff. and they diffentely dress revealingly.
  • Naah, I don't think cheerleading is a sport. Sure it requires a level of athleticism, but so does doing 1,000 jumping jacks. Yet I haven't heard anyone ever call jumping jacks a "sport". For an athletic activity to be a "sport" in the true sense of the word, there would have to be a set of rules governing the activity. So unless the Knicks' dance squad scores points for those flips and fancy steps, I don't think those girls are engaged in a "sport".

Of course if you're talking about competitive cheerleading, then you have a different story.

God bless!
  • as far as cheerleading goes... and if you've seen some of these ppl.... they do go far... it's pretty much a sin
    i dont think swimming is a sin because uhave the option to wear a two piece bathing suit, or a one piece
    if u wear a decent one piece... then great! i mean ur not really showing more than the average bathing suit does and no one should be tempted by that... but if u were a two piece... thats just a whole different story
    too much skin is never good
    cheerleading... not a sport
    competitive chearleading: yea... but i just dont c the need to wear ridiculously short skirts and tops that show half ur belly and sometimes reveal more than just ur neck area... when the outfits start to get that revealing... its no longer a sport to c whos really the better cheerleader... when it gets to that, the judges begin to score them based on wat they're wearing and how skimpy they get
    as for pure cheerleading... of all the games i've attended and watched on tv or in school... i have yet to witness 'pure cheerleading'
  • acutally i really doubt that pure cheerleading exists except if you count gymnasts as cheerleading as Mark has stated
  • "Pure" cheerleading does exist. Anyone who gets up in front of a crowd of fans in order to incite a collective cheer for their team is "cheerleading". Strictly speaking, you don't need to do any fancy splits or show people your panties do lead a cheer. ;)
  • lol. We can always count on NorthernCross to be blunt! :D
    I'm just kidding around NC. You add some spice to this website, lol.

Back to the exciting topic of cheerleading though...

God Bless,
    - Chris
  • [quote author=Wasim link=board=1;threadid=356;start=15#msg4344 date=1087938065]
    acutally i really doubt that pure cheerleading exists except if you count gymnasts as cheerleading as Mark has stated

Actually I wasn’t implying that cheerleaders are gymnasts. You misunderstood. What I was saying that if somebody was into cheerleading without wearing revealing clothing and merely for the athleticism as you previously stated then they could take part in gymnastics rather than have the negative label of a cheer leader…

There’s no such thing as “pure cheerleading” as you put it.
  • [quote author=NorthernCross link=board=1;threadid=356;start=15#msg4345 date=1087938772]
    "Pure" cheerleading does exist. Anyone who gets up in front of a crowd of fans in order to incite a collective cheer for their team is "cheerleading". Strictly speaking, you don't need to do any fancy splits or show people your panties do lead a cheer. ;)

Yea, I have to agree with that.

sleepy
  • ok got it THANKS for the clearing clear as a crystal