The western church and us ((pls replyyy))

VivViv
edited November 2005 in Youth Corner
Ok, I don't want to sound bias, but any copt who's left Egypt and moved to places like Canada and the USA must have noiticed that the christians in these countries don't live like christians should. For example, they think that we're over religious because we may read the bible everyday, or go to church 2 or 3 times a week. ((which is not alot in Egypt)) Their faith is substantialy less strong than ours. They know very little about their own religion, and they find us weird for our enthusiasm towards our church. I think this is because in Egypt we are facing the large Islamic population that discriminates against us, but they have nothing pressreing them like this.

But what bugs me the most is they can believe in aleins, and things that don't exist, yet when they hear about a mircal that happened, they can't belive that god would help us like that. ((you all heard about the farida miracle.)) What do you all think of that? I want lots of replies ^^ thanx ;D

Just to be clear, because this was misunderstood before, here i am not refering to egyptions outside egypt, I am refering to the everyday non-coptic people outside egypt. my catholic friends find it weird that i spend lots of time on church activities, is anyone in the same situation?

Comments

• we seem to have a problem here!!

but any copt who's left Egypt and moved to places like Canada and the USA must have noiticed that the christians in these countries don't live like christians should

i was just wondering WHO R CHRISTIANS??
    r not we all christians!!(thats mean by the way)

they think that we're over religious because we may read the bible everyday

u say that reading the bible everyday is only in egypt??
    na..i don't think so...and we don't ahve to judge in here!!

go to church 2 or 3 times a week

i wanna tell u something...when i was in egypt i used to go to church 2 or 3 times a month but when i came here i went to church like everyweek!!and once again we don't have to judge people by how many times they go to church!! ::)

They know very little about their own religion, and they find us weird for our enthusiasm towards our church

what r u talking about??
    we r all egyptians and we all believe in the same religion!!at least the people i know on this site!!

I think this is because in Egypt we are facing the large Islamic population that discriminates against us, but they have nothing pressreing them like this

i don't really get this!!!!!!!

But what bugs me the most is they can believe in aleins and ghosts

what do u mean by most of them?...talk about ur self if u do!!

and things that don't exist, yet

i don't think there is anything that doesn't exist yet!!!

they can't belive that god would help us like that

u r not serious r not u??!
    okay now since i am done quoting...lets have a little talk about this!!
    first of all we r all egyptians in here our parents are egyptians too and we have everything like egypt(if u lived in egypt before).
    and also i wanna say that we don't wanna judge others and let them feel bad about themselves..becasue believe or not some people get hurt alot because of some stuff u guys say!!
    i hope i don't sound mean in anything i said!!
    GBU

pray for me!
    sandra
  • i agree with sandrahanna in every thing she said. christianty is the same every whare. bisicly who ever believes that Jesus Christ is the son of God who came and saved us from the sin adam and eve and who beleives in the trinity, can be called a christian. but not all christians are the same. and in the USA, most of the christains are catholic. and they don't have anything of what you mentioned before.
    you are looking at the people's acts as christains but not from the riligion itself. ppl do sins ad do diffrent then what they sould be doing. but that shouldn't effect their religion.
  • We should always try to improve our moral standing. They may think of us as deeply religious, but in fact, we should be more religious.

We should always look to improve ourselves ethically despite what the world around us thinks.
  • improve what?
    egyptians in egypt r the same eveyrwhere!!
    GBU
    sandra
  • Improve ourselves. Theres always room for improvement.
    Not improve the Church! Improve our individual beings.

American society put a limit on how good you can be. But there is no limit, no matter how good you think Egyptians are; there is always room for improvement.

Egyptians are not perfect. Nor are they the most righteous.

But Egypt still rules!
  • i think i got it...thanks
    GBU
    sandra
  • hmmmm... to be honest i think alot of what viv says is correct. I mean a lot of christians in the west done appreciate freedom of religion as much as coptics do because it is taken for granted. The only think i didnt agree with viv is what she said about ghosts not existing :S! I mean everyone knows that ghost exists they are the spirit of dead people. For example saint abounab appeared in a church in sydney so that was the ghost of saint abounab! The last point is that sandra said egyptians in egypt are the same everywhere. I personally dont think that is correct! From my experience coptics in australia are often stingy, elitists, and have a holier-than-though attitude. Whereas coptics in egypt are so so generous, humble, down-to-earth simple people. Honestly egyptians out of egypt often put to shame real egyptians in egypt. I mean please no-one get offended by what i have said, and in fact im certain that some of you will agree. Anyway thats all what i think anyway :D
  • no sorry matt but faith is not measured of freedom or not!!!

i atually think quite the oppsoite!!!!!!!!

ok viv...have u actually seen the people outside?????

ok i have seen both..n when i was in egypt for my month..i went to the church once!!!!!!!!

but here in australia, church is my home!!!!!

ok befor i start to judge i will say this..the only thing people outside of egypt might change in is clothing........
  • Dear Sandrahanna

I am not speaking about coptic christians in other countries, I am only refering to the fact that the catholics in Canada and USA look at us in a way that says, "stop spending so much time on religion. it makes u not cool." and i completley disagree with what this says to us.

As for your question about people outside, I live outside. My school friends always find it stupid how i spend most of my time doing church activities ((they are catholics by the way))I only wondered whether other people "fel moharah" got the same thing. Your reply focuses only on coptic christians.
  • [quote author=Viv link=board=13;threadid=2774;start=0#msg42816 date=1132423285]
    Dear Sandrahanna

I am not speaking about coptic christians in other countries, I am only refering to the fact that the catholics in Canada and USA look at us in a way that says, "stop spending so much time on religion. it makes u not cool." and i completley disagree with what this says to us.

As for your question about people outside, I live outside. My school friends always find it stupid how i spend most of my time doing church activities ((they are catholics by the way))I only wondered whether other people "fel moharah" got the same thing. Your reply focuses only on coptic christians.

Dear Viv,
    All I have to say is you shouldn't listen to what other people say, what you believe is what you believe, and what they believe is what they believe, most Americans or even other people around the world, maybe say that we spend most of our time at church, or doing something that involves praying, like masses (in other words odasses in arabic) or liturgy or eshia, but we don't really need to listen to what they think, they might say this is dumb or we might say that about there religion, I mean everybody maybe going through this everyday of there life, whether it is someone making fun of their religion or we making fun of there religion!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=13;threadid=2774;start=0#msg42818 date=1132424882]
    [quote author=Viv link=board=13;threadid=2774;start=0#msg42816 date=1132423285]
    Dear Sandrahanna

Dear Viv,
    All I have to say is you shouldn't listen to what other people say, what you believe is what you believe, and what they believe is what they believe, most Americans or even other people around the world, maybe say that we spend most of our time at church, or doing something that involves praying, like masses (in other words odasses in arabic) or liturgy or eshia, but we don't really need to listen to what they think, they might say this is dumb or we might say that about there religion, I mean everybody maybe going through this everyday of there life, whether it is someone making fun of their religion or we making fun of there religion!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

Thanx coptic_servent, thats a really meaningful thing to say! :D
  • [quote author=Viv link=board=13;threadid=2774;start=0#msg42819 date=1132425077]
    [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=13;threadid=2774;start=0#msg42818 date=1132424882]
    [quote author=Viv link=board=13;threadid=2774;start=0#msg42816 date=1132423285]
    Dear Sandrahanna

Dear Viv,

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

Thanx coptic_servent, thats a really meaningful thing to say! :D

That is very very appreciated, Thank you for those kind words!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent