GOD to me is

whywhy
edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
hey!

i am launching this poll to see the result....i think it would be very interesting really !!

personally i dont know if GOD should be mainly treated as a best friend or give him the respect of a father (not implying that i give my father that much respect) but hope you can join in

Comments

• To answer your question about whether God should be like your best friend or your father...like you tell your best friend everything, you should be that open with God (not that he's waiting for you to tell him anything). He should be greatly respected also, he is God afterall, like you dont say hey God wats up...lol....no you treat him with as much respect as possible, but you also treat him with as much love and honesty as possible.
  • Wow, God is my bestest bestest trusted friend, God to me means:
    -Trustful
    -Inner-strength
    -Secretive
    -Peaceful
    -The only one that won't turn you down anytime
    -Honest
    **Great topic btw**

Forever,
    coptic Servent
  • **Great topic btw**

**yea i agree*

i think u should've put 'my life'?
  • i think u should've put 'my life'?

i agree, and i didnt pick anything because none of them include my opinion... we actually had to write a paper about this for church... God is the one person you can turn to in times of need, he is the ONE thing in our lives that is always guaranteed, ALWAYS... he is the one that always looks out for us and always does whats best for us... god is my heart and my soul, he is the one that gives me that feeling of eternal peace inside...
  • that was the best description ive ever heard all my life...
  • well GOD IS
    lol he doesnt need descriptions because none will do him justice. lol he simply is. the alpha and the omega. once we get to truly know him we will feel it ;D
  • sorry if i didnt put good options.....

n thanx...it was just in my coptic skool we were talking about OUR LIFE n what it means to me.....n as usuall every1 said God and going to heaven .....but i wanted to see the reverse n if it had the same effect....what does GOD mean to me n silly me i forgot to put LIFE....

anyway...i would like many to cast their vote....its not hard....please envourage other people also to cast their vote n message me if they have anyother views about GOD!!

Tadpole
    marina
  • [move]:D[/move]

sorry if i didnt put good options.....

no no u did a Great job coz u opened a BIG topic and i mean BIG!!

;)

[move]GBU all! :)[/move]
  • sorry but whoever voted that God is a spirit....if u dont mind discussing with me why you chose SPIRIT????

any1 have any idea???? :-\
  • emmm dunno?
  • oh wow, someone voted spirit?

i would really like to know why...
  • can there be a choice that says all the above??
    and more!!i voted for love because "god is love"
    and also he is avavrything!!!
    don't u guys agree?
  • Dear All,

This my first time to contribute in this forum. I really like this question: Who is God to me? . However, I don't like the quick answers. We have to be very honest when answering this question coz it is the first step to start off the journey. And may be it will take us all our life to answer it. Remember that saying good things about God like: God is love, God is everything, extra... will not add or reduce from God. I admit that they are fact, but do I feel these facts? Or I am just repeating some clauses that I used to hear in sermons, or may be it is a verse in the bible that I like.

One more thing I wanted to mention: when Jesus asked his disciples : "But who do you say that I am?" (Luke 9:20), Peter answered:"The Christ of God." Noone else answered; even John didn't answer. It was only Peter who had the answer. I do admire all of the disciples' silence; they were honest!!! But this was their first step on the right way.

I don't mean to criticize anyone; I just wanted to post my opinion.

God bless you all!
  • Dear Miena,
    Welcome first of all, it is great to know that the tasbeha.org member list is growing with the help of our Lord, second of all I agree that we need to take our time in answering the question, but we do answer honestly if I'm not mistaken, but what I see is that the members have many and I believe many words to describe our Lord, third of all we all have different opinions and options, everybody has something different to add to something else, I believe the skill comes from the Holy Bible, fourth of all, I believe the silence probably was the same answer as what Peter had said!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Peter? Peter who? I think the only ones that replied are me, mnc_hnn, MarMar91, Epnomos En Taio, why, yourself, and miena.
  • [quote author=miena link=board=10;threadid=2630;start=0#msg40872 date=1129927244]

One more thing I wanted to mention: when Jesus asked his disciples : "But who do you say that I am?" (Luke 9:20), Peter answered:"The Christ of God." Noone else answered; even John didn't answer. It was only Peter who had the answer. I do admire all of the disciples' silence; they were honest!!! But this was their first step on the right way.

I don't mean to criticize anyone; I just wanted to post my opinion.

God bless you all!

Christ4Life, I think you might want to read this!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • oh... lol I though you meant somebody that posted...
  • No no, I meant what Miena said!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Look my dear friends....

In the Gospel of St. John (I think) is a very small yet VERY powerful verse..."God is love." So in a way, the question is already answered in the Bible... ;D lol....

However, it's a big topic because the word LOVE is huge...HUGE...it's one of the most powerful words in this univere...and maybe even more....remember, also from Saint John:

"Hakatha A7ab Allah al 3alem 7ata bathal Ibnahoo al wa7eed..."

(Somebody please translate this verse...)

Our problem is that we really don't know what love means...even if we try, we find ourselves not able too....remember St. Augustine in his book "The Confessions"? That's what I mean....

Until we know what love truly means....we'll know who God truly is....that'll take eternity...but that's doesn't stop us from trying...as a matter of fact, that' the POINT of our church and her sacrememnts....takes us closer to him so we can love Him more...right?

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • [quote author=rf_zachari link=board=10;threadid=2630;start=15#msg40890 date=1129965289]
    Look my dear friends....

In the Gospel of St. John (I think) is a very small yet VERY powerful verse..."God is love." So in a way, the question is already answered in the Bible... ;D lol....

However, it's a big topic because the word LOVE is huge...HUGE...it's one of the most powerful words in this univere...and maybe even more....remember, also from Saint John:

"Hakatha A7ab Allah al 3alem 7ata bathal Ibnahoo al wa7eed..."

(Somebody please translate this verse...)

Our problem is that we really don't know what love means...even if we try, we find ourselves not able too....remember St. Augustine in his book "The Confessions"? That's what I mean....

Until we know what love truly means....we'll know who God truly is....that'll take eternity...but that's doesn't stop us from trying...as a matter of fact, that' the POINT of our church and her sacrememnts....takes us closer to him so we can love Him more...right?

In HIS Name,

RFZ

Dear rf_zachari,
    The word Love has a very powerful rule over us, if I'm not mistaken, it teaches us the value and the price of the word, we use it all the time, like if someone asked you, what do you love the most? the other one replies I love God, see both of them answered usually as you said, "the most powerful word in the universe" of course it has a meaning, but what does it really mean? no one knows the true meaning. Different people have different meanings http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=love maybe you would like to check one of these sources, but this phrase "God Is Love" God truely is the most loved person in the world! Either if it's through someone, God made that person, We should all be grateful and satisfied, that we live in this world, by our Savior Jesus Christ, "Until we know what love truly means....we'll know who God truly is....that'll take eternity...but that's doesn't stop us from trying...as a matter of fact, that' the POINT of our church and her sacrememnts....takes us closer to him so we can love Him more...right?" yes that is true, from what the church says from reading the Bible to reading the Agpeya, to reading the liturgy book, and memorizing verses, and following the 10 commandments, and so on, yes she does help us to become closer to God, I truely believe God Is Love, is such a POWERFUL phrase, and I think that phrase that you have said I think isn't that in the liturgy? well, anyways that's all I got to say!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • "Coptic Servant"

No...this phrase is in the Bible...I can't remeber where except it's in St. John's gospel...

Ya u're right...we might say the word love 10,000 times...and maybe even use it in a lustful way...but, if by God's grace, we, in our "khelwa", just STOP and think what love truly is, we'll find it as mysterious and as infinite as God...because God is love...

That's why, if we TRULY (may God help us :)) stick to that meaning when marrying or choosing a friend or so forth...we'll be MUCH better off...not only socially but spiritually....and be able to go to HIM in the end....

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • Dear rf_zachari,
    Yes, you are right, and that is the truth, we all need to just stop for a sec, and just think about it, "what does that word really mean" I mean you really need to take your time into expressing and showing how you feel sometimes, like if you got into an arguement with your siblings, I mean don't you LOVE them as you say, well I truely believe, that love or showing affection toward a sibling that you really care about, or a friend that you really care about, or a cousin that you really care about, or a relative that you care about, and so on!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • u're right...

as one of the fathers (but I don't remember who, said):

"The source of any true love in the world is the person's love to God..."

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • Concerning this quote "Hakatha A7ab Allah al 3alem 7ata bathal Ibnahoo al wa7eed..."
    I belive that is the verse, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, for whom shall ever believe in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

I completely agree with you rf_zachari, God definitely is love, and love is God. We can never describe love, because you can never describe God.
  • "Christ4Life"

Thanks...that's it...sorry...I need a complete overhaul when it comes to English in Christianity...

Oh and you put urself in a paradox:

"We can never describe love, because you can never describe love. "

loooooool ;D wake up will ya? Kidding...thanks everyone...and praaaaaaaay that we all go into the depths of God's love...

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • lol... sry...school is affecting my mind...
  • hi guys , thanx for all your opinions but to tell the truth.......

i was least expecting every1 to vote for love but that he is my friend becasue (listen to this) i aksed WHAT IS GOD TO YOU and that love was what GOD is and not to you (tell me if u dont understand)

however on that note i dont think that any1 should pick (maybe im a little bias) love becasue even though the bible says it, we have not yet felt his love (well most of us unless we are saints) and so GOD to you cannot be love but more of a FRIEND maybe or FATHER but LOVE is probably the biggest word ever to use n say that to YOU he is love.......i dont think that was probably the best answer

(sorry if i didnt put good options n if i made any1 upset on what i said ...i mean it with love)

thanx once angain 4 ur replies

tadpole
    marina
  • Marina, we have ALL felt God's love. Have you ever felt his mercy? Its the same thing. Because he loves you, he has mercy on you. And we have all felt his mercy, every single day, whether you realize or not.

May God be with us all
  • yea u r rit christ4life :)
  • Besides...is the Bible, or the whole Church for that matter, for saints only? No...it's for the poor people like me and you who struggle against their temptations to reach HIM...so when the Bible says "God is Love" the meaning is that we ALL should have a glimmer of that and try to reach that....we'll never reach the end, but so what? It's so wonderful and loving u'll never want to!! (May God all give us grace through our gehad to reach that state :) )

Read this verse from the first letter of St.John, fourth chapter (not an exact tranlsation:( )

"We love God because he loved us FIRST..." That's the whole point...

In HIS Name,

RFZ