Divorce

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Well. i always see so many people getting divorced and i think its bad for some reason. like in a wedding they say and u shall be united and become one and nothing should break u apart. so please guys gimme ur ideas. thanks

MonSTER

[move][glow=red,2,300]GOD BLESS[/glow][/move]

Comments

• I think the only case you can get divorced is if your spouse is promoting sexual immorality ..

Matt. 5:32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

And this is because when you are married as CopticChica21 said you are united and become one. But when you divorce, you become split, and then you are not 1 in Christ, but you are now two! and when you remarry after divorce then there is someone getting between you and your spouse, so then what are you, 3 seperate persons now, instead of 1 united with Christ. I kind of paraphrased it a little bit i heard that from an abouna.. feel free to correct..

GBU all!!

laura
  • Concerning the Unmarried

2Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her husband.3Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her.4The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.5Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.6But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment.7For I myself that all men were even as I myself.8-9 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is betterto marry than to burn with passion.10Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.11But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. (1 Corinthians 7:2-11)
  • thats awesome guys keep writing and thanks for the sexual immortality thing... i completely respect that. and i completely respect the fact that u all took the time for this topic. but there is another question. what if ur husban/ wife leaves withouht u knowing. ask the abounas u know for me.
  • ok about divorce, you cant do it. when you marry, you become one in the HS. You [glow=red,2,300]cannot[/glow] separate that whatsoever "For what God brings together, let not man separate. If you divorce and you remarry, you're basically comitting adultry because you're marrying somebody you're not one in the Spirit with. I know its confusing and I make no sense, but I tried all I can.
  • and plus if u do wont u think about the child u have thats if u do have one he will become hopeless cause he will have only a half of a heart loving and caring about him and eventualy he will be come like them american kids who dont have a dad or mom we should keep our rituals cause we are coptic orthodox now the pope said unless theres a big big big big big proplem u shoulddnt divorce
  • ok one of my mom's friends got divorced and her husband needs to be put in an asylum. he once left his little boy (4 yrs old), in the Church by himself for no apparent reason. He once left both his daughter on top of the closet crying in their appartment and left her ALONE. He once even threatened her with knife, so that marriage had to end, one way or another. He even wanted her to divorce him so that he could remarry, but she refused until he was the one who divorced. I just used that as a true life example... :-\
  • very sadd :-[ may thats why the make people get engaged before they get married by a yr or two so they could know each other very well
  • Actually he was pretty good the first 6-7 yrs of the marriage...
  • weird but why would he do that after a long period of time
  • maybe the wife had to do something with it or she was completely innocent????. ???
  • ??? ??? God alone knows why ??? ???
  • well thats sad hope she gets a good life afterwrds and god may forgive that guy for abandoning his kids
  • she had nothing to do with most of it, but she came to a point where it was just too much for her...

By the way, the mother now supports both children and is hardly getting by, so when she took the father to court (for money to raise his kids, he wont even pay...
  • omg he should get hanged i mean i would never do that to my kids like comon man dont he have feelings

see thats a result when you get away from GOD
  • Divorce is completely out of the question except for certain things, and one of them is sexual immorality. I heard a sermon before from a bishop who talked about this and explained it concisely. I don't know if it's online though.

sleepy
  • let aside the story of that guy and back to your question..what if your husband/wife leaves without you knowing?...what i think if your partner leaves you for years or foreven you just don't know where is s/he at, no matter what. you are still married to this partner. I know that the law announces this person as dead after a few years of disappearance, so i guess you can remarry in that case. but i don't know what the church says about it, so i guess you need to ask in the church to get a good answer on that one. and i will ask too and if i get an answer i will post it as soon as possible.
    but that's a very good topic and we need to pray to reduce the amount of divorce cases in our church.
    GOD Bless you.
  • The church doesn't abide by civil laws...the person is still alive until the church prays over him/her...but nevertheless I'm waiting for a formal answer....

Nice topic...

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • I'm waiting for a reply on the question of leaving without knownig the whereabouts of that spouse....what'll the church do in this case....what did Her Fathers teach her? I honestly don't know....

In HIS Name,

RFZ
  • There actually is another exception:
    If the spouse changes religion (i.e. converts to Islam).

Remember marriage is a union of Man, Woman, and God. If one member denies God, then there no longer is a union.
  • guys i know u will disagree but here i go...........

unless ur v young i think the whole divorce is not encouraged even if he does promote sexual immortality....i think they should seperate...........n thats all

here is my bak up....

1. keep the girl/guy away from anythoughts of intimate relationships with certain people...

2. as i said unless ur young there is no reasonfor u to get a divorce.....

3. 3 keep ur options open for ur children...what i mean by that is that if u have children with ur second husband, they cannot any priest /deaconess/ monk in the church so if ur child really wants to be a monk.....he will be prevented of that so it is betta not to put him through that.....anyway ur old starting a new life is not as important as if ur in ur 20's or 30's...

as st paul said....it is better to get married if it stops you from having passion/flame in ur heart.......

• So basically, you can't gat divorced in our church except for sexual immorality ok, but what if the two people can't stand each other. They can't stay in the same room for more than five minutes before breaking out into a fight, and it's not a new thing either, it's been like a snowball relationship that keeps getting worse. Like what if one of them downright hates the other (for example the husband hates the wife.) What do you do? If divorce is out of the question how can you resolve this.
    Just as some backround info, the husband works all the time and basically it's a valid excuse not to go to church, but even on the rare occasions that he does go, like on Christmas, he comes late and leaves early. The wife on the other hand loves church, it's the only fun in her life, she's a very religious person. And finally, they have three kids, two smaller ones under 12, and a teen. The teen, is used to it by now, and he prays for a solution, but every moment of peace that is given is like another calm before the storm. Worse, is that now, the fighting's getting so bad that even the little children are noticing and the teen doesn't want his siblings growing up in an envirnment like that. Finally, (sorry for the long response but,) the mother/wife is getting sicker by the day, she has asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, and just underwent a major surgery (about 1 year ago.)

If Divorve is out of the question, what do they do?
  • In response to u Luke90...why did they even got married if they hate each other. Yes...still divorce is out of the question...unless the husband/ wife is cheating. For the wife, that's her cross to bear and she can't really do anything about it, exept for praying. Children in the situation should also pray for the sake of the husband...so he can return back to church and be closer to God. Divorce is OUT OF THE QUESTION....
  • i know :'( :'(, its so sad, my heart goes out to her....

and yea, you definitely have to know the person you marry before you marry them...

why doesnt the family talk to abouna? at least the wife, if the husband refuses....
  • The thing of it is that, the husband is a great actor when it comes to the outisde world, he makes himself seem blameless and puts all of the wrongs on the wife. That's what's basically happened to them when they saw abouna, and then even a bishop. And to the question of why they even got married in the first place, I don't know. Also, saying that it's the wife's cross to bear I think is a little harsh because aren't crosses supposed to be tribulaions that try and seperate the person from God? What do you guys think?
  • Ok, so since the husband tries to act innocent in front of abouna, why doesnt the wife go and tell abouna alone?
  • I suppose she's afraid of the consequences or even if abouna will even believe her and even if he did what would the husband do... leave the house and kids, totally drop all prefaces and outright show hatred, no, I'm pretty sure the wife doesn't want anything like that to happen, not until the kids are allright.
  • wow, this is a horrible problem...

i'll pray for her...
  • That's when prayer comes in before and after marriage, if she would have prayed before marriage, maybe GOD would have shown her the right way (either to accept or refuse him), let's say that happened and she accepeted him, so it was GOD'S choice, GOD NEVER choses anything bad for us. so he might end up being the most perfect guy that she would have ever met, if not now, maybe later one, she needs to keep praying along with her kids. May be she didn't pray about it in the first place, now that's her cross to bear, she still have the time to pray and GOD will find a solution for her. people in our church bear crosses just like our Lord Jesus Christ when he bore his own cross on his shoulders, that's our narrow gate to go through. and believe me her cross is nothing compared to others'. Praying is the only solution to get her out of this. NOT DIVORCE. DON'T LET SATAN GIVE YOU THE SOLUTION.
    Sorry that might have been a little harsh but our church was so clear on that topic. No Divorce excpet for one reason (which everybody knows already).
    God bless you all and keep praying.
  • Not only are you united in one flesh with your spouse, but with God Himself. Holy matrimony is a unity of three persons, you, your spouse, and The Lord.
  • that's exactly right and if you are getting divorced, you are not only taking that earthly person out of your life (which should not happen), but also you are taking GOD out of your life (which is absolutely not good).