Smoking, Drugs, Suicide??

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
For those people that smoke, for each breath they take they loose a day of their lives, is that considered suicide???
And for those that do drugs, is it also considered suicide?

Comments

• but doesn't it all in the end lead to death?
  • What’s up with smoking and doing drugs threads... look you are taking your life slowly... but, if that is the case then walking outside is a sin, for there is pollution, that cuts your life span... and if you don’t work out... you are committing suicide... lol... c'mon.... there is a difference between suicide, and taking away your life by not being healthy.
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=1;threadid=2389;start=0#msg36708 date=1125578352]
    What’s up with smoking and doing drugs threads... look you are taking your life slowly... but, if that is the case then walking outside is a sin, for there is pollution, that cuts your life span... and if you don’t work out... you are committing suicide... lol... c'mon.... there is a difference between suicide, and taking away your life by not being healthy.

It's just that the other thread got me thinking to this question. But we can't conrol pollution, but you can control smoking and doing drugs...
  • Suicide is the taking of one's own life. We do not have the right to take our own lives, since life is a gift from God. The Church considers direct suicide, when a person destroys their life with their own hand, to be the most serious kind of murder, because there is no opportunity for repentance.

There is also the case of indirect suicide, in which people harm their health through excessive smoking, excessive drinking of alcoholic beverages, and unnecessary risk-taking. The Orthodox Church teaches that we are obligated to care for our health, so these kinds of practices in fact are looked upon as immoral. However, they do not carry the same negative implications which the direct taking of one's own life has.

The use of drugs for any purpose other than the restoration of health or the help of pain, when properly prescribed by a physician, is condemned.
    Excessive drinking and smoking is a kind of indirect suicide, and so is morally wrong.
  • 1 solution to the question: WHY WOULD YOU DESTROY THE BODY THAT OUR LORD GAVE US!
  • good question..i like it!!like that we will distry the holy spirit inside us!!
  • omg i think that is like suicide. why would u wanna kill urself. its like so dumb!
  • thats my question, is it considered literal suicide?
  • so either way in the end the result is one; you will be condemned... so it really doesnt make a difference.
  • Well I recenty went through suicide, alcohol problems depression u name it and it isn't as easy as some ppl think, u do thing without even thinking about it u go into these phases and u can't stop
  • [quote author=innerbeauty__ link=board=1;threadid=2389;start=0#msg37091 date=1125721548]
    Well I recenty went through suicide, alcohol problems depression u name it and it isn't as easy as some ppl think, u do thing without even thinking about it u go into these phases and u can't stop

again ill say this:

The alcoholic will probably get drunk when he drinks, so the Christian who is an alcoholic and wants to stay in God’s will must make sure he never takes another drink. Say no to your emotions and yes to communion with God during these times where your not sure.

Try to keep from making any major decision when ur depressed. I’ve learned that life looks a great deal more bleak when your depressed. Therefore, any decision I make during this time is bound to be colored by a false sense of what’s going on in my life.

You have the power, in Christ, to do what God wills.
  • [quote author=innerbeauty__ link=board=1;threadid=2389;start=0#msg37091 date=1125721548]
    Well I recenty went through suicide, alcohol problems depression u name it and it isn't as easy as some ppl think, u do thing without even thinking about it u go into these phases and u can't stop

I agree with you on that one...I didn't go through the alcohol problems or the smorking and all that....but I did went through depression...and yes u tend to say stuff and do stuff that really aren't u at all...
    I know of some people who went through the same face of depression and such...and the outcomes of that weren't very good...so ya people think those who do it...are just happy people who wanna be cool...well if they are happy why would they want to destroy the happiness...so it's definetly something that comes as a result of depression...and a trial to escape the reality of life...but it ends up destroying ur life but not changing it's reality.

its great that you mention that... for I too went through such stages... and people say you have control... no not even close... all you wanna do is num up the pain... which works may I add... get drunk when all fails... I know its not Christian behavior, but when you go through pain, by the pain I mean the pain of depression, or just the pain of sadness and anger... or whatever... all you want to do is get rid of it... even if its only for a few hours... so you can get addicted to things without knowing... in a moment of carelessness.