GHOSTS

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How is our (coptic orthodox) view of Ghosts and spirits? DO we believe in them?

Comments

• mina...we believe in the holy ghost not like the "boo" ones...that's what halloween is for
  • our church believe in holy spirit not in ghosts!! ;D
  • sandra it can be said holy ghost or holy spirit
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=2382;start=0#msg36589 date=1125511393]
    sandra it can be said holy ghost or holy spirit

holy ghost????i never heard of that word before i mean it has no meaning..holy ghost?
  • yes it does have meaning a lot of coptic christians don't use it though they perfer to say holy spirit, it has the same meaning as holy spirit, it just used differently
  • have you ever heard of that word before!!
  • me...yes I have!
  • it sounds wierd...holy ghosts?
  • holy ghost only catholics use that sorry about the confusion and the inconvience
  • yeah i heard some english churches' ppl write it as 'the holy ghost' but i've never used it and i don't think i'll need 2 use it!!! ??? ???
  • I have actually heard of the word holy ghosts before.. its very old holy spirit is the modern word for it, mostly catholics use it but some of the old books in our orthodox church contain that phrase as well... but overall, we do bvelieve in eveil spirits that they exist, because they do, and they have entered into people before, it is literally thedevil in your body, one time in the monastery in egypt i went on vaacation and there was this lady forced into church screaming and yelling etc. and abouna prayed on her put up the isgn of the cross and sparyed water on her and she collapsed and it was said that the evil spirit escaped her.. it was an amazing exp[erinece if i would have heard it i wouldnt have picturd it they way it happened.. but we dont believe in those white things with black holes that pop out of no where in the dark =]

Take care everyone -sandra
  • i've heard the word holy ghost be4, but that just freaks me out so i say holy spirit... they do exist, but of course nothing can overpower God...
  • No i no about the Holy Ghost(Holy Spirit) , i am just wondering about like hunted houses or ppl that see ghosts in houses and stuff like that...

and is seeing saints counts as seeing ghosts??

• i dont know about hauted houses and things like that but when you see a saint they are NOT ghosts...
  • ofcourse not saints are not ghosts!! :-X
  • but, when u see St mina or Pope Cyril.. what do u accually c, spirits? rn't spirits = to Ghosts?
  • ofcours not...thats a spirite of a saint...but about a holy ghost i never heard of that word before!!
  • whats the diffrence between holy spirt or holy ghost and spirits of people like saints
  • yeah that's a good point cuz spirit=ghost, by the way Catholics say holy ghost
  • and we aren't catholic so we say holy spirit and we have our own faith and catholic have there is no need tomix them together!
  • Your question depends on what you consider a ghost.
  • what a ghost is a ghsot...
  • i find it amusing that 2 pages later u guys are still disscussing what holy ghost means! it means exactly the same as holy spirit.
    i think that ghosts are what we think of as demons or devils.
    i think that someone raised a good question, when saints apear to people, what do u call that?
    because ghost in the conventional way means the apearance of a dead person.
  • its very confussing... what do u accually see ? :o
  • [quote author=dolphinz_smile link=board=1;threadid=2382;start=15#msg37951 date=1126122074]
    i find it amusing that 2 pages later u guys are still disscussing what holy ghost means! it means exactly the same as holy spirit.
    i think that ghosts are what we think of as demons or devils.
    i think that someone raised a good question, when saints apear to people, what do u call that?
    because ghost in the conventional way means the apearance of a dead person.

Thank you! Some one gave me an answer to cooperate with. Ok, you consider a ghost to be EXACTLY a spirit or soul, that yes, we do see ghosts. If you think of them as demons or devils than NO, definititely not!!
  • lol this is a very amusing discussion but im just going to go straight to the point and try answering the original question....
    In short, the Church does not believe in ghosts. The devil may plant the suggestion in a person’s mind that he sees things or people that aren’t there. Many of us have creative, and sometimes, destructive and dangerous imaginations. I have heard many stories of people convinced they have seen ghosts or spirits. To the best of my knowledge, none of them had anything to do with God. They were the result of overactive imaginations and fears, which can only be the work of the devil.

This is not to say that there are not lactual visions that God presents to a few. If we look back at the time of our Lord’s death, as accounted in the Gospel according to St. Matthew, we are told that

“the graves were opened; and many bodies of the Saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after (Jesus’) resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many” (Matthew 27:52-53).

This happened so that the glory of God might be made known. So ask yourself when you think about such things as ghosts, does it offer glory to God? If you can answer yes, then you know it is real. That is all we truly need to know. ;)

• oh my..........thats really confusing!!
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=1;threadid=2382;start=15#msg38000 date=1126192367]
    oh my..........thats really confusing!!

VERY TRUE!! ??? ???
  • cn someone please explain that again??