What exactly is sin not leading to death.. aren't all sins leading to death??

edited September 2005 in Faith Issues
Matthew 18:15-17
16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

a little help here?

Comments

• i really don't know if there is any sin that isn't leading to death!thats scary!
  • My only guess is that's a metaphor for something. We need help from Iqbal on this one....
  • I think that there are sins that people can commit which God takes seriously enough so as to end their lives. An example of this is of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5:1-10 who lied to the Holy Spirit. God judged them for this and both were killed.

"But a certain man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, 2 and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife’s full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit...5 And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came upon all who heard of it . . .7 Now there elapsed an interval of about three hours, and his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter responded to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for such and such a price?” And she said, “Yes, that was the price.” 9 Then Peter said to her, “Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they shall carry you out as well.” 10 And she fell immediately at his feet, and breathed her last," (Acts 5:1-3,5,7-10).

Some believe that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a sin that leads to death.

OR

Sin that does not lead to death. Sin that does not lead to death is sin we repent of! John has already written, back in chapter one: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness," (1 Jno. 1:9). So sin that does not lead to death is sin we confess and sins we forsake and ask God to forgive. When we see a brother commit a sin not unto death (the guilty one repents), our response should be, ask God to give that brother life.

"Sin unto death" would obviously be sin we see that the guilty brother continues in; does not repent of! John says, "I do not say that you should pray about that." Why? Because God will not give life to one who continues in sin.
  • Thank you arabianeyes, that was a really good reply. :)
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=1;threadid=2356;start=0#msg36295 date=1125334151]
    Thank you arabianeyes, that was a really good reply. :)

lol thankyou very much...so far i am really enjoying my time here....its nice having discussions with friends of the same faith...by the way my real name is Mariaa just in case anyone finds it awkward to to call me arabianeyes all the time .....thanx again for such a warm welcome... ;)
  • Hi maria, welcome to tasbeha.org and that is wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your time here!
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=1;threadid=2356;start=0#msg36312 date=1125343502]
    Hi maria, welcome to tasbeha.org and that is wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your time here!

I am very much enjoying it here....the members so far have been so sweet and I really cant wait to meet everyone....and participate in more great discussions...thankyou for the nice welcome...
  • you are very welcome
  • Welcome Maria, glad you decided to post. You seem like a very intelligent person, we could use a lot from your posts... :)
  • thankyou so much everybody.....im going to participate as much as possible for me and no im definetly not that smart.....first off i am probably the worst speller you'll ever meet....lol.. if u dont mind that then hopefully you all will be able to stand me then.....so far im already falling in love with this place and everyboody with it....you all are so sweet....i dont even feel like a newbie anymore :)...thankyou......(now where's that blushing smiley.....oh well...) ;D