What exactly happens when you die?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
i heard that when you die that your soul stays on the earth for three days to show up in drems to other and tell them "evrything will be ok" (since your dead ) then ure sould goes to this place where there is only temptation to show the strength in ure belif in God then u get judged. is that true.

-Nader

(im not totally sure but i think the Pope said this)

Comments

• ive never heard that before
    but i jus thought that ur soul is taken 2 heaven an u wait in heaven until the final judgment comes
  • Ive never heard that three day stuff either.

When u die ur soul seperated from ur body and is taken to the waiting places (hades or paradise), until the second coming of the Lord. After that our soul reunites with our bodies (general resurrection of the dead) and we ar judged and sent to heaven or hell.

There is also this pretty famous tape...it talks about the vision that a monk had and wrote down before he dies.
  • There are so many believes that I dont know which one is real. The only thing I know is that Lord Jesus, on the cross, told the repented thief: "Today you will be in Heaven with me!".

Stefan
  • Would that be why they pray on the third day after someone dies...or why do they pray on it?
  • "Why do you trouble yourself in a house that is not your own? Let the sight of a dead man be a teacher for you concerning your departure from hence."

St. Isaac the Syrian
  • What exactly happens, we can never be sure (none of those who passed away and came back gave an account that is available to us today that s trust worthy)
    However, there is NOTHING that says the soul lingers for three days. The three day thing has 2 origins:
    1) Egyptian: The pheros used to take about 3 days to prepare the body for Barrial. It is then, they believed that the spirit starts on it journy in eternety when it sees teh body being buried
    2) Christ's resurection after three days: so We pray so commorate that as Christ Arose after 3 days, our beloved who just departed will arise again (not physically) but in Paradise. It is just a sign of Faith.

WE call it "the prayer for the release of the spirit" or "Sarf El roo7" but it is the spirit of sadness not the spirit of the departed. It is like saying (we have hope in Christ that we will not be sad anymore).

That is why we have the 40th day commoration as well. Just like Christ Ascended into the Heavens, we believe that our beloved who departed will ascend as well.

Once we depart, we will go into one of two places:
    1) Paradise (just like the saints and the right hand thief) It is a place of waiting for those who have lived a rightous life. It will be free from Agony and suffering. And as the book of Revelations say "When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed. (Rev 6: 9-11)

So those who pass away await joyfolly the second comming. Those who have not repented or did not believe, are sent to Hades living in Anguish and agony what will happen to them. Those whish that God would delay His comming so that they are not sent to eternal damnation.

It is unclear what will happen exactl, but it is clear that the time of temptation is over once we take our last breath. After that, there will be no temptation, and there will be no repentance. That would be our last chance to stirve to make it with the ranks of the ritious.

Excelleant Topic Nader. That was great to think about our eternal life.
  • are u guys totally sure because my sunday skool class had a lesson on this maybe a year ago, and we went over it, im pretty sure something like i said happened

im gonna email my sunday skool teacher and get baq to u guys soon
  • no one can tell you what happens... because non of us ever died...
  • i understand that but I think Christ told someone, kinda like how John knew about revalations, he never was there but Christ told him about it.
    i think that was wat happened, Christ told monks thrpugh dream or something
  • there are accounts of saint that died and came back to life... that God showed them a revelation... but no one mentioned what you said... but one... I cannot remember his name... but it wasnt three days... no one knows how long... but this saint was still tempted when he was on his way to heaven...
  • I definitely agree with socoolbishoy but we had a sunday school lesson about this yesterday it took about 30 minutes or an hour, but our sunday school teacher told us that pope shenouda wrote a book about this, and he told us yesterday that when you die you go to the waiting place either if your good, paradise waiting place or if your bad, hell waiting place and when judgement day comes God will let all the dead and alive to there waiting places and open heaven's gate and open hell's gate and it will be total darkness in hell and all holy in paradise, paradise will be spiritual and you will never think bad all that's going on in your head will be spiritual and you will recognize all your friends and family members!

[move][glow=red,2,300]*God Bless*[/glow][/move]

-Nans-
  • paradise... they wait in paradise
  • you didnt say anything wrong to be sorry. ;D
  • I don't know why but i always say sorry for no reason even
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=11;threadid=1870;start=0#msg28329 date=1118709356]
    there are accounts of saint that died and came back to life... that God showed them a revelation... but no one mentioned what you said... but one... I cannot remember his name... but it wasnt three days... no one knows how long... but this saint was still tempted when he was on his way to heaven...

I don't think Saint John died and came baq to life, he was asleep and it appeared to him in a dream...

And this is what i think that happened to the monks and others who got this info.. Christ appeared to them through a dream or something. correct me if i'm wrong
  • if you do die, you would be happy to see god and to be in heaven!!!!!
  • If you think about it it is kind of scary. But you know that you will be able to rejoice in heaven with God!! :)
  • the worse think is that is so scary!
    the best think you will se god!!!!!!
    isn't that scary??
  • [quote author=nadertossoun link=board=11;threadid=1870;start=15#msg28338 date=1118711379]
    [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=11;threadid=1870;start=0#msg28329 date=1118709356]
    there are accounts of saint that died and came back to life... that God showed them a revelation... but no one mentioned what you said... but one... I cannot remember his name... but it wasnt three days... no one knows how long... but this saint was still tempted when he was on his way to heaven...

I don't think Saint John died and came baq to life, he was asleep and it appeared to him in a dream...

And this is what i think that happened to the monks and others who got this info.. Christ appeared to them through a dream or something. correct me if i'm wrong

I was not talking about saint John... I am talking aobut saints that died... and came back and talked about it... like Lazarus, and many more....
  • hey when you die it will be happiness for you that you are going to see lord jesus christ!!!!!! :D i would be really happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • death seems scary but good at the same time!!
  • Death is a gain
  • what does that mean??
  • For those living the Christian path the death of the body is proceeded by the abiding with God and His servants in Paradise. It is a direct and defintive process corroborated by the Holy scriptures. The loss of the physical abode is followed up by a much more gloriuos state of existence with God. Therefore it is death that leads to gain.

God Bless
  • i think when u die ur soul departes to the heaven right away
  • your soul doesnt depart to heaven atomatically. you cannot enter heaven if you didnt live your life the way your suppossed 2 be. um. i was told that when you die, your soul departs from your body and you go to a place between heaven and hell. at the second comming JESUS CHRIST either takes you with him into heaven, or u get punished and go to hell. IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR LIFE, THE WAY YOU LIVE RIGHT NOW.

" why think about death or where you are going to go, if you are living your life the way you should be you have no worries."