The Clergy

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
How come Priets can get married and the pope and bishop cant. isnt marriage one of the 7 sacraments? that means that a priest can practice all 7 sacraments but the pope and bishop can only practice 6? pelase give me your great advice ;D
May God Bless You and Pray for me ;D

Comments

• hi

the sacrements are there to help u get closer to god. a pope or bishope are monks, they devote their whole life to god, no one else, thats y they don't get married. the reason a priest can get married is because priesthood is a calling, monks choose to become monks, priest can't choose to be a priest. also a priest, can't get married after ordination; it is wrong

God Bless
  • no one needs all seven sasraments to be saved, all you need is five.
    you don't need marriage or clergy. and i think one of the reasons preists get married is 'cause they take confessions, (mostly from married beleivers) so they could solve and understand. like monks might have a hard time solving a marriage problem.
  • I slightly disagree Mina. You can say that you don't need 5, however, it is marriage and unction of the sick you don't need. Now, you don't need to be ordained priest to partake of this sacrament. Dealing with priests, and having them carry out all the sacraments are obviously necessary. Therefore, you don't have to be ordained to be part of the priesthood sacrament.

I thought I taught you better than that mina???

Steve
  • The reason preists could get married is because theyre supposed to give advice to ppl, when a couple is having problems the priest should noe what to do, so geting married is like a first hand expereience so he can give good advice.

Bishops and popes arnt married is because they used to be monks b4 getting their rank, and when your a monk you leave all the earthly materialistic things and needs behind, and ur like married to the Church.

hope that helped, Nader

also correct me if i got nething rong
  • Hello everyone....

Well...there are two types of sacrements....the critical ones, ones you MUST LIVE BY...such as Baptism, Myron, Eucharist, Confession...the other three you can or cannot live by..according to the need of yourself and/or the church....Marriage is one of the other three

Ok now priests getting married was a very old tradition, but was out on paper in Magma3 Nikeia in 386 A.D. (I think)...the reason was already stated here in the post...so that the devil does not fight them with this hard war (of chastity) when they visit people (not to say marriage is impure, but u know what I mean)...

However....bishops and Popes were originally people who chose to become like earthly angels, as the church calls them; monks...they originally left the world for just that, their love for our Lord....these people God gave the blessing of fighting off the devils temptations BECAUSE THEY WANTED...

When the Lord chose them to be Bishops or Popes, that was to show people a better purer and more heavenly way of loving and living with the Lord...their chosen way....

People who give their lives to the lord must NEVER go back...whatever happens...besides...that's better for us! :)

Remember..."Those who are married try to please their partner...those who aren't try to please God." (Saint Paul)

(Which of which is more of course...marriage is also a holy way for those who can't...)
  • Monks are called to be celibate and live an intense life of prayer and repentance. Unlike the Roman Catholic Church Orthodoxy recognizes the Holy Spirit bestows the gift of celibacy on some and the gift of marriage on others. Neither is exclusively better than the other, just 2 different ways of serving God. Thus bishops come from the ranks of monks to serve without distractions as St. Paul says: 1 Corinthians 7:32-33

"32 But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord. 33 But he who is married cares about the things of the world—how he may please his wife."

The Lord Jesus Himself being celibate tells us it's a gift: Matthew 19:12

12 For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.”  "

Orthodoxy accepts some are called to be married and others are called to be celibate.
  • [quote author=stevey820 link=topic=1890.msg28476#msg28476 date=1118810840]
    I slightly disagree Mina.  You can say that you don't need 5, however, it is marriage and unction of the sick you don't need.  Now, you don't need to be ordained priest to partake of this sacrament.  Dealing with priests, and having them carry out all the sacraments are obviously necessary.  Therefore, you don't have to be ordained to be part of the priesthood sacrament. 

I thought I taught you better than that mina???

Steve

You do need unction of the sick. You have to have it for salvation I believe.

You have to have:
    Unction of the Sick
    Communion
    Baptism/confirmation
    Confession/ Repentance

You don't need:
    Priesthood
    Marriage.