SATAN?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I don’t know how long… but I’ve always been wondering, is Satan bad or good… he is also called the accuser… so could he be just doing the will of God… also according to the story of job he goes in front of the Almighty God… among the angels… SORRY to confuse… but I need some help…

Comments

• I’m a little perplexed as to what it is about Satan that could possibly be “good”? Satan is clearly the enemy as explicated in Psalms 71:13 and 1 Samuel 29:4. Furthermore he said to be the source of all evil (Luke 22:3; Mark 1:13; ; 2 Cor. 11:14; Acts 5:31 Tim. 5:15).

Satan isn’t exactly called the accuser, but rather this is the etymological definition of the term Satan which is a word of Hebrew origin. There are a range of other legalistic synonyms to “the accuser”, which give us a better idea of what is meant, he can also be called “the prosecutor”, “the adversary” or “the opponent”.

He is in direct opposition to both Jesus and His Spirit (The Holy Spirit), who in contrast to satan “the accuser” are both called the Paracletos; “the comforter” or “the advocate” (See John 14-16 for this title being attributed to The Holy Spirit, and see 1 John 2:1 for this title being attributed to Christ).

Satan’s “accusing” or “prosecuting” functions are not the will of God, however, they are permissible, subject to the will of God, allowed for God’s own purposes. This is what happened in the story of Job.

Peace.

• All of God's creation is good in so far as it has being. Therefore Satan's being is good.....he simply does bad things.
  • Well I think the copula in "Satan is bad" is predicating the subject according to it's behaviour/function/role.

That satan has existence is not a reflection on satan himself, for it is not by satan's choice that he came into being, nor is it by his choice that his being is maintained. Satan's being is only good according to the fact that God allows Him to have being - since God is the self-existent cause of all existence, and all that exists is sustained because of its dependence on God in the first place.
    Everything God wills is good; and therefore if you want to say "satan is good" in this sense, at least qualify it in this manner to show that such goodness is a reflection on God rather than satan himself.

Peace.
  • bishoy...i kind of may know where ur getting at..
    I used to think that maybe Satan was just doing a job...to punish the sinners and weed out the bad from the good. For example, there are people in charge of prisons and its a dirty job but somebody has to do it. I don't know if thats similar to what you were wondering but i know i've wondered about that a few times before.
  • For example, there are people in charge of prisons and its a dirty job

Nope it’s nothing like that. The language employed by the Bible is such that Satan can be likened to the prosecutor who is trying to put us into prison in the first place. The Father is the judge along with His Son, and the Son and Holy Spirit are our defense lawyers or advocates (notice that The Son's role is two-fold due to His being the perfect mediator as God Incarnate - He judges according to His divinity, and yet defends us as one who has experienced our humanity). This is the legal terminology employed by the Bible, so I believe this analogy is most appropriate, since it is grounded in the scriptures.

Apart from Job 1-2, his accusing/prosecuting function can be seen in Zechariah 3:1

1 Then he showed me Joshua [a] the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right side to [b]accuse him.

And the acknowledgement of his accusatory role seen in Revelations 13:10

10Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

Peace.
  • Here is some of His Many Names throughout a number of bible versions:

Two names are the most popular names given him in the scriptures:

Satan (Job 1:6-12; Job 2:1-7; Zechariah 3:1-2; Matthew 4:10; Matthew 12:26; Matthew 16:23; Mark 1:13; Mark 3:23, 26; Mark 4:15; Mark 8:33; Luke 10:18; Luke 11:18; Luke 13:16; Luke 22:3, 31; John 13:27; Acts 5:3; Acts 26:18; Romans 16:20; 1 Corinthians 5:5; 1 Corinthians 7:5; 2 Corinthians 2:11; 2 Corinthians 11:14; 2 Corinthians 12:7; 1 Thessalonians 2:18; 2 Thessalonians 2:9; 1 Timothy 2:20; 1 Timothy 5:15; Revelation 2:9, 13, 24; Revelation 3:9; Revelation 12:9; Revelation 20:2, 7)

the devil (Matthew 4:1, 5, 8, 11; Matthew 13:39; Matthew 25:41; Luke 4:2-3, 5, 9, 13; Luke 8:12; John 8:44; John 13:2; Acts 10:38; Acts 13:10; Ephesians 4:27; Ephesians 6:11; 1 Timothy 3:6-7; 2 Timothy 2:26; Hebrews 2:14; James 3:15; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8; 1 John 3:8, 10; Jude 9; Revelation 2:10; Revelation 12:9, 12; Revelation 20:2, 10)

He is also known by these "proper" names:

Abaddon (Revelation 9:11)
    Apollyon (Revelation 9:11)
    Beelzebub (Matthew 10:25; Matthew 12:24, 27; Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15, 18-19)
    Belial (2 Corinthians 6:15)
    Leviathan (Isaiah 27:1)
    Lucifer (Isaiah 14:12)

In several cases, he is given the names of animals or creatures:

the serpent (Genesis 3:1-2, 4, 13-14; 2Corinthians 11:3; Revelation 12:9, 14-15)
    ancient serpent (Revelation 12:9; Revelation 20:2)
    the coiling serpent (Isaiah 27:1)
    the gliding serpent (Isaiah 27:1)
    the dragon (Revelation 12:4, 7, 13, 16-17; Revelation 20:2)
    enormous red dragon (Revelation 12:3)
    the great dragon (Revelation 12:9)
    the monster of the sea (Isaiah 27:1)
    the wolf (John 10:12)

At least two names identify him before his unforgivable sin:

morning star (Isaiah 14:12)
    son of the dawn (Isaiah 14:12)

Some of his descriptive names give insight into his power:

angel of the Abyss (Revelation 9:11)
    the god of this age (2 Corinthians 4:4)
    the prince of demons (Matthew 9:34; Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15)
    the prince of this world (John 12:31; John 14:30; John 16:11)
    the ruler of the kingdom of the air (Ephesians 2:2)

Other descriptive names give insight into his character (or lack thereof):

the accuser of our brothers (Revelation 12:10)
    the enemy (Matthew 13:39; Luke 10:19; 1 Timothy 5:14)
    your enemy (1 Peter 5:8)
    a liar (John 8:44)
    the father of lies (John 8:44)
    the lawless one (2 Thessalonians 2:8-9)
    murderer (John 8:44)
    the tempter (Matthew 4:3; 1 Thessalonians 3:5)
    the thief (John 10:10)

But, perhaps there is one name which sums him up the best:

the evil one (Matthew 5:37; Matthew 6:13; Matthew 13:19, 38; John 17:15; Ephesians 6:16; 2 Thessalonians 3:3; 1 John 2:13-14; 1 John 3:12; 1 John 5:18-19)

Here’s also a great little snippet of an article that H.H Pope Shenouda III wrote concerning the devil:

I compare the clamor of the devil with the story of the fox and the drum. There was a drum hung to a tree blown by the wind causing an awful noise. A fox passed by it and was alarmed by the noise. He was afraid at first, then he was encouraged and attacked it. When he saw it was empty from within, he laughed and despised it. This resembles also a big balloon which appears huge but the prick of a small pin makes it nothing... The devil is like this, clamor with no power. He tries to frighten you but has no power for he doesn’t have the absolute liberty to do what he wants.

There is God, the Almighty who prevents the devil according to His own will. In the story of Job the Just, the devil did not follow his own will but was confined to the scope which God allowed him. (Job 1,2) The devil is not so powerful that you ought to fear him. The mere sign of the cross makes him escape from your face. The devil wants you to imagine him as powerful, but do not believe him. Remember always his repeated defeat before the saints.

Remember those who had the power to cast him out of the people whom he overthrew, and how he cried always in fear before God’s children and escaped. Since you know the weakness of the devil, resist him bravely.

In his name
  • Awesome stuff Joyisgod, God bless you and thanks for the great insight!
    Dany
  • LoL thanks a lot Dany for your kind words but don’t let the devil tempt me since pride is one of the biggest sin. ;D

In his name
  • ....I know what u mean....I'm sorry if it came out that way...I didn't mean it to be...
  • Dany,

Oh please don't apologize for anything, I didn't take it in any negative way; it was more of me being a smart-alec that’s all. Maybe I’ll try harder on my jokes next time. :)

Sorry buddy for the confusion or for the lame joke

• guys they were gr8 responses ;)
  • :)

Awesome stuff JoyisGod! I think you covered just about everything related to the Devil...LOL... ;)
  • good stuff joyisgood ;) :D

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!!!!!
  • i remember that while growing up, i always thought of satan as the 'bad guy' who hurts people. lol :D
    keep up the gr8 responses ;)
  • lol mazza keep thinking that lol

GB ALL
    +FROG+
    GOD IS GREAT!!
  • I have alwayz known that satan before he became the devil was the archangel but, he got jealous of God so he wanted to be his own self he is bad and that's that
  • Of course Satan is bad! He pushed Christ to the limits during his fast of 40 days and40 nights! Every Saint and pope or bishop always prayed and did the cross to keep Satan away and from problems happening. People every night and day people pray that Satan will saty away from them. Sorry for the harsh comments! :-*
  • Related question...When did all of that satan falling happened...a verse from the bible would be appreciated...thanks guys.
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=1694;start=15#msg28151 date=1118535756]
    Related question...When did all of that satan falling happened....like in the bible...it only mentioned when the angels were created and not all that falling of satan and such.

I'm not entirely sure.. but I know some people believe in the "gap theory" this is the belief that there was a time break, certain amount of time between the first two verses of Genesis and some people think thats when satan & his angels fell.
    I don't believe it..
    But I am not sure if this is true or not..
    correct me if anything I said is wrong!

God bless! ;D
  • Anyone know the verse of when satan falled or when?
  • The first verse in the Holy Bible “In the beginning God created heavens and earth” Gen. 1:1
    When God created heavens they were completely formed. We can understand that from the book of Job 38

1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
    2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
    3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
    4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
    5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
    6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
    7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The morning stars and the sons of God mentioned in verse 7 are the ranks of heavenly hosts which include the archangels one which fell and became satan.
  • I was refered to this verse in Isaiah 14:12-23 for the falling of satan....

12 How you have fallen from heaven,
    O morning star, son of the dawn!
    You have been cast down to the earth,
    you who once laid low the nations!

13 You said in your heart,
    "I will ascend to heaven;
    I will raise my throne
    above the stars of God;
    I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
    on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. [c]

14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
    I will make myself like the Most High."

15 But you are brought down to the grave,
    to the depths of the pit.

16 Those who see you stare at you,
    they ponder your fate:
    "Is this the man who shook the earth
    and made kingdoms tremble,

17 the man who made the world a desert,
    who overthrew its cities
    and would not let his captives go home?"

18 All the kings of the nations lie in state,
    each in his own tomb.

19 But you are cast out of your tomb
    like a rejected branch;
    you are covered with the slain,
    with those pierced by the sword,
    those who descend to the stones of the pit.
    Like a corpse trampled underfoot,

20 you will not join them in burial,
    for you have destroyed your land
    and killed your people.
    The offspring of the wicked
    will never be mentioned again.

21 Prepare a place to slaughter his sons
    for the sins of their forefathers;
    they are not to rise to inherit the land
    and cover the earth with their cities.

22 "I will rise up against them,"
    declares the LORD Almighty.
    "I will cut off from Babylon her name and survivors,
    her offspring and descendants,"
    declares the LORD.

23 "I will turn her into a place for owls
    and into swampland;
    I will sweep her with the broom of destruction,"
    declares the LORD Almighty.

• Meh..I could care less how bad Satan is..you're the one who's going to be judged in the end..not him..
  • i do not really think about satan that much!!!!! ;D
  • [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=board=1;threadid=1694;start=15#msg28343 date=1118714896]
    Meh..I could care less how bad Satan is..you're the one who's going to be judged in the end..not him..

actually Satan will be judged along with all other creatures......

sandrahanna, it's actually somewhat of a blessing to think about the fallen angels often......if you were to know how much they influence us, you would constantly make the sign of the cross and ask for the Mercy of the Theotokos and her Son......Saints have had visions of the demons of the air, and they were shocked to see just how much they do in fact influence us

"For our battle is not against flesh and blood....." (sorry, but I 'm not a good Bible-quoter)
  • i still do not understand why satan has to be juded. can you explain it to me again u_stole_my_name ???? thanks and god bless you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • because he's the worst sinner of them all!!!!!!!
  • still do not understand why satan has to be judged. can you explain it to me again

10: and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulphur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

If you really ask why Satan should be judged ? I do really wonder, how can you believe in the Holy Bible?
  • actually Satan will be judged along with all other creatures......

Yes, he will but not for YOUR sins..you get judged for your sin
  • do you think even if satan gets judged hes going to heaven?????? :-X ::) :o >:( :( :-\

[move][glow=red,2,300]i dont think so[/glow][/move]