Star Wars

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
yes i'm an egyptian girl who is a total star wars geek lol but thats not the point of this topic. The point is actually very spiritual. So i was watching return of the sith the other day and i felt like it really connected to our struggle with spirituality. You see, Anakin Skywalker turns into Darth Vader because of his thirst for power, his desire to be in control and to be more than just another Jedi. He has no patience and believes that if he turns to the dark side, he'll get his freedom. He believes this is the only way he can save the love of his life instead of letting her die like his mother did, but what is ironic is that she ends up dying because he turned to the dark side. Now obviously he has become evil because he kills young children in hope of destroying anyone that would go against him in the future. I believe those are the very same reasons why many people stray from God. They have no patience if things aren't going exactly their way. They think that it will give them freedom because they can follow their own laws and be in control of their lives and that its only their own power that can save them. Also, i've even found my own self saying "i don't want to conform and be like every other person in church". (Much like how Anakin didn't want to be like every other Jedi). I warn you all that these thoughts are dangerous. They start out as a desire for "freedom" but then make us do things that go against our values. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a different person, but we have to always keep in mind that God created us, therefore we have to obey Him, and He does truly love us, thus we should always have patience. Power on earth gets us nowhere. The objective of living is to humble ourselves and keep our treasures in heaven. So yeah..i didn't really have a question, just a connection i wanted to make, what do you guys think?

Comments

• I was gonna see the movie... it is ruined... kidding... but now I know what is gonna happen... okay never mind... you did ruin it... THANX... lol
  • i'm sorry! you should still see it though because it was reeeeeeeeeeeally really really good. There's still..more stuff that happens lol. sorry!
  • that's funny.... i always thought star wars was silly, srry, but now i wish i didn't sleep through every movie :'(
  • i have not seen one star wars movie- i don think there all that gr8 like i dunno. cremedelescremes ur prob goan kil me ay lol ;)
  • this is getting a lil off topic, to be honest alot of new topics are off topic...whats the real problem here? i dont get it.

can u plz reword the question without the comentary
  • Please keep the subject matter spiritual guys. I'm not trying to dictate to you what you can and cannot say, but I have to be consistent here, so please try keep the focus of this discussion on a spiritual level, and you can add your personal comments as sideremarks.

Peace.
  • so...why is that called general discussion? we can talk about anything that any person is confused about it??
  • general discussion about things of SPIRITUAL NATURE
  • tHANKS THAT HELPED ALOT
  • first off, i wanna say that i have NO interest in star wars watsoever...or even any of the other 'star' stuff (star trek, etc.)

This movie has been known to tackle spiritual issues though. A friend of mine told me once that the author of Star Wars created the series based on a real faith that people belive. he told me that there are people who actually 'believe in the force'...how that is, don't ask me...

though i haven't seen the latest movie (and don't intend to), i would have to agree...the movie does convey a message that relates to humanity's struggle with spirituality..except it's just crammed with strange names and hollywood effects...

just my two cents...
    Sinful servant
  • A friend of mine told me once that the author of Star Wars created the series based on a real faith that people belive. he told me that there are people who actually 'believe in the force'...how that is, don't ask me...

The "force" is based on Hindu and Buddist concepts of the universe and also on the Chinese teaching of the I-Ching....Ying ,Yang,chi(ki),etc.... The "force" foolishness rejects a personal God and substitutes an abstract impersonal energy source(force).Pure and total garbage. There is a true and living God.A Holy God. YaHWeH The LORD of Hosts.
  • that sounds about right...

mostly, i choose not to watch star wars largely due to the fact that their characters are far too imagined...but other than that, it's the spiritual aspect it tries to convey (and why everyone is flocking to theatres to watch the movie, i don't know!!)

Sinful Servant
  • Lets not blow this out of porportion. I didn't mean hey lets all go worship the force and become jedis in a galaxy far far away lol. My point is, the christian mind can interpret even science fiction in a good way so i don't see the harm in watching movies like star wars and harry potter, whereas priests have sometimes said that its an awful influence.
  • gonna agree with cremedelescremes here, I think you can apply just about anything to your spiritual life. I mean I heard Lord of the Rings was christian, and when watching the matrix the other day I could see some Christian influence, I mean watching these films are not going to change your belief or your view on the Church dogma or anything!
  • My point is, the christian mind can interpret even science fiction in a good way so i don't see the harm in watching movies like star wars and harry potter,

I agree. I love Sci-fi and fantasy.Movies,books,games,etc.

As long as we filter out the junk,we should be ok.However, prolonged exposure to un-Godly influences can have harmful side-effects...lol...We have to be careful.The Bible says,"bad company corrupts good behavior".In other words,if we constantly surround ourselves with negative and questionable material,we run the risk of being infected or tainted by sinful influences.I know in my own life when I expose myself to programs with bad language,vulgarity,retc.,it most definetly has a negative impact in my life.I try to avoid these snares as much as possible.Most of the Star Wars stuff is pretty clean.As a christian I'm able to sort out alot of the junk and spiritual falsehoods but I really worry and feel sorry for those with no firm spiritual footing,they can easily be led astray,embracing the eastern philosophy which is at the very heart of Star Wars mythology.

Harry Potter is bad,I think,because it glorifies and teaches kids witchcraft.Of course it's fantasy ,but the actual core and mechanics of Wiccan religion,as it is actually practiced by modern day devotees,is popularized and made readily available to impressionable youth worldwide.Harry Potter has prompted a profound and unhealthy interest in the occult.It actually leads people away from God,down a dark and dangerous path.
  • what ! no it doesnt! its fantasy! how can u point that out as bad?

its the child's mind that determines. u can be obsessed over anything.
    you cant make that assumption if myriads of people such as myself are not influenced in such a wicked way.
    for example look at cs lewis, a dedicated christian and she by the way defended harry potter in addition to her work.

peace to all.
  • for example look at cs lewis, a dedicated christian and she by the way defended harry potter in addition to her work

LOL...C.S Lewis was a man and died many years before the Harry Potter books came out.I dont think he defended the Harry Potter books unless he did so from Heaven...lol...

Seriously though,I've never personally read the Harry Potter books but I've heard that there are many elements and techniques practiced by Wiccans incorporated in the Harry Potter series.This information comes from reliable sources who have many years experience in the field of occult studies.The stories themselves may indeed be fantasy but the principles underlying the books are thouroughly based in the occult and modern day Wicca.I've personally seen stories on the news describing how Harry Potter has dramatically increased interest in the religion of Wicca.The Wiccans themselves will acknowledge this very fact and even have a website dedicated to young people who have read the H.P. series and are looking for more information concerning wichcraft.They even offer courses for H.P. fans,all of which go hand in hand with the H.p. books and teach modern day witchcraft.The numbers of children who visit this website is amazing.All of them looking for spiritual reality and meaning in their lives;instead of findind the TRUTH(our Lord Jesus Christ)they've been seduced by the evil one.The Harry Potter books have played a huge role in leading innocent children down the wrong path.
  • I agree jfranklin.. I have read the harry potter books and was obsessed with harry potter(before i was christian).. but then i realized its all black magic and witchcraft and those books should be burned! It really can be a horrible influence even though the author herself says its not bad etc. People say its good because its about good triumphing over evil.. BUT WHERE IS THE GOOD IN IT?! Its about wizards/witches triumphing over others... I don't see how that is good! :(
    I highly reccomend read Galations 5:19-21..

God Bless
    --Laura
  • ok u win, i lose.

i just want to say that u can read it and see it as what it is.. a story. i dont think that u should portray it as something so wicked when u havent read the books. if u did u would see its not as full of malice as these guys make it out to be. keep in mind they probably cut down every detail in the story. few kids have the time or the patience to in depth read this stuff and actualy dwell on it.

lastly, jk rowling worte the story when she was in depression and poor. she cant have had such a goal. the story was not meant to be this popular to begin with, so why would she think to put such tricky satanic things for children to eat up?
  • i dont think that u should portray it as something so wicked when u havent read the books. if u did u would see its not as full of malice as these guys make it out to be. keep in mind they probably cut down every detail in the story. few kids have the time or the patience to in depth read this stuff and actualy dwell on it.

Point well taken!....LOL...

lastly, jk rowling worte the story when she was in depression and poor. she cant have had such a goal. the story was not meant to be this popular to begin with, so why would she think to put such tricky satanic things for children to eat up

I see where your coming from...but you also have to remember that Rowling is not a christian and even though she may not have intentionally meant to harm children,the fact is that her world view,which definately favors Wiccan and Pagan ideas,has had a very harmful influence on children in general.Her books may not have harmed christian children,who are grounded and rooted in the christian faith,but they've certainly damaged those young people who have turned to the pagan Wiccan religion as a result of reading her books.Her books have awakened a profound spiritual hunger im many people,but unfortunately Miss Rowling's work has led many away from the Light(Jesus) and caused many to embraced the darkness found in paganism.