Love with your deeds, not your words

edited June 2005 in Faith Issues
Plz i need this as soon as possible, what is the verse that says something about don't love with words but by ure deeds.

Comments

• I would suggest for you to use one of those online bible where you can simply type key words and it will automatically search for the verse!! It will save you a LOT of time..unless someone knows exactely which verse you're talking about.
  • whats the online bible?
  • nadertoussoun,

Im not sure if there is a specific verse relating to your request, but there are many that are quite close to it.

Jesus said that to express true love, we must obey his commandments i.e. it is through our deeds that we prove our love for our Lord: "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him." John 14:23

Furthermore, we are told in Galatians 5:5-6 that our faith is to be expressed through love: "But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." And we are told in 1 Cor.13:1-3, that without love our faith is nothing.
    Eelsewhere it is said that our faith is dead without works: James 2:20.

In conclusion therefore, since faith is expressed through love (Gal. 5:5-6), and since it is nothing without love (1 Cor. 13:1-3), yet is also expressed through works (James 2:22), and is dead without works (James 2:17), combined with the first verse which indicates that through our works we express our love (John 14:23), we can see the intricate relationship here between faith, love, and works. We cannot regard them separately or independently, for one is only true and genuine if the other two accompany it.

Peace.
  • Hello nadertossoum,

The Heavenly Father did not just say to humanity I love you, but He did it with unimaginable works of love that we can not even fathom. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believe in Him should not perish, but have eternal life". John 3:16

"This is My commandment that you love one another, just as I have loved you." John 15:12. The Lord did not love us by words, but He died for all of us, that is why He followed the previous verse by saying "Greater love hath no man than this, that one lay down his life for his friends " John 15:13
  • i found the verse
    it was
    My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:18)

it's a really nice verse if u analyze it
    thx evryone for ure help
  • Great. My OSB cross-references 1 John 3:18 with Ezekiel 33:31 which has the same implication, for it rebukes those who do not practise their faith, and whose devotion and heart is consequently expressed through their words alone, as opposed to through works and practise:

"My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain."

Peace.