A Little Something to Think About

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
So you see in front of you the gates of Heaven and Hell, and they both look exactly identical. There is an angel (I use that word very loosely) in front of each of the doors. Both of them are telling you that their door is leading to heaven. One of the angels is actually satan. You are allowed to ask them ONE question only and you decide from their answer which is heaven and which is hell. What do you ask?

Comments

• wel first id do the sign of the cross but i have no idea as to what question id ask.. its a tough one???

wat would u ask?
  • Can you just do the sign of the cross, it would burn the angel who looks like satan...
    ya I am kinda of struggling what you should ask them, so I don't know.

God Bless,
    Marianne
  • you are rghit Marianne,

and i don't think that we would have a chance to bick because our LORD is loving and merciful enough to judge us righteously.
    and all we need to do is to walk in the Lord's path.
  • I remember something like this and i think it turned out that both the people were liars but i dont remember the question, lol.
    If it were up to me though i'd just put "LORD" into the question, Satan wouldn't be able to stand the name and the angel would.
    I.E. "Which one of you comes in the name of the LORD, the one true GOD."
  • This is something i read in "The Life of Antony" by Fr. Athanasious.

U noe the angel is from heaven if it makes u feel peace
    and if u feel any sign of discomfort the spirit isn't holy.

So i wouldn't ask a question b/c the angel infront of heaven would try to comfort me right away.
  • well said nadertossoun ;D
  • Id tell the devil to come out and fite like a man ;D... jk jk jk... i dont no... PAULH TELL US!!!!
  • [quote author=nadertossoun link=board=1;threadid=1525;start=0#msg24453 date=1115449631]
    This is something i read in "The Life of Antony" by Fr. Athanasious.

U noe the angel is from heaven if it makes u feel peace
    and if u feel any sign of discomfort the spirit isn't holy.

So i wouldn't ask a question b/c the angel infront of heaven would try to comfort me right away.

Satan knows that Bible from cover to cover better than any of us do. Don't you think he knows what Fr. Athanasios said? He knows what to do to fool you and to make you think he's telling the truth. So that wouldn't work. As for saying the Lords name, that may help, but you also must remember that satan has appeared to many people in the form or a saint and lying to them and saying that he's of God.

keep thinking..
  • give us a hint?
  • are we allowed to say anything other than 1 simple question? BTW, when we ask the question, would they have to tell us the truth(honest answer), or would they lie....tell me and i'll answer, and instead of asking, cud we say tasbeha and see the reactions...??
    if they do answer truthfully, then ask "which way leads to Heaven?
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father + and the Son + and the Holy Spirit +. The One True God. Amen. [/glow]

I would ask" Can you please kiss the wounds of the Lord Jesus Christ in front of me after i do?"

Satan can never do that since he was always trying to tempt our Lord not to die for us especially in the Garden of Gethsemane. To kiss His wounds,the wounds of our slavation, is to admit His Lordship and victory which he cannot do.

AL MASIH KAM!!!!!
  • [quote author=Paulh link=board=1;threadid=1525;start=0#msg24465 date=1115488789]
    [quote author=nadertossoun link=board=1;threadid=1525;start=0#msg24453 date=1115449631]
    As for saying the Lords name, that may help, but you also must remember that satan has appeared to many people in the form or a saint and lying to them and saying that he's of God.

keep thinking..

so then someone could do something totally wrong because they thought it was a saint telling them to and it was actually satan. If God really has allowed that to happen, thats not exactly the compassion i thought he had.
  • I hope this doesn't sound crazy, but:

I would ask both angels to bow to me, the one who did would be the honest one.

Some tradition has it that the reason Satan fell from heaven was because he refused to bow down to the Word made Flesh. Satan is too proud, he thinks he is superior to humans - even though we are made in the Image and Likeness of God.
  • As Michael said, the devil fell because he could not bow down to Christ.

When we are tempted we are tempted because the devil tempts us, so we kind of have an excuse. But when satan was still in heaven, there was nobody tempting him. The evil came to him through him. There was nobody feeding his pride except himself which makes satan pride. So to ask satan to do something against his nature is impossible. In the book of Revelation, it says that satan will be offered the chance to repent but will not take it because he is himself pride and to repend you need humility. So ask both the angels to look towards the east and bow down. One angel will jump at the chance to bow down before the Lord, but the other will make sure he doesn't even bend his knee. I loved your answers though.

and keep in mind that my answer is not the only right one...there are many ways in which satans pride can be identified, and the one that Boricua_Orthodox mentioned was a beautiful one too...

Anyway thank you and God bless...

Christ is Risen..
  • Truly He has Risen
  • paulh,
    of course the devil knows this book in and out but it dosen't mean the book isn't true. (It is wriiten by the one who arranged the bible)

the devil can try to give us peace but you can just feel it if it's from God or not.
    God's peace is something u could feel, and it's nohing one really felt before, you can tell it is true peace.

take st. mary and zacharais for ex.
    wen the arch angel gabriel first appeared to them he said "Do not be afraid" and they were amazed and were filled with peace.

also if u do feel any form of discomfort it must be the devil b/c why would the devil try to make you feel peaceful. I'm not saying he can't trick you but the devil can not say "do not fear" b/c he wants you to be afraid.

I can't explain it like the book does, and i did read it with one of the smartest servants in the church. page by page.

people should really read this book, it changed the way i see life.

• o and satan can't say he's Jesus or god, it's a restriction God put on him
  • that is true but try an put yourself in his shoes.. cus hes pride he wont do anyfin other than please himself
  • By no means was I implying that the book wasn't correct. All I meants was that satan knows it very well and when satan comes to you he doesn't say "i'm satan, BOO!" He's sly and gets on your good side first. When your put into a temptation it doesn't come out of no where most of the time...first it starts with a thought in your head that has potential to form evil and he grows with that, without letting you look at it as evil. Most of the time you don't even notice that its something evil until your confronted by a friend or something. All I'm saying is satan is very smart and knows how to fool me.

Sorry if you thought I meant something different

Pray for me
  • Hi everyone I am new to the site
    I just wanted to say i really liked this topic I wanted to know if by any chance you have another question like this it was amazing
  • Actually, not at the moment, but I promise to find a few as soon as possible. Sorry
  • this sounds similar to a situation in the movie "Labyrinth" (viva David Bowie!).....

You ask any one of them, "What would the other say if I asked him which is the true way?"

the Lord Jesus says about Satan, "There is no truth in him".....so the evil angel would say that the angel would say that the entrance that he (i.e. the evil angel) is guarding is the true way

the real angel would say that the demon would say that his (i.e. the evil angel) entrance is the true way..

either way, you get the same answer.....i.e. the wrong way, in which case you know to follow the OTHER way
  • i think an easy solution to this problem would be to ask both to recite the Lord's prayer.

Keep me in ur prayers my friends
  • interesting responses!