what is meant by "Molech"??

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Leviticus ch 20 v. 2
"...WHO GIVES ANY OF HIS DESCENDANTS TO MOLECH HE SHALL SURELY BE PUT TO DEATH. THE PEOPPLE OF THE LAND SHALL STONE HIM WITH STONES"

what does this mean???????
george

Comments

• Molech was a food the israelites used to eat in Egypt, that the Egyptians knew as molochaia. This is punishable by death and the church keeps this rule until today. ;)

Actually Molech is a forign God in Egypt so it is a symbol for the ultimate disobedience to God. In many instances giving your child to a god could mean sacrificing them so God didn't allow it.

God bless,

CS
  • Hi,

Do you mean Molochia the green food.....well we still eat it and i never heard something about it's not allowed
  • Dear 'Luke'... I believe 'Coptic Soldier' was only joking... if he wasn't ... we'd all be dead by now!! (God forbid!) I think CS was right about the sacrificing bit...

I am not sure if this has been posted twice... Somehow I posted a response to this question... but there are two links to it????

Just in case the first one was a mistake.... Here's a copy of what i wrote!

Hi George!

In Leviticus Chapter 20, God spoke to Moses warning him to tell the Israelites some of the Penalties for breaking the law.

The Verse you quoted is a good example:

"Who gives any of his descendants to Molech, he shall surely be put to death" (Leviticus 20:2)

Molech was a pagan god... the NATIONAL god of the Ammonites (From Ammon - near Israel) who are the descendants of Ben-Ammi (the son of Lot).

The Ammonites would often sacrifice their children to their god, because they believed that this was the ultimate gift that anyone could offer. It was a very common practice among many other religions as well. They believed that this sacrifice of CHILDREN would make their god(s) happy, and that any evil spirits would be banished!

So... WHAT WAS DOES THE VERSE MEAN?

i believe, He was forbidding this very bad practice. Our God is a loving and merciful God... the idea of murdering our children for him does not make Him happier!! What pleases Him is our Love and faith... (This hasn't changed from OT to NT)

i hope i helped a bit.... :-\

Please... if anyone knows more, please let us know...
    This opens a very important topic of what Sacrifices REALLY MEAN...?

Please pray for me,
    God Bless You
  • Coptic Soldier, that's pretty funny ;Dlol

Defender!
  • minrew, soldier, u rock,
    howd u know that one???
    Good stuff :D