Humility

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What is it? Simple question..just wanted to get some opinions.

Comments

• good question?
    I went on a retreat for 3 days just to talk about humility...it was awasome. humility is all about denying yourself. but that doesnt' mean to be cruel on yourself. deny yourself gladly. that is the simplest way i could state it. i can tell you more if you want. but does that sound enough for now. or does it make sense?
  • It makes perfect sense but could you clarify it a bit more?
  • •Humility means lowliness, self-abasement, or self-denial
    •Humility describes an attitude that leads one to consider oneself lower than others
    •Humility isn’t just achieved by reading the Bible, but by having a strong and continuous relationship with God
    •Humility is obtained by going through the narrow gate and carrying the cross

**VERSES ABOUT HUMILTY
    •“Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Luke 18:14)
    •“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land” (2Chronicles 7:14)
    •“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up” (James 4:10)
    •“I dwell in the high and holy place, with Him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones” (Isaiah 57:15)
    •“Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Mathew 15:4)
    •“If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all” (Mark 9:35)

**EXAMPLES OF HUMBLE PEOPLE
    •Jesus Christ…is the greatest example we have of humilty..in all His actions He teaches us how to be humble..born in a manger..washed the feet of His disciples..and being crucified on the cross (which was the worst type of punishment at that time, if one died crucified)..and even though that He is GOD he died for the whole world to save us from eternal death and to give us life.
    •The Canaanite woman (see Mathew 15:21-28)
    •John the Baptist, Jesus Christ said about him, “Assuredly I say to you, among these born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptistl but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he” (Mathew 11:11)

**HOW TO BE HUMBLE
    •Always remember how Jesus was humble
    •Remember that the first sin that man had fallen into was pride, and because of pride we fell from the paradise of joy; so by being humble we are trying to return back to our first image, the pure humble image, that isn’t full of pride, because we are trying to reach God again, and return back to Him, so that we can be with Him in heavenly Jerusalem forever.
    •Know the weak points in yourself and try to change them
    •Be happy if you are insulted of persecuted in the name of Christ
  • Everyone perceives the world as if it revolves around them. Humility is really changing this worldview. I think that this is the reason that humble people are much more sociable and compassionate since they focus their energy on others instead of themselves.
  • HUMILITY.... a simple question... and here is a simple answer... that means a lot... HUMILITY is knowing yourself.
  • i was once told by a wise spiritual elder that true humility is seeing yourself the way God sees you: as His beloved child, but still as a speck of dust on the earth. it's not about self abasement, it's about knowing your true place in the eyes of God.

• St. Mark the Ascetic spake...

Just as water and fire cannot be combined, so self-justification and humility exclude one another.
  • God resists the Proud but gives Grace to the Humble
    --St. Augustine --James 4:6 --1 Peter 5.5

This is GOOD

http://www.believers.org/believe/bel216.htm

http://www.believers.org/believe/bel147.htm
  • “Humility of heart precedes all virtues, and the desire of the belly is the source of all passions. Pride is the basis of all vices and love is the origin of all goodness.” -St. Moses the Negro
  • Those sites were awesome ;D
  • Abba Antony said, "I saw all the snares of the Enemy laid out upon the ground, and I groaned and said, "Who can escape from these?" And the devils said unto me, "Humility maketh a man to escape from these, for we cannot attain unto it."

The Writing of the Early Church fathers are WAY MORE AWESOME!!

GBU ;)
  • They used to say that Abba Patra and Abba Ampikos were close and affectionate friends, and that when the old men were eating in the church, and they were urging them to come to the table of the fathers, it was only with hard work that Abba Patra would go by himself; and after he had eaten, Abba Ampikos said unto him, "How didst thou dare to go to the table of the old men?" Abba Patra said unto him, "If I had sat with you the brethren would have honoured me as an old man, and they would have required it of me to be the first to say the blessing, and I might have thought in my mind that I was greater than you all. But since I went to the fathers I am the lease of you all, and I am abased, and I think in my thoughts that I am nothing."

• Saint Isaac the Syrian spake...

A person who mentions his pitfalls and sins to humble himself, though this is very good, is not called a humble person. A humble person is he who comes nearer to humility and tries to reach it. A truly humble person does not need to convince himself or force his thought to have the feeling of humility, or invent reasons for that. But it is natural that he counts himself normally as nothing.

i soooo enjoy this quote!
    sorry to bring the thread bak up tho.
    GBUUUUU
  • when talking about humility...the youth from Mississauga refer to it as the vitue of[glow=red,2,300] humbility[/glow]. The reasoning behind this is that the virtue of humbelness and the virtue of humility are so tightly linked, that its impossible to have one without the other. so what is it?
    Humility or rather humbility is doing what John the Baptist said and proclaimed "I muct decrease so that He may increase" the Church teaches us examples of humbelness and their antiderivatives. If humbelness and humilty are derived from a lowly heart then the antiderivative is that is pride...and the Bible goes at great length teaching us how to get rid of the antivirtue and stick with the original virtue. Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins, but humbelness is the antidertivative of that.