How To Get Closer To God? SERIOUSLY

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Guys,

if anyone can please .. give me ways to get closer to God .. it would be really helpful and i would appreciate it soooooooooooo much!!

Comments

• I think the best way to get closer to God.. is to just stay in prayer. Because prayer builds up our relationship with God and makes you a stronger christian. Also read chapters from the Bible every day.. so you can also grow in the knowledge of God and his word.. and what he wants us to do...

some suggestions.. maybe join in community service, help out at a homeless shelter, be kind to others, to get yourself motivated to show others love and compassion just like our Lord, God wants us to do.

Also if anyone needs some inspiration, check out http://www.theinterviewwithgod.com :) its so moving.. it made me cry like everytime i watched it!!! lol :)

hope this helped ;D
  • i never thought it was important to forgive myself. i always thought i should be mad at myself and think of myself as a horrible bad person, a major sinner.

^That comment was made in response to watching the interview with God.
  • LauraForChrist -i agree with u praying in the bible is very helpful, and pray a little prayer between u and him and tell him i want to get closer to u god and i don't know how, ask him to show u his footprint so u can go after him and get closer to him,thats how i pray and it really works and with praying and reading the bible it really makes me feel how close i'm to god. ;)
    Good luck may god bless u and help u .
  • besides the two greatest things,prayer and reading the bible, there are other things that could help.
    getting involved in Church service might help you get closer to God. it could humble someone and teach them, in time, how to be God's child, how to love and obey and such. all this will help develop a better relationship with Him.
    as well, reading spiritual books by the Fathers is another good approach. i find that they have alot to say that's really benifical...

take care and God bless!
  • o and i forgot to mention (how could i lol...), attending sermons and spiritual talks!
    listening to someone such as a bishop, priest or 'well educated' servant could also help one's relationship with God.
    alotta times there's alot to learn from sermons... so those are a good start too!

take care and God bless
  • i would like 2 specify praying cuz alot of times it happens 2 me i dunno if it happens 2 u but it may lots of times i would pray without thinking wat im saying - a memorize prayer such as our father i sumtimes say it so fast and i don't try to think about wat im saying so im kinda saying it for no reason cuz i dont mean its so wen u pray ( just telling u cuz i no tons of ppl who have this problem) pray with feeling so that God feels your luv to Him and kno's u wanna worship him
    just wanted to share learned it in bible class :) i gues every1 else said the rest

GBU + FROG + WWJD ;)
    BeShOy
  • Hi Everyone,
    I'm new here on this site. My name is Randa, and i'm from St. Mina Church, Nashville, TN. i read a lot of the topics that are posted on here. i have enjoyed all of them, and learned a lot from each and everyone of you. God bless you.
    OstazaCoptic,
    how are you?
    you brought up a great topic. a lot of us struggle trying to go closer to God. in a matter of fact, we were talking about that in church last sunday.
    i'll give you a few point that we talked about, hopefully they help you.
    in order to succeed in anything, we have to be committed to it. Sometimes we will have to give up things we like in order to achieve what we want. and it's the something in our spiritual life. in order to get closer to God we have to believe in Him first and be committed. we have to put God the first one on the list of everything in our lives.
    As Mary K said, we really have to ask for his help, and support. by the way mary i liked the footprint thing ;). The most important thing is we have to have faith in Him and he will help us.
    As everyone else said to pray, and read the Bible.
    To reply at what BESHOYRM said. we don't have to be great speakers to talk with God. God knows what's inside of us and what exactly we need to talk with Him about. About praying without thinking what are we saying, i believe that, whenever we start praying, Satan goes crazy, and he makes us think, that our prayers are worthless. THAT'S NOT TRUE. we still have to pray and we have to fight all these thoughts. i'm not trying to give an excuse for not meaning our prayers, but i'm just saying that we shouldn't give up and stop praying just the fact that we are just repeating words. we have to fight back and pray more.
    One other thing, go to your father of confession to guide you more. Sometimes he will give you a certain task to do to help you spiritually. talk to abouna and get his advice.
    Sorry you guys for talking too much, i guess i got a little excited. take care everyone :-*and God bless you all.
  • i never thought it was important to forgive myself. i always thought i should be mad at myself and think of myself as a horrible bad person, a major sinner.

^That comment was made in response to watching the interview with God.

Hi cremedelescremes,
    how can't i forgive myself when God, Himself forgives us. We have to have hope so we'll move on with our lives. if we don't forgive ourselves we won't be able to move on. in psalm 50, it says something like, and my sins in front of me all the times, i can't remember the exact words, but that what it means. we should remember that we have sinned and we've confessed our sins, so we know that they are forgiven, but we shouldn't forget that we have sinned, so we won't sin again. Also, so we won't feel that we are better than everyone else. We should be simple and humble. We have to remember that we are sinners, and we have hope and faith in God that we'll be better with Him in us. We shouldn't think that we are horrible people. We are the sons of God. So how can we be horrible.
    i hope i'm making sense. ???
    Take Care,
    God bless you ;)
  • yea i agree with WonderToato
  • Well everyone basically said it but I think that it's very hard to say how to get close to God in mere words..God reveals himself to every individual in a way that can not be described..it's just amazing. The best advice is to keep your heart open and show your love to Christ. God bless.
  • Where he leads i will follow any any where that he tells me to and when i need him he will always be there for me! KNOK on his dore, and he will invite u in...does that make sense...be like GOD i had one of those days where everything just seemed to go wrong! and just have a conversation with him, like u would with a friend, it makes it easire to talk to him, and trust me he listents and works in his own way, soon you will want to have the conversation with him everyday!

Maria
  • :) ;) :D ;D haaaaaay guys
    hay saviourofmysoul that is sooo true lyk at skool if none of my frends arrived yet i just walk round the skool talking to God in my mind lol i talk to him exactly how i talk to my frendz now i do it even in class sometimes lol yer anyway i gtg arrgh

GBALL
  • Where he leads i will follow any any where that he tells me to

hay saviourofmysoul that is sooo true lyk at skool if none of my frends arrived yet i just walk round the skool talking to God in my mind lol i talk to him exactly how i talk to my frendz now i do it even in class sometimes

This is why I love this forum so much...you guys are so cool! You love God so much...and you straighten me out when I stumble...lol... ;D
  • we have to forgive ourselves to have an inner peace..having peace inside ourselves will help us forgive others, will encourage us to go to church (on a daily basis), read in the bible, pray, take communion, confess our sins, and repent (truely repent).
    Add all that together=very close to GOD.
    That's How I think it works.
    God be with you and bless you.