Psalms

Does anyone know where I can by a stand-alone, modern translation of the Book of Psalms? I would very much appreciate it!

Comments

• take the orthodox study Bible and excise the psalms

(joking!)

but can you get the electronic version, copy and paste it and then print it?

the psalms are even more beautiful from the septuagint, and the OSB is a very good translation.

• it just occurred to me that perhaps you would like to pray from the agpeya with the psalms in modern english (agree that would be nice!).

in that case, you could go to www.agpeya.org and copy the prayers from there into a document, then copy and paste in the individual psalms.

i have nearly completed that for the 12th hour (bedtime) prayers, so send a personal message with your email address if you would like a copy.

then once you have finished, you may be able to sell it!

• I would like a copy please @mabsoota
  • @mabsoota i already pray from the Agpeya, which is indeed nice! but i was hoping to get a separate copy of the psalms so i could take it anywhere & just focus on them...
  • ok, thanks for clarifying.
    i did not see one like that.
    it is nice to have a little spiritual book with you when traveling or waiting for people :-)
  • If you'll allow a Byzantine to chime in - I use the Ancient Faith Psalter.  It seems that most Orthodox Psalters still insist on faux-Elizabethan English, but Ancient Faith is entirely modern English and is small enough to carry in my briefcase.  The only caveat is that the Psalms aren't in numerical order but arranged to be said over the course of the week according to Byzantine usage.  
  • hi, eastern orthodox brother (sister?),
    that sounds great. i am happy to hear about the modern english.
    do you pray 'our father' in modern english too?
    if so, please post it here, as i would love to see that.

where can someone obtain the ancient faith psalm book?
    does it have all the psalms?
  • I don't pray the Lord's Prayer in modern English.  For now the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese uses the standard "thy name" rendering in the Liturgy because that's what everyone knows, but in one of our daily prayer books there is a modern version: 
    Our Father,
    who are in heaven,
    hallowed be your name.
    Your kingdom come,
    your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread;
    and forgive us our trespasses,
    as we forgive those who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.

The Ancient Faith Psalter does have all 150 psalms (we don't recite psalm 151 liturgically), just not in numerical order.  It is available here: https://store.ancientfaith.com/the-ancient-faith-psalter/

Also, "brother."  I am a Reader in the Greek Archdiocese.  
  • @Basil thank you for your suggestion! I did have a look at the ancient faith Psalter, but as of now it is out of my price range. I ended up ordering the King James version as it is cheaper and still looks nice, albeit the language is outdated. Maybe I'll return to the AF Psalter later. Either way, thanks for bringing it to my attention and God bless :)
  • Update: I cancelled the King James version as I found a very cheap NASB (New American Standard Bible) version! Here's the link incase anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.nl/Book-Psalms-NASB-Rose-Publishing/dp/1628620838/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_nl_NL=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=book+of+psalms+nasb&qid=1595924246&sr=8-1
  • yay! thanks 2 God!
  • Great!  Glad you found something.
  • jojo_hanna, you omitted to send me your email address! i hope to finish the modern translation of the 12th hour prayers in the next few days, by God's grace.
    i am doing this for myself (for when i prefer to pray in english), for jojo_hanna and for anyone else who did not find a good english translation yet.
    (if you DID find a good english translation, please send a personal message)

*** HELP! ***

i would like to ask the brilliant people from the tasbeha.org forums to help with the modern version of the Lord's prayer to go in the modern 12th hour agpeya prayers (published by mabsoota printing house, no copyright applied for!). 
    then if i you send me your email address and i send you the translation, please feel free to comment on any improvements, especially as my arabic is poor and my coptic is rudimentary (and that's being polite about it!)

basil's is nearly what i am looking for, however, in the last 50 years, the term 'trespass' in english has meant 'walking on someone else's private land', so it is not really what our Lord Jesus meant when He taught the disciples about prayer. (if we could get away with any sin except trespassing, we would be sinning nearly all the time!)

in the new king james version (that is used in my favourite orthodox study Bible), the terms 'sins' and 'debts' are used in saint matthew's and saint luke's gospels.

in the greek orthodox liturgy (i suppose the closest to the original text), the words ὀφειλήματα and ὀφειλέταις are used to refer to our sins and the sins against us. i suppose i will use the word 'sin' if no one comes up with a better one.

and can anyone come up with a better translation than 'in the heavens' for ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς?
    i am not a greek scholar, i just picked up a bit in the church (thanks to 'coptic' hymns) and on a few visits to greek speaking places (and can copy and paste!) 
    i think 'tos ouranos' is plural, as this is what we sing in the hymn for the descent of the Holy Spirit when we sing 'you ascended to the heavens', so surely it should be plural in the Lord's prayer, shouldn't it?

in case we have someone who would like to look at the original greek, the whole prayer is here (from the liturgy of saint john chrysostom), the first word is 'laos' ('people', as in coptic) and is not part of the prayer, and then you have 'iereus' ('priest') further down, as only the priest says the last part in the greek church;

Λαός: Πάτερ ἡμῶν, ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς· ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου, ἐλθέτω
    ἡ βασιλεία σου, γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου, ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς. Τὸν ἄρτον
    ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον. Καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν, ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς
    ἀφίεμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν. Καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς
    ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ.

Ἱερεύς: τι
    σο
    στιν βασιλεία κα δύναμις κα δόξα, το Πατρς κα το Υο κα το γίου Πνεύματος, νν κα ε κα ες τος αἰῶνας τν αώνων.