Jesus Prayer

edited May 2020 in Faith Issues
Is this accepted as the Jesus Prayer by saying the following: "Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me." can this be counted as me saying the Jesus prayer. I can't say the longer version because of blasphemous thoughts and I know I should be able to and I will hopefully.Please pray for me and my weakness

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Yes, the mere remembrance or mentioning of the name of Christ, is the Jesus prayer, in fact!

- O my Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, Have mercy upon me a sinner.
    - Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have mercy on me.
    - Lord Jesus Christ, Have mercy on me a sinner.
    - Jesus Christ, Have mercy on me.
    - "Jesus"

I personally Love the fact that simply repeating the name of Jesus, is enough to bring Peace in our hearts and bring Joy to our souls, it's true what we say in the Saturday Psali; 
    "Remembering Your holy name, brings joy to our souls, 
    O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior." 

It is worthy to note though, that the original formula of the prayer is:
    "O My Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, Have Mercy upon me a sinner."

I'm concerned though, what do you mean "I can't say the longer version because of blasphemous thoughts and I know I should be able to and I will hopefully"

+ God Bless +
  • Its difficult to express when I say God out of my mouth inside at the same time I have a weird bad feeling and my thoughts ( specifically that feeling) make me feel like I have blasphemed by mistake. i dont mean to have this feeling, but its part of my illness I guess. Pray for me
  • Saying 'God' gives you blasphemous thoughts?
  • When I say Gods name or someone says the name of the Lord I have a weird feeling at the same time and it there are blasphemous thoughts that come in my mind, I really wish I didnt feel this way Im not controlling my mind to be like this if you think that I force this myself. I know its hard to understand but only if you were to actually experience this you'd understand Im not trying to be insensitive
  • edited May 2020
    That's called doubt, my friend. It's normal. You can say, "Our Lord", "Pantocrator", call on the Theotokos and other saints. I ask St. Moses the Strong to help me control my deep feelings of wanting to unleash bodily harm on other people. God knows what you need. Sometimes just sitting quietly works.

Complexity in prayer isn't the idea. If you look at every Liturgy formulation in our church, it starts out in the exact same format. Personal prayer is what works for you. Say, "The Father of our Lord (cut out God) and Savior Jesus Christ." Start out with an, "Our Lord", then go on and from there. Think of it like building a home: start at the foundation, then the floor, walls, etc. Remember, it's between you and, "Our Lord."
  • Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥⲟⲩⲥ Ⲡⲓⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲟⲥ: Ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⲙ̀Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ [ⲫⲏⲉⲧⲟⲛϧ]: ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ: [ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲉ] ⲟⲩⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ.
    My Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the [Living] God, have mercy on me, I, the/a sinner.