y arent grls aloud to read the bible during the liturgy?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
well thats the question... ???

Comments

• For the same reason we can't go in the haikal
  • "Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. 1 corinth. 14:34-35
  • Why is it exactly that women arent allowed to do abything in the church.. by anything i mean well u know... do what the deacons do, go into the masbe7... etc.???
  • because God made these services for men.... and God made services for women... which can be found in another thread... ;)
  • i heard it was because eve sinned 1st, she introduced the sin to adam and now givez grlz a bad reputation...so we cant do anything at church now...? :-\
  • aaww, not fair, lol, but didnt he redeem us from our sin?? and adam took and ate from it too but guys are deacons, adam didnt HAVE to listen to eve, he chose to....
  • Actually girls are allowed to be outside of the haikal and praise with the deacons during communion..we just can't go in the haikal or read the gospel and etc. because we're "unclean" as so I've learned..
  • it's not a matter of clean and unclean, after the incarnation the body is sacred, with the Holy Spirit dwelling in it.

Not only women can't enter the haikal, but also men and non serving deacons can't enter, only the priests and serving deacons, so it's not a matter of women or men.

In old days, people actually didn't even enter for communion, but they received it through these sort of windows lol

as for women not being allowed to readd the gospell, it's because this is the role of the Oghnostos => Reader (and higher ranks), and female deacons don't serve during the Liturgy, so consequently they can't read the gospel church, that's how i understand it, any other opinions? :D
  • "Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. 1 corinth. 14:34-35

A priest once said that this actually was intended for the women at that time. Meaning, women in that time, were strong in personality and would literally pray instead of the men. At that time, the converts were picking up from their worship to the godess that many were worshiping and I think it was Diana... so, when St. Paul saw this, he told them that the women shouldn't pick up from their past traditions or pagan ways of worshipping and leadership, ie; priests in the temple of Diana, who were women, but should be quiet in the church. They were still in their action of being more superior than the men. This wasn't a sexist statement or unequality between the men. Rather, a form od discipline.

I'm not quite sure of this, but hopefully, this is the meaning that my priest was explaining.

+God Bless You+
  • I agree with Hos Erof, Not all men are allowed in the alter and if we follow tradition only Readers (Ognostos) are allowed to read the Bible (or any other reading) These are the second degree Deacons. And as you may or may not know, but Deaconship is a rank of Priesthood.
    We, as a Coptic Orthodox Church, recognize seven orders for priesthood. They are 5 deacon ranks and 2 in what we call today priesthood. They are in Order:
    Epsaltos (Singer)
    Ognostos (Reader)
    Sub-Deacon (Assistant to a Deacon)
    Deacon (Full Deacon)
    Arch-Deacon (A leader of deacons)
    Priest
    Hegoman (Protopriest)

We hear this in Every liturgy when the response in the allter goes (Pray for Hegomans, priests, deacons, sub-deacons and the Seven Orders of the Chruch Of God)

So the reason why Ladies don't read or serv in the alter is simply beacuse they do not hold any priesthood ranks. That Has nothing to do with Original sin, etc... it is just that they have a different role in the church (Read more about it in acts) So ladies, don't get upset
  • So ladies, don't get upset

nicely put lol, i agree 200% :D

About this, someone told me once that it means that women are not allowed to teach men in the church. So it doesn't mean that they cant sing with the deacons in church.
  • can people plz stop using that verse,
    its o bviously not meant to be taken literally
    unless ur suggesting that women are creatures that should not be recognised by men as an equal,
    i dont mean t o be rude but unless u get the book explaining that verse, and it says its meant to be taken literally than dont bother using it.

Awad (and everyone obviously)..I dont think this verse has anything to do with equality whether its taken literally or not. The point is it is Biblical and The Orthodox Church being an Apostolic church rightly emphasizes traditions and does things as our fathers the Apostles did. As a female, I dont think we should take offense to this verse at all. In fact Im thankful we do things the "Apostolic Way" because look how many teachings and traditions it has preserved for us and the strength it gives our Mother the Church and the assurance it gives us that we have not strayed from the path that is The Way. If we as women are not meant formally speak in the Church then Im glad our church teaches us that as oppose to us commiting a sin due to ignorance. This is just an example of one precept we check ourselves for, just as we as females are careful to abstain from communion during certain times of the month etc. etc.

The Bible does not give us reason to believe woman are not equal to men as we are all valued by God as His children.

p.s. Sumone made a comment saying sumthing along the lines of "what are we supposed to walk around with a veil the way muslims do". Although I dont see how it ties in with the verse, my answer to that is the veil is prolly one of the better things you'll find in islam. If a Christian woman covers her hair (as we do in church) for the purpose of dressing in a modest apparel (as the Bible calls us to do anyways) then she is in fact following a commandment...of course appropriate clothes cuts it to :) but u see my point.