Copticworld article

edited November 2014 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Can anyone tell me why an article with heterodox implications was posted on CopticWorld?

https://www.copticworld.org/articles/3893/

Is this wrong or am I overreacting? Most importantly, how can we get this removed?

Comments

• A Diverse and Powerful Egyptian Church
    Nov. 17, 2014, 4:32 a.m.

In June and July of 2013, Tahrir Square became a place where history was made. This Cairo, Egypt landmark housed the largest outpouring of protest against the radical Jihadist agenda in the Middle East, with estimates of over 20 million people protesting the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood. The loss of power for the Muslim Brotherhood brought repercussions to Egyptian Christians, both Coptic and evangelical, as the Brotherhood sought to both appeal for support among Islamic radicals, and punish Christians for speaking out against the brutality of the Muslim Brotherhood. Hundreds of churches were burned to the ground, homes and businesses were attacked and many Christians lost their lives.

As CEO of Open Doors USA, I have the privilege of regularly interacting with heroes of the faith, people who have suffered great persecution. I often meet people who have lost their entire families, businesses and homes, simply because they choose to be followers of Jesus. I was in Tahrir Square last January when Egyptians voted to adopt the new constitution and chart a path away from the rule of Islamic Jihadists. I watched as the Brotherhood demonstrated with violence, desperately trying to hold on to their death-grip of power over Egyptians. And I watched as Christians were targeted for brutality.

But just days ago, I returned again from Egypt. What I saw this time was a Church that has grown strong in spite of the horrendous difficulties that it faces. I saw Christians, both Coptic and evangelical, who have come to understand they must seek a common path together in faith. These are important first steps. What I saw was the first steps in the rebuilding of an Egyptian Christian Church focused on the saving grace of Jesus.

There are more Christians living in Egypt than in any other nation in the Middle East, and I believe Egyptian Christians can be a model for what could happen in other countries in the Middle East. Christians around the world can learn from how Egyptian Christians have responded to the upheaval in their country by coming together with what unites them—faith in Christ—rather than what divides them—doctrinal differences.

What is happening in Egypt brings into focus the fundamental truth that the Church is not a building. Buildings can burn but the real Church, the community of believers, cannot be destroyed. It has always been about the redeeming power of Jesus and how that affects us as individuals and as a community together. The idea of the Church as an edifice can be tempting for all Christians, no matter what country. As a lover of architecture and history, I am so thankful we have wonderful cathedrals throughout the world as a testimony to the faithfulness and strength of the Christian faith. But we cannot comfort ourselves by thinking that these important structures in any way indicate the strength of the movement of Jesus in modern life. During the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood, faith was pushed out of churches and into homes and even into the street. People are learning that faith is not a matter of what church building you attend on Sunday, but rather, the values and the redemption Jesus taught in the Scriptures.

Next, anyone who is a follower of Jesus, seeking forgiveness by trusting in the work Jesus did on the cross, is part of the family. It's sad to report that many modern movements silently condemn Orthodox faiths, such as the Coptics of Egypt, because of the importance they put on their ancient traditions and rituals. Yet during these times of trouble in Egypt, despite differing traditions and theology, evangelical and Orthodox believers alike were killed for refusing to recant their faith in Jesus. Orthodox believers, who have stood by their faith for centuries, must be viewed as equal within the family of Christian faith. Whatever our denomination or tradition, let us discuss our theological differences with respect and love. Egyptian believers have taught us that there is only one Church in Egypt, and it is stronger when it is unified.

While these are still early days of a post-Brotherhood rule, I am encouraged by the progress Egypt has made in just one year. I'm also hopeful that the Middle East and the rest the world will take note of the lessons that can be learned from the example of Egypt's Christians in the face of persecution.
  • who wrote this?
    we can't log in without an account.
    maybe the opinion of the writer (sounds protestant) is that the churches are coming closer together.
    maybe this means they are rediscovering orthodox Christianity.

don't panic!
    investigate!
    :-)
  • edited November 2014
    The author is obviously Protestant. No further information is provided from CopticWorld apart from what I have posted above, except that the article is sourced from 'The Christian Post'.

"coming together with what unites them—faith in Christ—rather than what divides them—doctrinal differences."
    Doesn't sound like they're discovering Orthodoxy.

"the first steps in the rebuilding of an Egyptian Christian Church focused on the saving grace of Jesus."
    Only 1 Egyptian Christian church? Without the Protestants discovering Orthodoxy (see above)? This is contrary to Orthodox ecclesiology.

"People are learning that faith is not a matter of what church building you attend on Sunday, but rather, the values and the redemption Jesus taught in the Scriptures. Next, anyone who is a follower of Jesus, seeking forgiveness by trusting in the work Jesus did on the cross, is part of the family."
    'what church building' obviously entails your 'denomination', since people of different denominations attend different church buildings. This is also clearly the meaning of the author, despite hiding behind this euphemism, since the whole article has been about interdenominational relations. So basically he is downplaying the importance of doctrine and suggests that this is somehow different from your 'faith'.

"Orthodox believers, who have stood by their faith for centuries, must be viewed as equal within the family of Christian faith"
    Orthodoxy is not equal, but superior to Protestantism. To suggest otherwise is dangerous, and ecumenism gone wrong. Obviously it is natural for a Protestant to write this, but there was no disclaimer on CopticWorld that this is written from a non-Orthodox perspective, suggesting full approval.
    If he is talking about Orthodox people, obviously we are equal to Protestants, but so are Muslims, atheists and Satanists.

"there is only one Church in Egypt, and it is stronger when it is unified."
    There is indeed 1 Church in Egypt, but it does not necessarily include Protestants, and it is already unified. Unless the author was talking about unity within Orthodoxy, which I somehow doubt.

The reason I am particularly not happy with this article being posted is that, according to HG Bishop Youssef, this sort of false ecumenism is a "dangerous and false teaching" making inroads into the Coptic Orthodox Church.
    Please see: http://returntoorthodoxy.com/bishop-youssef-true-christian-unity/
  • edited November 2014
  • @mikeforjesus

I agree with most of what you said, but this discussion is not about who's going to heaven or hell. So if you wish to discuss this, I kindly ask you to open another discussion so as not to spam this one.
  • edited November 2014
    My apologies friend 
  • My apologies friend 

No worries, Mike.
  • @qawe,

You are absolutely right about the fallacy of this article. But what is worse is that this is not about ecumenism. This is about Protestant infestation. I went to their website. It is nothing more than an international non-denominational Protestant non-profit organization which at the surface has very good Orthodox philosophies. But deep down it introduces Protestant language to minimize and (in my opinion) deceptively attack Orthodoxy. 

Orthodoxy is not about a church building but faith in the Church revealed by the Trinity. This includes the authority of the disciples, apostolic succession, the Church's hierarchy, ecclesiology, theology, Christology, and so on. To simply state we are all one because we all believe in Jesus Christ and nothing else matters is not just false ecumenism, it is an attack on the Faith that was handed down to us. It is an attack on the persecuted Christians who died for God and the Orthodox faith. They share nothing with Orthodox Christians (not even the persecution). 

In addition, under the "what we do" in their FAQ, they state "Open Doors' outreach includes Bible and Christian literature distributionleadership training and assistance, Christian community developmentprayer and presence ministry and advocacy for the persecuted." (emphasis is theirs). This implies that persecuted Christians in these lands do not have an adequate distribution of biblical and Christian literature, no leadership, no community presence, no prayer and presence ministry, and no advocacy for the persecuted. This is the operating lie of Protestantism. Go to lands that have Orthodoxy and claim they have nothing, not even bibles. They fail to recognize that there is more prayer and presence ministry than they can ever provide, there is the largest Christian community in the Coptic Orthodox Church in the Middle East, the leadership the Coptic Church offers is not political advocacy but the blood of the martyrs. By doing so they have claimed no respect for Orthodoxy. 

There are so many problems with this article and this organization that it would be an exercise in futility to enumerate them. Let's give CopticWorld the benefit of the doubt that this was an oversight on their part to allow such Protestant nonsense disseminated to all Orthodox faithful. Of course, they should be made aware of the problem.