The Book of Enoch

12346»

Comments

• Here this from an actual ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH FOLLOWER
    We have discussed this issue at church, what our teacher told us is that the "fallen angels" mentions in the book of Enoch are sons of Adam who were living in celibacy (except once in their life time which the whole purpose is to have babies and continue their blood line) with praising the Lord. That is why they were called angels since angels live praising the lord. What it means when it talks about how they saw humans and were tempted by lust is when these people actually let go of their celibate way of life and wanted to live like the other sons of Adam who were doing all sorts of sinful stuff.

You all should have asked about what it means than go through 12 pages of discussion on nothing.
  • Kal, That is the accepted view, or I should say the majority view. Now I may have said this in a previous post but in the MT "sons of God" or Bene Ha-Elohim is only ever used in reference to angelic beings, not humans. Bene Elohim would be used in reference to say "sons of Adam." The LXX actually refers to nephilim, their offspring, as titans. This may or may not be a reference to Greek Mythology in that Titans were awful beings. 

Another reason I choose to believe in actual angels are demons. I cannot fathom how an angel, who has their own body, would enter into a human being. It seems just as implausible that a fallen angel or angel could ever possess a human. How can a being with their own body enter into another? However, if the story in Enoch and Gen 6 is true then it makese complete sense. The offspring have no place to go and therefore seek a body to inhabit. Being part angel it cannot enter into heaven, being part human it cannot enter hades. 

But to be honest this is of no real consequence, it has nothing to do with salvation and even my teacher St Cyril states pretty clearly that these beings were "sons of Adam." So while I have my own personal beliefs, I have to err on the side of caution.
  • I have no idea about this but here are some questions to cone to mine.
    Is this descent of angels the same as we in revolations?
    Was this before adam and eve? Who is the serpent invthe garden.
    I always been intreasted in demons and angels so this brings up a lot of questions for me.
  • In all honesty we should be focusing on Christ.
  • Yes we should be focusing on Christ
    WebRep
    currentVote
    noRating
    noWeight
    But to answer aschauer82's question...this was not before Adam and Eve, they are actually descendants of Seth, Adam's son
  • I keep an open mind, I do not think its beyond the realm of possibility that angels did cohabit with women, especially since we know of DNA and how it can be used to create all sorts of things, even goats that have spider DNA enabling them to have the silk of the spider be produced as milk, dead serious about that one. But, either way it is not relevant to our salvation and therefore its not worth a debate. 
  • Hello. I am of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church and the Ge'ez version of the Book of Enoch and Book of Jubilees states that the "angels" were actually the disobedient offspring of Seth while the "daughters of man" were the unrighteous descendants of Cain. This view was also held by Simeon bar Yochai, Clementine literature, Sextus Julius Africanus, Ephrem the Syrian, Augustine of Hippo, and John Chrysostom along with many other people and sources.

• Hello. I am of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church and
    the Ge'ez version of the Book of Enoch and Book of Jubilees states that
    the "angels" were actually the disobedient offspring of Seth while the
    "daughters of man" were the unrighteous descendants of Cain. This view
    was also held by Simeon bar Yochai, Clementine literature, Sextus Julius
    Africanus, Ephrem the Syrian, Augustine of Hippo, and John Chrysostom
    along with many other people and sources.
  • hi, yes, this is what most orthodox Christians i spoke to believe
    :)