Confession

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i understand way confession must take place and must be done with an aboona and not directly with Christ...but then again say there was a person who was a christian and believed that confession should only take place between them and God....what will become of that person and how do you change there minds.....because i see confess as a HUGE PART of christianity and knowing God...its lyk taking a white t-shirt ... and every time you sin you soak it in God's Blood...and confession is like washing the t-shirt to the point where it is white again....but i really could see way its hard for some people to see that!!! can u guys help me out....GBU :) :)

Comments

• [quote author=arubaiscrazy link=board=1;threadid=943;start=0#msg16440 date=1104201466]
    its lyk taking a white t-shirt ... and every time you sin you soak it in God's Blood...and confession is like washing the t-shirt to the point where it is white again....

i really really really love the way u put these words.. omg that makes me wanna cry :'(.. neways umm i think u shud try to explain it to him/her.. u kno explain wut abouna does and wut's the big deal abt telling abouna and tell him/her that abouna is just like a wire that conects u to God to tell him to forgive u ur sins.. u kno??
    well hope i helped.. even tho i just kno i didn't.. but at least i tried.. ;D ;D
    GOOD LUCK SWEETIE!! :-* :-*

Rina ;)
  • the thing is the always reply saying why cant i just go straight to God and confess to him.... :-\ :-\
  • well they sure ask a nice question.. ::).. i dunno.. :-\ ???
  • its lyk taking a white t-shirt ... and every time you sin you soak it in God's Blood...and confession is like washing the t-shirt to the point where it is white again

It’s more like you soak it up in mud... and God's blood is what cleans it again...

but then again say there was a person who was a christian and believed that confession should only take place between them and God

Well if he loves God, and is a Christian he would know God's commands to mosses, God told Moses to have Confession, to a priest.
  • If they ask u y cant u confess directly to God the answer is simple: u have to, lolx

If u dont repent and confess to God first, u cant confess ur sins to the priest.
    Also there is a whole thred on y we should confess to a priest in the other forum Coptic Orthodox Church....I'm gonna post exactly what i posted last time concerning this topic...

In H.H Pope Shendouda's book Spiritual Means, he brings up the four elemnents of confession. He talks about how you first have to confess to God himself and repent. Then you must go confess to your confession father, then to those whom u have sinned against, and finally to yourself.

1) Confession to God: We must first confess our sins to Christ and seek forgiveness from him because when we commit our sins to our fellow brothers and sisters it is as though you are commiting them to Jesus Himself. It says in Psalm 51:4 "Against you, you only have I sinned and done this evil in your sight", therefore we always have to confess to God himself first because u have commited this sin before him FIRST than anyone else.

2) Confession to your FOC: There are many reasons why we have to confess to our spiritual fathers; we have to confess to them because they are as stewards of the mysteries og God as it says in 1 Corinthians 4:1"Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of ?God." We also need to confess to a priest because he is the only one that can grant us the permission to partake of the Holy communion and give us the absolution. Our confession fathers are here so that we as youth have guidance and support in our lives. No man or woman can be trusted as much as your confession father because they will never judge you according to your sin or laugh at you or call you stupid like ur friends would, he will only try to help you and guide you to correct your mistake. Don't forget also that the Bible says "Confess your trespasses to one another"(ionno where that is)

3)Confession to those You've sinned against: The only reason that we need to confess to those we've sinned against is so that we wipe out any feeling of anger and tension between us and them."One of my favorite verses, "Therefore, bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother and then come offer your gift"(Matthew 5:23-24)

4) Confession to self: We must always confess or admitt our sins to ourselves always because if you can't admitt your sins before yourself, how can you present them before the Lord? If confessing to yourself does not happen, you will be reluctant to do all of those things. You can confess to a priest because u didnt confess to yourself, u cant confess to God because there's no admitting that you were wrong and that u have sinned against Him and you will not want to reconcile with ur brother or nething/neone else for that matter.

So, i'm sorry this was long, but its just i have so much to say because i've always asked this question and wondered about it and i found that the book Spiritual Means was the only one that answered it really, so i hope this helped a little and sorry 4 the length guys

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • sorry i dont mean to put any1 down....but what if this person isnt as spiritual...not meaning they dont pray or anything...meaning they wont understand what it means for a priest to give us the absolution....is there lyk an easier way to explain to them...hey guys what happens if you never confessed in your life...but you are a good christian...if that makes sense :) :)
  • confession is scary :(
  • it is scary but also very important...lol..
  • does anybody else happen to have an abouna who keeps laughing at a lot of stories u tell him during confession? lol
    sometimes it's just a chat full of laughs and jokes ::) ;D
  • arubaiscrazy...when they ask you why cant you just confess to God you should try explaining to them that that is what your doing when you confess to a priest.............its a Sacrament therefore God is present and your repentence is to God....I *thinkkk*the issue with confessing to a priest vs direct confession to God boils down to the fact that the Orthodox teachings are more "complete"...i dont think God won't hear a sinners repentence b/c they didnt go to a priest but I think confession to a priest is the ORTHODOX way....basically, as Abouna Thomas Flanagan says (an Irish Convert & a reallly great priest!!) you can't go wrong with the Orthodox way & its better safe than sorry :) :D
  • Listen you may think that talking to God directly is easy but it isn't because you will be shy nad the priest tells your sins to God in an easier way like the priest is a telephone to God Like you talk to the priest (the telephone no offense or anything) and the priest tells it to God That is it
    Hope i helped in any kind of way.